Correct rifle for the period

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

WC Matt
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Correct rifle for the period

Unread post by WC Matt » October 27th, 2009, 11:46 am

toptiger wrote:my 1st cousin was an A team member VN 67-68 and that is exactly what he always says. Also he carried a shotgun. Guess that was an SF issued weapon, too
Shotgun issue in the military has always been kind of strange. Officially, They are issued to MPs but they tend to find their way into other peoples hands. A friend of mine who was a Marine tanker over in RVN 69-70 said that they had either an M97 or a model 12 Winchester riot gun in the turret for crew use. I belive it was later replaced with an M1 carbine but can't remember right off hand. Now adays they use them with special rounds for door breaching (also works good for people breaching)

Francis Marion
You are spot on! J.M. Browning was/is the Man! Klashnikov is an arogant jerk! Ironically, the Russians replaced the Klashnikov AK family with another design called the AN94 a couple of years ago.
raymond wrote:Matt

Frigidaire was a division of GM at the time. AC Spark plug division as well as the Saginaw steering division as well as the Brown-Lipe-Chappin gear and differential division also made M2 50 caliber guns. Guns like that had to have been well made to still be in service after this long. I wonder how many times some of them have been overhauled.

Raymond
Not sure. I remember seeing M2s with dates of mfg dating back to the mid 70s and having active duty guys tell me that they've seen weapons with dates of mfg in the 40s. The M2 tripod for the M60 GPMG that was issued to a friend of mine was dated 1960 so it was about 15-20 years older than he was.

Matt

Motorcityman
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by Motorcityman » October 28th, 2009, 3:25 pm

WC Matt wrote:
Francis Marion
You are spot on! J.M. Browning was/is the Man! Klashnikov is an arogant jerk! Ironically, the Russians replaced the Klashnikov AK family with another design called the AN94 a couple of years ago.
Watching too much future weapons on the Discovery channel, the Kalashnikov design is still running strong in Russia. The Akaban is NOT currently in production and is NOT issued to Russian troops, matter of fact the company who produced the AK-94 series is now defunct (Izhmash). Like it or not the Kalashnikov series of weapons is one of the most widely used platforms in the world and in history with over 100 million examples produced.

I agree about John Browning being the best designer ever with his designs still being used some 100 years later, but to Knock Kalashnikov as a designer purely because he's proud of his design calling him a "jerk" well I just had to correct you on the AK-94 :roll:

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » October 28th, 2009, 4:04 pm

The difference between Browning's and Kalishnikov's designs lies in the fact that the former was intended for use by a well trained army of citizen soldiers while the latter was designed for a poorly educated peasant army. It is kind of like comparing apples to oranges. You have to keep in mind the context and circumstances of their development and intended use. Both have proven quite effective (deadly) in the hands of the personnel they were designed for.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Rainman » October 28th, 2009, 5:20 pm

Just to jump in here for a minute...
I can remember in Feb of 1974 being on guard duty at Ft Polk, with live rounds with a Browning shotgun as the weapon of issue that day. Would that have been an M97. I can remember sitting out that night and reading the mfg name as Browning, which I had heard of Browning in both weapons and CB radios :) at 18, but had never seen one up till then, PING :lol:
Rainman
M151 World Land Speed Record Holder

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » October 28th, 2009, 6:15 pm

They gave Rainman a shotgun because they figured it was the only way he could hit anything. :twisted: :roll:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » October 28th, 2009, 6:53 pm

Rainman

I don't know much about military shotguns, but I think Browning designed the M97 but Winchester manufactured it.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

Francis Marion
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread post by Francis Marion » October 29th, 2009, 9:22 am

Almost all of Brownings designs were manufactured by other companies like Winchester and Colt. Browning didn't start his own manufacturing company until late in life and by then had already sold the manufacturing rights to others.
1968 M151A1
1967 M416

WC Matt
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by WC Matt » October 31st, 2009, 11:00 am

Motorcityman wrote:
WC Matt wrote:
Francis Marion
Watching too much future weapons on the Discovery channel, the Kalashnikov design is still running strong in Russia. The Akaban is NOT currently in production and is NOT issued to Russian troops, matter of fact the company who produced the AK-94 series is now defunct (Izhmash). Like it or not the Kalashnikov series of weapons is one of the most widely used platforms in the world and in history with over 100 million examples produced.

I agree about John Browning being the best designer ever with his designs still being used some 100 years later, but to Knock Kalashnikov as a designer purely because he's proud of his design calling him a "jerk" well I just had to correct you on the AK-94 :roll:

My information comes from sources other than "American TV" and I take offence to that :twisted: . The AN94 not AK94 is issued to special forces and certain internal security units. The Russians are still using the AK platform not because they feel it is irreplacable but because they can't afford to go to another rifle.

I've seen multible interviews with Klashnikov and I stick by my assesment of him. 'nuff said!
Matt

Floyd
Captain
Captain

Unread post by Floyd » October 31st, 2009, 2:48 pm

Sounds like a Nikonov AN-94 "Abakan" assault rifle to me. :D

Floyd
1961 M151
1967 M416
1988 M35A2C
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member

Motorcityman
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by Motorcityman » October 31st, 2009, 4:00 pm

I have close friends who have visited MTK at his house, they tell me he's a great guy and a wealth of knolodge. The Club that I am in (Kalashnikov collectors association) has made several visits to Izhevsk, including a trip to his 85 birthday five years ago, his birthday is next week, 90 years old :)
The Russians are still using the AK platform not because they feel it is irreplacable but because they can't afford to go to another rifle.
WC Matt wrote:

Francis Marion
Special forces and "certain" internal security units eh, man you're right thats all of Russia, how Ironic.

Tray
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by Tray » November 3rd, 2009, 10:40 pm

As someone who does not have first hand knowledge about how soldiers dress. Do you guys wear your M1 Carbines by the hip like these guys? Did you also dress that way at one time? :lol: I can't post the pic so here's the link:
http://www.maxicon.com/guns/universal_m ... access.htm

Ralph Fuller
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Ralph Fuller » November 4th, 2009, 6:54 am

Tray: to answer your two quesions....No and No
Ralph
1967 M151A1
1967 M151A1
1967 M416
1947 Bantam TC-3 trailer
If The Phone Don't Ring ... You'll Know It's Me
Airborne Ranger CIB Vietnam

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » November 4th, 2009, 8:15 am

That does not even look practical! The gun carry or cloths!! :lol:

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

moose53
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by moose53 » November 5th, 2009, 3:49 am

Rainman wrote:Just to jump in here for a minute...
I can remember in Feb of 1974 being on guard duty at Ft Polk, with live rounds with a Browning shotgun as the weapon of issue that day. Would that have been an M97. I can remember sitting out that night and reading the mfg name as Browning, which I had heard of Browning in both weapons and CB radios :) at 18, but had never seen one up till then, PING :lol:
Rainman
Ping yourself, I preferred the Demco Satellite over the Browning Eagle hehehe The Tram was great too! "clunk"

Jim
Zigzag50, Northeast51, KC2QDZ
MVPA # 30032 G838.org

--------------------------------------
1971 G838-M151A2 1966 G857-M416
1968 G748-M101A1 1976 G748-M116A1
1990 MEP-701A

--------------------------------------
Real jeeps have horizontal grille slots

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Rainman » November 5th, 2009, 11:42 am

Geez Moose,
Your getting all the subtle comments and visuals today aren't you? Yep, a Tram Titan even had a crystal socket on the front face, easier for 22A+B and 23A+B, and that telltale clunk when you unkeyed the mic. I had a Browning linear amp I had wired into my bottom dresser drawer to hide it from my Dad when I was like 13. ping :D
Rainman
M151 World Land Speed Record Holder