fuel tank vacumm

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

70mford151a2
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

fuel tank vacumm

Unread post by 70mford151a2 » December 23rd, 2009, 10:25 am

hello, I am having a oroblem with my A2 -I have replaced the fuel line from the top of the tank to the fuel pump

all the rubber lines are new, but I wasn't able to get a good idle or any power trying to drive it ( timming has been set, rebuilt carb, all new ignitionparts in distributor-coil,ign. module-etc-( I did the valves when I installed the carb and timed then also)-but when I installed a see thru filter between carb and metal line, I'm getting a ton of air !

after reading about the gentleman with the crack in the tank spout, I have to wonder ( although I can see no reason for it )
when I ran all the new lines I didn't attach the vent line from the vac line between the firewall and the aircleaner( that little tube that tees off from the aircleaner housing to the bottom of the fuel pumpand then goes from the other side of that tee to vent line running thru the firewall,

the only reason I didn't complete that is I was told it's only for venting the tank in a fording condition which I won't be doing anytime soon. could that be the source of my airleak? can't imagine it being that but,
what the heck do I know-- so I did attach a rubber line to that fitting and just let it hang down the firewall and sealed the open end on the aircleaner part could that be the problem am I screwing with the vacumm system by doing that- it would be an easy fix if that's it- and it's never really run right since that was done- is that it? I need info please
thanks Dave RickF where are you?? or anyone that might know what I'm talking about
Dave Collins :D

halftracknut
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: fuel tank vacumm

Unread post by halftracknut » December 23rd, 2009, 10:32 am

can you post a picture of the engine and I'll check if your lines are correct...
slowest mutt east of the missippi..

70mford151a2
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by 70mford151a2 » December 23rd, 2009, 10:57 am

well I am at work right now, when I get home around 1 I can but I'll try and explain all the lines are correct except

that little line that comes out of the middle of the plate on top of the fuel tank ( under drivers seat) and goes to the aircleaner ( thru the firewall on the left side of engine compartment ) I know that small ,maybe 1/4 '' line goes to the side of the oil bath aircleaner and at that point it tees off and goes to the bottom of the fuel pump ( vac line) that as far as I remember is connected to one side of that tee ( on the side of air cleaner housing ) the other side is closed off

now as far as the line coming from the firewall ( the tank) it is just drapped down the firewall to vent the tank

would this disrupt the vacumm in such a way it would cause the problem I'm having ( I don't see why cause all the vac lines are sealed exept that 1/4'er from the tank to the air cleaner, I can do the way it was I just need a part and since I understood that that line was only there for fording purposes I felt I could vent the tank this way, but it was correct before I started trying to improve things-I quess my question is:
is that 1/4 line from the Tank ( the vent line not the return)
need to be hooked back into that tee from the side of the oil bath aircleaner, for this airleak problem to go away

thanks for any advice, you guys are the best . maybe I'll just hook it back the right way and see what happens I still can't understand why it would make a difference sense there are no open vaclines except to the tank and one would think it would only help to vent the tank better- but I keep forgetting this NOT a car

Cobra5
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Cobra5 » December 23rd, 2009, 12:21 pm

I had the same problem when I reassembled my mutt. I however had everything connected but still no gas to the clear filter. I used a suction pump to draw fuel from the tank to line going into the fuel pump. I also used the suction pump to draw fuel from the fuel pump to the carb. This is the way I primed my pump and fuel lines and haven't had an issue since. I also shot a little starting fluid into the carb to prime it.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » December 23rd, 2009, 2:27 pm

Hi Dave, I am still here. That line being disconnected will not cause you any problem. Actually if you develop a vacuum in the tank it will cause a problem. As you said, that is just a vent. Are you getting a solid stream of bubbles or just one bubble in the filter? The filter will very rarely fill completely, There is almost always a bubble in there. You just don't want to see a solid stream of bubbles. It sounds like you may have gotten some crap in the idle circuit. Depending on how good you are at working upside down and backwards it is an easy job to clean out the circuit without removing the carb. You do have to remove the bowl though.

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

70mford151a2
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by 70mford151a2 » December 23rd, 2009, 2:52 pm

" Depending on how good you are at working upside down and backwards it is an easy job to clean out the circuit without removing the carb. You do have to remove the bowl though."

Just ask the wife how good I am at working backwards and upside down HaHaHa
sorry lost my mind for a second

anyway it seems to be a kinda of a on & off stream maybe a second or 2 between bursts, but I get less air as it accelerates so if I manualy work the throttle it gets better as it speeds up and almost goes away then when I slow it down, back it comes
it's the damdest thing it's like at idle there isn't as much fuel flowing so there is more of a concentration of air and as it speeds up theres more fuel so it seems to be less air Make sense? but why I'll tell ya Cobras idea sounds like it could work for me
that is if there is no air leak- so I think I might try it what say you, Rick or anyone that has an answer Thanks and I know washington doesn't want me saying this But:

Happy Holidays everyone what ever faith you believe in !!
for me it's " Merry Christmas"

going chrismas shopping be back by 5 eastern time

Ralph Fuller
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Ralph Fuller » December 23rd, 2009, 6:40 pm

ImageImage
Ralph
1967 M151A1
1967 M151A1
1967 M416
1947 Bantam TC-3 trailer
If The Phone Don't Ring ... You'll Know It's Me
Airborne Ranger CIB Vietnam

70mford151a2
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by 70mford151a2 » December 23rd, 2009, 7:58 pm

Ralph, that is an awesome display of Christmas joy, very well done Sir

Cobra5
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Cobra5 » December 23rd, 2009, 9:38 pm

Okay, I misread your issue. I thought from what I read that you weren't getting any fuel to the clear filter. However it sounds as though your getting fuel but your not idling or getting power. You installed a clear filter and are seeing a lot of air bubbles. Could still have air on the inlet side of the pump or your diaphram in the pump has a hole in it. Might be a combination of this and carb.

70mford151a2
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by 70mford151a2 » December 23rd, 2009, 10:07 pm

Cobra I hope your not right about the pump diaphram, I just bought it NOS from from J, Murry and took a month to get it.

I quess it wouldn't take long to pull the screws and check I just hope that ain't it- I got a parade comming up and` I've missed two already

but I am stumped. it just seems to be way to much air to be normal but maybe it's just ME

"this is my Quest"

in the A.M. I'm gonna check the valves again so I can stop worrying about it- I know it's timed and go from there I'm also thinking maybe the carb got " out of wack in the months I was waiting on parts and time to repair what the heck? I'll report back if I can fiqure it out. I'll tell you what

I wish I lived closer to pemberton NJ

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » December 24th, 2009, 9:16 am

Not unless you like a lot of snow! I'll give you a call in a while.

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

toptiger
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by toptiger » December 24th, 2009, 11:20 am

don't we all!
Author M-151 MUTT, The Vietnam Jeep
Paper edition http://www.blurb.com/books/1646321
IOS ebook iBookstore: http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/id598605516
2 M151A2s, M416 trailer, M274A5 Mule,
Former Army Aviator, Bien Hoa, VN 1968-69
Mustang Gunship Platoon Commander
68th Assault Helicopter Company 'Top Tigers'
Central Florida and France

Cobra5
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Cobra5 » December 24th, 2009, 11:24 am

If the pump is new than it's mostly likely not your problem. I would wait until you talk to Rick. He'll be able to get you back on the road no doubt.

70mford151a2
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by 70mford151a2 » December 24th, 2009, 1:59 pm

Not unless you like a lot of snow! I'll give you a call in a while.

Rick
I like snow in movies and in real life for about 1 day no maybe I'll look into a summer place, when I gets that $$ our dear president has sworn that were all getting ( LOL)