Correct rifle for the period

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Correct rifle for the period

Unread post by muttguru » October 20th, 2009, 2:33 pm

Tray wrote:This question just popped up after I got my rifle bracket kit - What is the correct rifle for a straight m151 or a1? Is it the M1 Garand, M14, M1 Carbine or the M16. Can all rifles fit the bracket?

Just as a "by-the-way"......the early M151 rifle-holder differs from the version that is currently available. The one that's now in universal use has a buttstock holder that is rectangular (that's the bit that sits on the floor).

The early version is oval shaped...presumably for the M14.

Only three more days to the showdown................ :lol:
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

Tray
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by Tray » October 20th, 2009, 9:50 pm

Thanks for all your inputs. So many from what I thought was just a simple question. I now have an overload of information. :idea:

Ken, since the info you gave me for my dataplate has a delivery date of 10-66 (thanks again for your help there), I'll go for the M-14 :)

WC Matt
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by WC Matt » October 21st, 2009, 10:41 am

Francis Marion wrote:Motor,

Good info so far but I'd like to pin you down a little more on the SF advisors. Would a sr SF NCo (SFC) be likely to still have an M1 in '68? If yes, I could use the Garand I just ordered from the CMP and not have to retro an AR. As for retro ARs, I saw an M16 (no forward assist) issued in new condition to an Air Force guy in Afghanistan, '04. They also issued 1911s to staff officers there due to a shortage of M9s.
FM
Did that USAF M16 have triangular hand guards? I also wanted to mention that some times (but not always) the SF advisors would use the same weapons as the people they were advising. So if an advisor is attached to an ARVN unit that is still using M1 carbines, than for support's sake, the advisor might also carry a carbine.
Matt

Francis Marion
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread post by Francis Marion » October 21st, 2009, 3:11 pm

I want to say it did but can't remember for sure; they would have been too easy to replace. I'm pretty sure I got a photo of the novelty but don't know where it would be. I definitely do not have access to the pic from my current location.
1968 M151A1
1967 M416

BG6
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by BG6 » October 24th, 2009, 8:55 pm

muttguru wrote: Just as a "by-the-way"......the early M151 rifle-holder differs from the version that is currently available. The one that's now in universal use has a buttstock holder that is rectangular (that's the bit that sits on the floor).

The early version is oval shaped...presumably for the M14. :
Actually, the holder was changed to rectangular because it's easier to make (thus cheaper), it will fit other weapons such as the M249, it can be attached against walls, and it is easier to mount "straight," so that the rifle isn't twisted in the clamp, which can result in the triangular forearm not being securely locked in place.

Floyd
Captain
Captain

Unread post by Floyd » October 25th, 2009, 12:37 pm

BG6 wrote:
muttguru wrote: Just as a "by-the-way"......the early M151 rifle-holder differs from the version that is currently available. The one that's now in universal use has a buttstock holder that is rectangular (that's the bit that sits on the floor).

Actually, the holder was changed to rectangular because it's easier to make (thus cheaper), it will fit other weapons such as the M249, .

BG6, I'll buy the cheaper part but I bet they were issued long before the SAW came about, jmho.

Floyd
1961 M151
1967 M416
1988 M35A2C
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member

ida34
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by ida34 » October 25th, 2009, 9:48 pm

WC Matt wrote:
Francis Marion wrote:Motor,

Good info so far but I'd like to pin you down a little more on the SF advisors. Would a sr SF NCo (SFC) be likely to still have an M1 in '68? If yes, I could use the Garand I just ordered from the CMP and not have to retro an AR. As for retro ARs, I saw an M16 (no forward assist) issued in new condition to an Air Force guy in Afghanistan, '04. They also issued 1911s to staff officers there due to a shortage of M9s.
FM
Did that USAF M16 have triangular hand guards? I also wanted to mention that some times (but not always) the SF advisors would use the same weapons as the people they were advising. So if an advisor is attached to an ARVN unit that is still using M1 carbines, than for support's sake, the advisor might also carry a carbine.
Matt
Back during Desert Storm we were already deployed in the desert and had replacements come in from Fort Knox. The replacements were issued brand new M16a1s. They had the round A2 handguards and the A2 butt stock but the barrel was the old pencil barrel in the A1 rifle twist. They were FA instead of burst. They came with bar code metal plates securely attached to the lower receiver under the serial number. The had A1 style sights front and back but the thing that was really weird is that the upper while having the old style A1 sight had the built in brass deflector of the A2. They were brand new never used rifles.

WC Matt
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by WC Matt » October 26th, 2009, 7:59 am

ida34 wrote:
Back during Desert Storm we were already deployed in the desert and had replacements come in from Fort Knox. The replacements were issued brand new M16a1s. They had the round A2 handguards and the A2 butt stock but the barrel was the old pencil barrel in the A1 rifle twist. They were FA instead of burst. They came with bar code metal plates securely attached to the lower receiver under the serial number. The had A1 style sights front and back but the thing that was really weird is that the upper while having the old style A1 sight had the built in brass deflector of the A2. They were brand new never used rifles.
ida34
All M16A1s were safe,semi,full auto. The 3 shot burst was introduced on the M16A2 as was a host of other refinements of which you already mentioned. The brass deflector on those A1s was a late in the production run feature. It wouldn't suprise me to find out that those rifles had AR15 uppers on them. I've seen an M203 in VANG service that was an AR-15 overstamp :o .

Matt

BG6
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by BG6 » October 27th, 2009, 12:25 am

Floyd wrote:
BG6 wrote:

Actually, the holder was changed to rectangular because it's easier to make (thus cheaper), it will fit other weapons such as the M249, .

BG6, I'll buy the cheaper part but I bet they were issued long before the SAW came about, jmho.

Floyd
Yep. That's the "they fit other weapons" part. M249 was just one example.

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » October 27th, 2009, 7:12 am

WC Matt wrote:
ida34 wrote:
ida34
All M16A1s were safe,semi,full auto. The 3 shot burst was introduced on the M16A2 as was a host of other refinements of which you already mentioned. The brass deflector on those A1s was a late in the production run feature. It wouldn't suprise me to find out that those rifles had AR15 uppers on them. I've seen an M203 in VANG service that was an AR-15 overstamp :o .

Matt

I have heard that the military still has some of the M2 .50 machine guns produced by Frigidaire in WW2. Some of those old guns are indestructible and just keep on going.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

WC Matt
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by WC Matt » October 27th, 2009, 7:28 am

Raymond
That wouldn't surprise me one bit. The Army never brought any more M1911A1 frames after WW II. They just kept rebuilding the ones that were in service until the M9 was introduced in the 1980s. BTW, I had no idea that Frigidaire produced M2s :o Learn something new everyday.
Matt

Francis Marion
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread post by Francis Marion » October 27th, 2009, 9:34 am

The M2, the 1911...

You can't say "guns" without paying tribute the the greatest of them all. John Moses Browning did more for firearms than Kalashnikov, Stoner, and Colt combined.
1968 M151A1
1967 M416

toptiger
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by toptiger » October 27th, 2009, 10:45 am

my 1st cousin was an A team member VN 67-68 and that is exactly what he always says. Also he carried a shotgun. Guess that was an SF issued weapon, too
Author M-151 MUTT, The Vietnam Jeep
Paper edition http://www.blurb.com/books/1646321
IOS ebook iBookstore: http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/id598605516
2 M151A2s, M416 trailer, M274A5 Mule,
Former Army Aviator, Bien Hoa, VN 1968-69
Mustang Gunship Platoon Commander
68th Assault Helicopter Company 'Top Tigers'
Central Florida and France

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » October 27th, 2009, 10:52 am

Matt

Frigidaire was a division of GM at the time. AC Spark plug division as well as the Saginaw steering division as well as the Brown-Lipe-Chappin gear and differential division also made M2 50 caliber guns. Guns like that had to have been well made to still be in service after this long. I wonder how many times some of them have been overhauled.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

Ralph Fuller
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Ralph Fuller » October 27th, 2009, 11:12 am

Burnt-out .50 cal barrel after an ambush, inside Uncle Meat, a 5 ton gun truck in Vietnam 1971.
Ralph
1967 M151A1
1967 M151A1
1967 M416
1947 Bantam TC-3 trailer
If The Phone Don't Ring ... You'll Know It's Me
Airborne Ranger CIB Vietnam