Where to Start?

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

TrustyMUTT
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Where to Start?

Unread post by TrustyMUTT » November 1st, 2009, 1:55 pm

Thank you for the "reference" data plate picture. That is what I was looking for :)

Concerning the ignition issue, am I best off purchasing a replacement point and condenser or switching over to an electronic ignition? If I should stick with the point/condenser style, can I pick up the parts at a local auto parts joint? I have found what I need using the resources section here but would prefer to run to a store and pick them up if possible. Thanks again everyone!

Alex

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » November 1st, 2009, 2:20 pm

I have a cross reference for the points and condenser. I'll see if I can find the sheet later and report back. Right now I am getting ready to go out and shoot some .22 target pistols.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Rainman » November 1st, 2009, 2:23 pm

The WIKI for cross referenced parts has nothing for points and condenser, though they are readily available at all of the parts dealers. Maybe Raymond would like to help out and list his findings in the resource pge WIKI area. I have electronic on my A2, ans I'd assume most of the members here have electronic, as it's one less thing that needs to be adjusted or checked. There are 2 kinds of the electronic modules, either one will work fine for you and when installed, you will have years of trouble free spark. Once again that old M151 saying comes into play, "never say never". :oops: :)
M151 World Land Speed Record Holder

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » November 1st, 2009, 8:44 pm

Okay, here are the parts numbers I have for points and condenser. These part numbers come from Robert Crelly. He was the dealer who scrapped out my M151 and sold it to the person who welded it back together. It comes from a sheet he made up in 1981. I make no warranty or guarantee that the following parts will interchange. I suspect that they aren't that expensive so it might be worth a shot. Please report back as to their suitability.

Condenser: Delco A202 or Bluestreak AL-111X

BTW I sighted in an old original High Standard Victor from the late 1960's I picked up recently. 2 way adjustable trigger, excellent sights, target grips, even still had the barrel weights. They just don't make pistols like this anymore. Even the vaunted Smith and Wesson 41 just doesn't show the quality workmanship this pistol does. I can't say enough good things about it. Anyone who has ever shot one or any of the old High Standard Supermatic competition target guns knows what I mean. Absolutely a dream to shoot.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus