Charging issues

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

42GPW
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Charging issues

Unread post by 42GPW » August 8th, 2010, 11:14 pm

I have a 25 amp generator that is over charging. can i adjust the regulator? The generator is a take out from an m37 truck of mine.

Matt R
My Mutt doesnt leak...Its just marking its territory.
45 MB
44 MBT
67 M151a1
67 M416
Batt Boy July-Dec 89(5 mo of Hell!)
US Army-82nd Airborne 89-95
ARNG 95-00 40th,45th Inf
US Army-101st Airborne 00-06
Airborne Inf. Testing Americas cold weather gear since 1989

raymond
Major General
Major General

Re: Charging issues

Unread post by raymond » August 9th, 2010, 8:06 am

You'll have to replace the voltage regulator.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 9th, 2010, 9:12 am

Have you actually checked the voltage output with a meter? The gauges are notoriously off. Also make sure both batteries are good, If one is a little low you will be overcharging the other to compensate.Make sure all of your battery connections are good.
Just some things to try before replacing the regulator. I have adjusted regulators before but I do not suggest you try if you are not very familiar with them, if you do it wrong you could fry the whole system. That only pertains to the old style mechanical regulators.

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

42GPW
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread post by 42GPW » August 9th, 2010, 10:32 am

Reading the manual its says in trouble shooting that the batteries could be low. Ill check that first.Dad can adjust the voltage regulators. He has the equipment for that. But ive been running off the batteries so they could be low.

Matt R
45 MB
44 MBT
67 M151a1
67 M416
ARNG 95-00 40th,45th Inf

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 9th, 2010, 11:31 am

Matt, I am really confused. You say you have been running off of the batteries but this post is about an overcharging problem. Then you say your dad has the equipment and knowledge for adjusting the regulator. Why exactly did you post?

I am not trying to be an asshole but I spend a lot of time trying to help people out here when they genuinely need help. It seems to me that first off you have someone in the family who has the knowledge to help you and second it seems that you are posting for a problem that you don't really have since you are running off of the batteries. First step in ANY charging diagnosis is fully charged and tested batteries!
Forgive me for being blunt but please use the resources available to you before asking on here because a lot of us on here spend a lot of time helping out. I do have a full time job and projects at home of my own. I do not live on this forum. Hopfully I have not offended you, that is not my intention.

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

42GPW
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread post by 42GPW » August 10th, 2010, 1:22 am

First off. I have a full time job too. This is a hobby not a obsession. I use the forum on a casual basis. Not look at it every second of the day. I have had a generator problem for some time. I don't have the knowledge of a 24 volt system. My father has been a mechanic for many years. But does'nt have much knowledge of the 24 volt system either.He knows how to adjust regulators and has the tools for it. Problem is he cant see or feel gauges well any more. (82years old) I have looked through these manuals and do not understand a lot of the terms. That's were you guys come in. Many of the things i do on my jeep are trial and error. I have fried, burnt, and broken off things in learning. I use you guys a s a resource. I know some of you have been doing this since Jesus was a corporal. So it comes natural to you. And can seem quite stupid in the questions asked. Especially when you don't know how to ask the question. I do know that my batteries need ed to be charged that was the problem. Thank you for your help. And no offense intended.

Matt R
45 MB
44 MBT
67 M151a1
67 M416
ARNG 95-00 40th,45th Inf

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » August 10th, 2010, 7:31 am

Matt

While I am not the mechanic that Rick is, I have been messing with these for 13 years. Here is what I would do. Charge the batteries and make sure they are in good serviceable condition. Check all the connections. Then do a voltage test at the batteries with a hand held meter. If the reading is out of the normal range, you will likely have to get a new regulator. These generators have a pretty good reputation. They either work or don't. The voltage of the generator output seldom fluctuates. It is usually the regulator when your voltage fluctuates. While the old "breadbox" regulator may have some sort of adjustment mechanism, if it has to be adjusted, something else is likely in poor shape. In that case, an adjustment of the regulator is only a short term fix. As for the 24 vs. 12 volt thing, don't let that intimidate you. It is really no different. They work in exactly the same way, the difference being that the readings for a 24 volt system will be double that of a 12 volt.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus