Gas additive

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

rickf
General
General

Gas additive

Unread post by rickf » April 8th, 2009, 12:44 pm

Since I cannot convince Bob to come over to out side I am going to copy a post he put on the 503. Good info to have.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:10 am Post subject: Star Tron Fuel Additive Reply with quote
I know we've been over the ethanol fuel situation many times, but while visiting my local marine supply store, I asked the guy behind the counter what boat owners are now using at the Jersey shore. As much of a headache as it is for us jeep owners, it must be a real problem for boats, especially ones used on salt water.

There are actually two issues as I see it. One is the ethanol (like alcohol) in the gasoline today. Alcohol attracts water. Water attracts organizms that can mess up the gasoline. The second issue is the varnish build up that goes along with this. This is a major contributor toward varnishing up the inside of your idle jet passageway, resulting in the horrendous carb problems (Zenith carb) I mentioned in another thread. If you gum up your idle passageway, you're going to know it, believe me.

The guy behind the counter highly recommended Star Tron over anything else. He said the stuff really works great for marine use and most serious boaters around here are now using it. Here's the Marine page on Star Tron's website:

http://mystarbrite.com/startron//conten ... 0/lang,en/

There is also a U-Tube video on Star Tron:

http://mystarbrite.com/startron//conten ... 2/lang,en/

I picked up a bottle and am going to start using it and will report back here toward the end of the summer. Initially, the manufacturer recommends doubling up on the dosage. This is to start cleaning out the fuel tank, the lines and the carb. The one thing the marine supply store guy recommended was to check your fuel filter often when first using it because it's going to release extra stuff into the fuel line. It's probably not a bad idea to change the fuel filter a couple of times until you think the tank, lines and carb are cleaned out pretty good.

This product claims to also remove carbon and varnish buildup, which should definately help to eliminate the varnish problem in the idle jet passageway on the Zenith. The other thing I've been doing for a couple of years now is pumping out older gas into my Tahoe every once in a while if the gas is older than, say, 3 months. As shown in another thread, I rigged up a simple auxiliary electric fuel pump and it's a simple matter to just transfer the older gasoline.

I have been using Sta-Bil religiously and have not tried their marine version, which they claim is more powerful than their regular automotive version. Their marine version is probably the equivalent of Star Tron. Here's Sta-Bil's website if you prefer to use their product or can't find Star Tron:

http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/default.aspx

If anyone else has been using a heavier-duty marine stabilizer for their gasoline, please let us know how it's working for you. As I said, I'll periodically bump up this thread to let you know how I'm making out with this additive in my M151A2.

Army Basic, AIT and OCS: Ft. Knox, KY (1967)
82nd Airborne Division: Ft. Bragg, NC (1968)
South Vietnamese Combat Advisor RVN (1969)
Owner: 1972 M151A2
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

sherwan_88
Major
Major

Re: Gas additive

Unread post by sherwan_88 » April 8th, 2009, 2:35 pm

Hey Rick

Since you've brought this up i would like to ask something,
We've got 50% Ethanol and 50% Gasoline, what would be the drawbacks and effects of it on my Mutt?
Sherwan

1982 M825 (Former)
Muttless at the moment. :(
The Last Of Its Kind. A Ton Of American Steel.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » April 21st, 2009, 7:52 pm

Sherwan, sorry for the late reply, your post got buried. 50/50 huh? I am surprised it starts without a shot of straight gas or either! It is going to raise hell with your fuel pump diaphragm and also your accelerator pump in your carburetor. It will also attack the steel fuel lines and tank. Alcohol is very hygroscopic and absorbs water from the air. Therefor you always have a little moisture in the system. newer cars that are designed for the new fuels have stainless fuel systems to avoid the problems.

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » April 21st, 2009, 8:05 pm

You should also notice a loss of power compared to gasoline. Alcohol has only about 50% of the energy density compared to gasoline.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

sherwan_88
Major
Major

Unread post by sherwan_88 » April 22nd, 2009, 6:22 am

Rick,
The ratio is going to change to 65% Ethanol and 35% Gasoline, so this means it will more dangerous.
What can i do to keep the tank, fuel pump and the carburetor safe?
Fuel lines are of rubber so no worries for them.

Raymond,
Liquid Fuel Rockets were powered by Ethanol and Professional Drag Racers are powered by Ethanol.
If it has less energy than gasoline, what would be the purpose of using Ethanol and not Gasoline? Just curious.
Sherwan

1982 M825 (Former)

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » April 22nd, 2009, 7:20 am

Higher octane :?:
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

toptiger
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by toptiger » April 22nd, 2009, 7:48 am

I am sure you can find av gas {110ll} in Pakistan, no? That's what I have been using in my M151, but then I don't drive it a lot, just around town. One advantage is that is doesn't go sour.
Author M-151 MUTT, The Vietnam Jeep
Paper edition http://www.blurb.com/books/1646321
IOS ebook iBookstore: http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/id598605516
2 M151A2s, M416 trailer, M274A5 Mule,
Former Army Aviator, Bien Hoa, VN 1968-69
Mustang Gunship Platoon Commander
68th Assault Helicopter Company 'Top Tigers'
Central Florida and France

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » April 22nd, 2009, 9:36 am

Liquid fuel rockets are powered by alcohol but mixed with hydrogen peroxide, BIG BANG!!!!!!!

Race cars have very high compression, that is how they can run alcohol. In some of my alky cars I had to give it a shot of gas to get it started on a cool day. I have no suggestions for the pump and carb. The tank can be lined and the lines can be changed to stainless steel.

BTW I was running 12:1 compression in my race cars. Just a little higher than the 7:1 in a mutt!

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

ccandgc
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by ccandgc » April 22nd, 2009, 10:25 am

one major drawback to that crap in the gas these days, the older car seals and such are not able to stand up to the harsh chemicals in that stuff, and it destroys the seals and everything not resistant all thru the fuel system... :(
-Chad
1971 AMG M151A2 Mutt
1966 Stevens M416

sherwan_88
Major
Major

Unread post by sherwan_88 » April 22nd, 2009, 12:24 pm

toptiger wrote:I am sure you can find av gas {110ll} in Pakistan, no? That's what I have been using in my M151, but then I don't drive it a lot, just around town. One advantage is that is doesn't go sour.
110 is called Super here, i believe that is 50/50.
Sherwan

1982 M825 (Former)

sherwan_88
Major
Major

Unread post by sherwan_88 » April 22nd, 2009, 12:26 pm

rickf wrote:Liquid fuel rockets are powered by alcohol but mixed with hydrogen peroxide, BIG BANG!!!!!!!

Race cars have very high compression, that is how they can run alcohol. In some of my alky cars I had to give it a shot of gas to get it started on a cool day. I have no suggestions for the pump and carb. The tank can be lined and the lines can be changed to stainless steel.

BTW I was running 12:1 compression in my race cars. Just a little higher than the 7:1 in a mutt!

Rick
12:1 :shock: what engine did you use? how did you keep it cool ? Liquid Nitrogen! :roll: :lol: :lol:
Sherwan

1982 M825 (Former)

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » April 22nd, 2009, 12:53 pm

The engine I ran the most was a 427 Chevy. As far as cooling I used a stock radiator. If you have ever seen an alcohol engine run you will notice the intake is completely frosted over, alcohol evaporates very quickly so it will run very cold through the carburetor. It has much less heat energy than gasoline but a much higher octane rating so you can run very high compression ratios and advance your timing much further. On the down side is the fact that you will use almost exactly twice as much alcohol as you would gas to make the same power. The exhaust is very irritating also, more then once I went down the track with tears streaming from my eyes!

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » April 22nd, 2009, 2:56 pm

sherwan_88 wrote: how did you keep it cool ? Liquid Nitrogen! :roll: :lol: :lol:
Sherwan

Drag racing is a straight line race for 1/4 mile. The engines usually aren't running for very long before they are shut off, so they are not running hot for long extended periods.

Raymond
Raymond

toptiger
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by toptiger » April 22nd, 2009, 4:07 pm

Sherwan- 100 Low Lead is gasoline for piston aircraft- no alcohol is allowed in mixture. You local airport should have some unless, of course, private flying and civilian aircraft ownership are forbidden in Pakistan.
Author M-151 MUTT, The Vietnam Jeep
Paper edition http://www.blurb.com/books/1646321
IOS ebook iBookstore: http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/id598605516
2 M151A2s, M416 trailer, M274A5 Mule,
Former Army Aviator, Bien Hoa, VN 1968-69
Mustang Gunship Platoon Commander
68th Assault Helicopter Company 'Top Tigers'
Central Florida and France

sherwan_88
Major
Major

Unread post by sherwan_88 » April 22nd, 2009, 5:05 pm

Rick! Holy Smokes! A Chevy 427! WOW :shock: :shock: I would love to see some pictures of those sweet rides! PLEASE!

Raymond, I know what drag racing is, the other day there was documentary on TV, they said if the engine was to run for more than 13 seconds it was toast, on the other hand getting it to put out a 1000bhp was a piece a cake.

Top,
Yes private aircraft are forbidden, it has to do something with Politicians, Army and the Rich! Talk about Democracy :lol: :P
Sherwan

1982 M825 (Former)