Need Some Help

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

David
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Need Some Help

Unread post by David » December 1st, 2009, 3:29 pm

Ok, Ive done what I could and it's gotten no where. :lol: Ive followed the trouble stickies and so on.

Here's my issue. Im not getting any fuel to the motor for whatever reason. Here's what I have done and know:
-The jeep has sat for a couple years, but has been occasionally turned over and has run within the last 6 months and has a new wiring harness.
-The motor is an A2 with mechanical fuel pump.
-Ive removed and checked the steel fuel lines (blown threw, crack/crease check, bends etc) and replaced the rubber ones.
-Replaced fuel filter in tank and replaced fuel filter pre carb.
-Replaced the 2 year old mechanical fuel pump (unsure if working at the time or still works) with a working take off. I wasnt sure of the fuel pump that came with the jeep had gone bad and replaced it with the working take off, but did just to trouble shoot.
-Batteries have full charge and motor turns over easily and freely.
-Motor does have spark and working distributor (unsure if this is necessary info, but here it is.)
-Fuel cap vent is open.
-There is fuel in the tank.

So, ideas? I can remove the pick up fuel line from the tank and turn the motor over and feel no suction on the line. Ive double checked the lines for tightness and fit and they remain dry. Im hoping the cam shaft lobe isnt so worn that it's not activating the fuel pump. From what I can see into the fuel pump slot, it's still nice and smooth without a lot of wear.

Thanks,

David

rickf
General
General

Re: Need Some Help

Unread post by rickf » December 1st, 2009, 4:35 pm

What if you remove the tank side line from the pump and turn it over, do you feel suction at the pump? Make sure the line on the oher side going to the carburetor is disconnected as well. If there is a blockage in that line you will not get suction. Check for suction. If you do get it then hook the suction line back up but not the carb line and crank until you get gas. Should not take more than ten or fifteen revolutions. If you get gas them hook up the carb line and remove the line at the carb and try again. I think you can see where I am headed. I will check in again this evening when I get home.

Rick

On Edit, Yes, all the info is very helpful. What you told me eliminated many different steps.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

David
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by David » December 1st, 2009, 4:52 pm

rickf wrote:What if you remove the tank side line from the pump and turn it over, do you feel suction at the pump? Make sure the line on the oher side going to the carburetor is disconnected as well. If there is a blockage in that line you will not get suction. Check for suction. If you do get it then hook the suction line back up but not the carb line and crank until you get gas. Should not take more than ten or fifteen revolutions. If you get gas them hook up the carb line and remove the line at the carb and try again. I think you can see where I am headed. I will check in again this evening when I get home.

Rick

On Edit, Yes, all the info is very helpful. What you told me eliminated many different steps.
Havent tried removing the lines from the pump and checking for suction, but will when I get home.

David
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by David » December 2nd, 2009, 11:37 am

Didnt get to get any work done as we're experiencing some winter weather.

I can work in the cold. Just not the rain, sleet, snow. :lol:

halftracknut
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by halftracknut » December 2nd, 2009, 12:29 pm

David, pull off fuel line at carb, crank engine shou ld be gas ..if no gas check line from tank. You have an a-1 so it may still have the intank pump, if it does this may have your fuel line plugged? if you are getting gas to carb pull all 4 plugs and ground a plug to check for fire if you have fire gap each plug .035...and reinstall. if no fire, with switch in on position disconnect "P" lead to dist. and use volt meter to see if you have 24 vts. if not probably 2 wires in switch need reversed....if you have gas and fire then lightly tap carb to see in the float is stuck in closed position....if this don't work you spray either in carb(small amount) and see if it hits. if it fires then its carb rebuild time ....If you have an electronic modual in the dist it probably is it...fuel +fire+compression = bang...
slowest mutt east of the missippi..

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » December 2nd, 2009, 1:09 pm

HTN, Ahem, read his first post. ahem, er, sort of covers it all. Just like the sticky asked. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
That is why I suggested to take both lines off of the pump and check for suction at the inlet of the pump.

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

halftracknut
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by halftracknut » December 2nd, 2009, 2:26 pm

I am still half asleep.... :oops: .....HTN

David
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by David » December 3rd, 2009, 6:58 pm

Well, I dont know what I was doing wrong, but its started. Removed the lines to the pump, had suction. Hooked them back up and a couple cranks and it fired right up.

Now my only problem is it wont go into gear. Will go into gear when it's turned off, but when running it just grinds. Ideas?

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » December 3rd, 2009, 7:02 pm

Clutch needs adjustment. The clutch is not engaging all the way. Or the clutch disc is swelled up for some reason.

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

David
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by David » December 3rd, 2009, 7:46 pm

rickf wrote:Clutch needs adjustment. The clutch is not engaging all the way. Or the clutch disc is swelled up for some reason.

Rick
That's about what I was thinking. Good to get a second opinion.

Hopefully once this second Texas snow storm blows threw I can do some adjusting.

halftracknut
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by halftracknut » December 4th, 2009, 9:29 pm

Hey, did you get the clutch fixed? HTN :wink:

David
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by David » December 4th, 2009, 10:47 pm

halftracknut wrote:Hey, did you get the clutch fixed? HTN :wink:
Poured in fluids and tinkered with the clutch adjustment rod.

I have first, second, and reverse, but no third or fourth. :?:

Possibly have the engine idle to high? I havent tinkered with any of the carburetor or anything else. Or do I keep working the adjustment. Previously it wouldnt engage anything, but now I have some gears. Three and four still grind.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » December 5th, 2009, 9:44 am

Please don't take this as an insult but how old are you? Do you have any experience driving older big trucks with non syncro transmissions? I ask how old you are because the newer cars shift MUCH differently then the old stuff, mutt's included. What it sounds like to me is the third/fourth syncro is bad. The way to check is to double clutch to get it into third and fourth. That will tell you if the gears and clutch are good. You can also delay your shift a bit, shift out of third, wait a couple seconds and then shift into fourth.

Rick

After re reading your last post and seeing that you "poured in fluids" does that mean the transmission was empty? If so there could be a lot of rust a garbage in there and you shoult pull the top cover and check it out.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

David
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by David » December 5th, 2009, 1:59 pm

rickf wrote:Please don't take this as an insult but how old are you? Do you have any experience driving older big trucks with non syncro transmissions? I ask how old you are because the newer cars shift MUCH differently then the old stuff, mutt's included. What it sounds like to me is the third/fourth syncro is bad. The way to check is to double clutch to get it into third and fourth. That will tell you if the gears and clutch are good. You can also delay your shift a bit, shift out of third, wait a couple seconds and then shift into fourth.

Rick

After re reading your last post and seeing that you "poured in fluids" does that mean the transmission was empty? If so there could be a lot of rust a garbage in there and you shoult pull the top cover and check it out.
Im 25. Ive never driven any big trucks, just old small cars. LOL

I'll give the transmission shifting sequence a try and see what happens. As for pouring in fluids; the tranny wasnt empty, I just changed all the fluids as a necessary precaution.