OLDEST MUTT ALIVE !

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

homerguy
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Re: OLDEST MUTT ALIVE !

Unread post by homerguy » April 24th, 2009, 9:42 pm

The foil tag IS on top of the frame rail drivers side just behind the radiator body # 234. The DOD is 12/60. I wish I had the original hood to go with the four latches. Also the battery box lid that came on the jeep had four latches but that has been replaced also. Does anyone have a early floor drain cover? This Mutt is nearly perfect underneath!

homerguy
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

UPDATE

Unread post by homerguy » May 9th, 2009, 9:14 pm

Today I removed the channel that runs behind the front seats and covers the radio wires. I was happy to find in very small font: RUN #1 stamped behind the drivers seat. This confirms that this body #234 was from the first batch of M151's delivered in 1960. Does anyone know exactly where the underside channels are marked ? Still looking for pictures of a 4 latch hood.
thanks!

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » May 10th, 2009, 2:56 pm

homerguy wrote:The foil tag IS on top of the frame rail drivers side just behind the radiator body # 234. The DOD is 12/60. I wish I had the original hood to go with the four latches. Also the battery box lid that came on the jeep had four latches but that has been replaced also. Does anyone have a early floor drain cover? This Mutt is nearly perfect underneath!
homerguy wrote:The foil tag IS on top of the frame rail drivers side just behind the radiator body # 234. The DOD is 12/60. I wish I had the original hood to go with the four latches. Also the battery box lid that came on the jeep had four latches but that has been replaced also. Does anyone have a early floor drain cover? This Mutt is nearly perfect underneath!

Homie,

Don't waste time looking for pictures of a 4-latch hood. They won't show up....ever.... The extra 2 x latches were almost certainly added to stop the hood rattling at the rear end. It was also an unofficial mod to the WWII Ford-Willys jeeps too. It was never a factory issue.
Despite what you may have heard, the same applies to the "glove box" version. It never happened officially, either.

However, the 4-latch battery box cover is a different story. The original 60-61 M151's were issued with a 4-latch cover but these proved to be so cumbersome to attach/detach (the 2-latch version is bad enough!!!) that the Mil issued a formal MWO to remove two of the latches (one on either side, diagonally opposed). Also, the edge of the rim of the cover was trimmed to allow it to fit more easily. The MWO was issued in December 1961 and that's why a 4-latch cover is a rarity, as the MWO should have been applied to ALL issued vehicles at that date.

Hope this helps...................
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

Flyboy740
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by Flyboy740 » May 10th, 2009, 9:30 pm

Mutuguru,

My alluminum tag is long gone, nearest the radiator, where esle on the M151 would I find the production number? I have a 1960 M151 with the stamp behind the drivers seat. My battery compartment has the 4 latches but the cover only has the two.

Thanks in advance....Glynn
Glynn

If you don't stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them

MVPA #29026
USMCR 1976-1979
KY ARNG 1979-1996 (retired)
KSP (retired)
PGR member

1960 Ford M151
1966 Stevens M416