slave cable mount

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

199th mp
Major
Major

slave cable mount

Unread post by 199th mp » February 6th, 2010, 8:42 am

when installing the slave cable receptacle prior to heater installation, to which battery positive do i route
the long cable, and on the ignition switch where i am supposed to route the heater switch lead, which
is the number 12 lead that is supposed to be removed and then attached to the heater harness, thus
freeing up a spot on the ignition switch for the new heater connection? lastly, where can i find the wiring
diagram for the 1964 M151 that would have shown me these answers? thanks in advance to whoever can
help me on this.

raymond
Major General
Major General

Re: slave cable mount

Unread post by raymond » February 6th, 2010, 9:12 am

Hey 199

Welcome to G838 :D The slave cable positive goes to the positive terminal on the positive battery. It is the battery with the big long cable that goes back up under the dash. The other battery should have a short cable on the negative side grounding it to the back of the battery box.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

Fil Bonica
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Fil Bonica » February 6th, 2010, 10:23 am

Now that's an interesting question. I shudder to think of what could happen if it were connected to the other positive pole .
If you were to apply 24 volts to the slave cable a battery could blow up, the entire vehicle electrical system could see 36 volts. Oh boy an early Fourth of July!

Just the overactive imagination of an old man.

Smart to ask.

Fil Bonica
K1ABW

Cobra5
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Cobra5 » February 6th, 2010, 10:59 am

Welcome to the site. You can download the manuals, if you need them, from this site for free? How about posting a few photos of your mutt.

199th mp
Major
Major

Unread post by 199th mp » February 6th, 2010, 2:52 pm

thanks to all--so raymond, i want to use the battery positive that will deliver 24 v to the slave connection? what i don't
yet understand is what this has to do with the heater. by the way, i would post pictures of HQ 20 if i wasn't even less
competent with the computer than i am with wiring. what has been done with the wiring on this M151 would make a
decent mechanic gnash his teeth. on another topic, when i recently joined, somehow the word civilian ended up under
my login. i would change that, too, if i could figure it out. i am a complete dinosaur, and OK with that. though i am a
civilian now, in a previous life, 40 years ago, i was in HHC MP's, 199th Light Infantry Brigade. vietnam 69-70, as i am
sure some of you were there as well.

SEABEE62
Fleet Admiral

Unread post by SEABEE62 » February 6th, 2010, 3:12 pm

Welcome aboard...........Seabee
1971 M151A2 MUTT , M416 trailer
NMCB 62, Delta Co.,BU2, Gulfport, MS Home Port
VFW 3838, American Legion 63
Seabee Association of America LM , NMCB 62 Assoc.
"Performance Under Fire" US Navy Seabees '69-'72
National Assoc. of Atomic Veterans/ Amchitka
SEMO University Vet Corp Alumni
MVPA#32091

Fil Bonica
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Fil Bonica » February 6th, 2010, 3:22 pm

From what I can tell the slave cable has nothing to do with the heater itself. It was merely an addition to the system at that time. If you dont install it when you put in the heater it is darn near impossible to install it later. If you wanted it later it means you must take out the heater, install the slave cable and then reinstall the heater. Not a fun job at all.
Been there, done that!

Fil Bonica
K1ABW

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Rainman » February 6th, 2010, 3:23 pm

Hey 199th,
This has nothing directly to do with the heater. The purpose to install it before the heater, is because after the heater is installed, you'll never have another chance to get up in ther to install the slave connector. It's kind of like preventative medicine.

Welcome to the G838. :D

Ahh Fil, somehow you beat me to it,never mind... :oops:
M151 World Land Speed Record Holder

Ralph Fuller
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Ralph Fuller » February 7th, 2010, 6:53 pm

Welcome to the site.
You start out a "civilian", and the more you post the higher the rank. You are already a "private".
All of the manuals are available online. Here is one source, but don't try it if you are on "dial up"....it would take you forever. Click below

http://www.pedros.cz/mutt.php
Ralph
1967 M151A1
1967 M151A1
1967 M416
1947 Bantam TC-3 trailer
If The Phone Don't Ring ... You'll Know It's Me
Airborne Ranger CIB Vietnam