Epay/No More Military Parts

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

miljeep
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Epay/No More Military Parts

Unread post by miljeep » May 4th, 2009, 12:06 pm

I was talking to a M151 parts dealer and he was saying as of May 9th epay will not allow military vehicles, parts and anything else they pertains to this type of hobbie to be sold there. I guess there will be a big advertising gain in supply line and MVM for sale items. Scott out

SEABEE62
Fleet Admiral

Re: Epay/No More Military Parts

Unread post by SEABEE62 » May 4th, 2009, 2:31 pm

Or it may pertain to paramilitary items being sold on the market. Man the Mutts !!!!!! We're outlawed again. Seabee
1971 M151A2 MUTT , M416 trailer
NMCB 62, Delta Co.,BU2, Gulfport, MS Home Port
VFW 3838, American Legion 63
Seabee Association of America LM , NMCB 62 Assoc.
"Performance Under Fire" US Navy Seabees '69-'72
National Assoc. of Atomic Veterans/ Amchitka
SEMO University Vet Corp Alumni
MVPA#32091

miljeep
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by miljeep » May 4th, 2009, 4:28 pm

I guess it might bring back a resurgence in classifieds in Supply Line and Military Vehicles Magazine just like the old days.
Scott out

mightybaldone
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by mightybaldone » May 4th, 2009, 8:26 pm

Just called E-Bay and talked with two reps and a supervisor. There is no plan or policy change that will effect military parts, books or items. The same restrictions apply that have always applied. E-Bay did say that some venders are dropping E-Bay prior to May 8 because of the protection plan change. E-Bay will now handle most of the complaints rather that Pay-Pal. They would not say why the venders are dropping out.
66 & 69 M151A1C
74 M151A2
M416A1
NRA Life Member
Life member: DAV, VFW, American Legion
Retired MP
MVPA 31462 and AR MVPA

gpready
usmc cwo3
usmc cwo3

Unread post by gpready » May 4th, 2009, 9:39 pm

mightybaldone wrote:Just called E-Bay and talked with two reps and a supervisor. There is no plan or policy change that will effect military parts, books or items. The same restrictions apply that have always applied. E-Bay did say that some venders are dropping E-Bay prior to May 8 because of the protection plan change. E-Bay will now handle most of the complaints rather that Pay-Pal. They would not say why the venders are dropping out.
Not a e-bay fan regardless. Shipping fees are borderline communist! But.... :lol: That makes more sense. I can't see e-bay kicking the MV vendors or its clientele to the curb.....or even how they could differentiate between convention auto parts other than a lable name.

Joe
1976 M151A2 USMC

toptiger
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by toptiger » May 5th, 2009, 6:08 am

I am not an eBay fan any longer.
When the new CEO he set his strategy on catching up to Amazon's fixed price concept { this in all other areas in addition to the original Amazon focus on books} he has alienated sellers who have left to go elsewhere {Amazon mostly}.
He has continued to tighten eBay and change long standing practices {like being able to snipe other ebay buyers by looking up their bids} that have served to piss off buyers, too.
I used to do some things for an ebay partner {liveauctioneers} but a few months ago he broke the relationship. No reasonable explanation given so I was not surprised.
I am glad to see the rumor on Mil Vehicles was not accurate as I do check it from time to time. This site {thanks again Moose} with its many suppliers and knowledgeable, generous people would have minimized much of the impact for our outlaw jeeps, but just the same ebay does a purpose, as limited and unpleasant as it now is.
Author M-151 MUTT, The Vietnam Jeep
Paper edition http://www.blurb.com/books/1646321
IOS ebook iBookstore: http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/id598605516
2 M151A2s, M416 trailer, M274A5 Mule,
Former Army Aviator, Bien Hoa, VN 1968-69
Mustang Gunship Platoon Commander
68th Assault Helicopter Company 'Top Tigers'
Central Florida and France

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » May 5th, 2009, 6:30 am

I can tell you that a friend of mine was suspended by ebay because of a dispute from a buyer. This was a shipping problem and had nothing to do with the seller. He lost mucho dinero because of lost sales and most likely will be leaving ebay. It started out as a good concept but has gone downhill in a hurry. I have not found any good deals on there in a while. I see the same prices or higher there as I do anywhere else with no auction so why buy from E-bay?

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Ralph Fuller
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Ralph Fuller » May 5th, 2009, 8:22 am

I check Ebay every day for parts at:
http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_nkwZm1 ... iZQQ_udloZ
I bought a bottle opener this week and added it as an accessory. It reads, "Sioux City Sarsaparilla".
Ralph
1967 M151A1
1967 M151A1
1967 M416
1947 Bantam TC-3 trailer
If The Phone Don't Ring ... You'll Know It's Me
Airborne Ranger CIB Vietnam

m151dave
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by m151dave » May 5th, 2009, 9:36 am

What is the most effective alternative to Ebay, for military related items? Is there some other site that works in a simular fashion?

I was real unhappy when ebay banned the sale of all the dummy ammo, most grenades, etc.. There was never any lack of anti-Bush material for sale on the site, but you could not buy anything as harmless as a belt of dummy machine gun ammo or a smoke grenade (inert).
Owner - M151A2
Member - MVPA

Founder - The Last Patrol, Vietnam Living History Group
www.lastpatrol.org

ida34
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by ida34 » May 5th, 2009, 1:03 pm

For arms related items I usually go with Gunbroker.com. They are an auction site like ebay but for firearms and related items. This is the most likely place I could see the military vehicles crowd going but it will only work if the word gets out. They do other sporting related items also and I think they would love to see the revenue that ebay and will loose. I read the article and it says antiquated military vehicles will be OK but who makes that determination? I still remember the when Ebay allowed firearms listings. When they stopped this Auction Arms came along but they have gone to be more of a classified rather than an auction format. Gunbroker came a little later but does a pretty good job with firearms related items.

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Rainman » May 5th, 2009, 8:42 pm

I bought a few guns on ebay early on. Even bought a Civil War Lorenz on ebay after they banned them, but nobody complained, so the listing went full term. First site I saw pop up when they banned guns was ebang.com, it's still around.

Rainman
M151 World Land Speed Record Holder