Vibration at specific RPM

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

cstaup
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Vibration at specific RPM

Unread post by cstaup » September 20th, 2010, 8:56 am

I have this annoying vibration as the RPMs increase at about 18mph in first 30 mph in second and so on.

This doesn't happen as I depress the clutch, and rev it up, just when I'm moving. That means I've eliminated an out of balance flywheel. Has anybody seen out of balance clutch discs?
Last 2Δ Command Group NCOIC

rickf
General
General

Re: Vibration at specific RPM

Unread post by rickf » September 20th, 2010, 9:47 am

It could be but what you are describing is common on 151's. It is the engine but you are just not hitting the particular rpm long enough when free revving it. That being said I did get a NOS flywheel not long ago that had the holes drilled off center by .006. That would give a vibration. Did you just put a new flywheel on and by any chance were the bolts a little snug?

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

cstaup
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread post by cstaup » September 20th, 2010, 9:52 am

Rick, I used the "old" flywheel with a new bearing. I'll gun it for a longer period as well as running it in neutral (as that would turn the clutch as well. Thanks.

Chris

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » September 20th, 2010, 10:02 am

Chris, I just looked at the speeds and the gears listed. You must be screaming that thing! There is no need to rev it that high. I start in second and I probably shift into third at around 25 I would guess. I don't watch the speedo but I am not screaming it when I shift and it pulls hard at low rpm.

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » September 20th, 2010, 10:47 am

cstaup wrote:I have this annoying vibration as the RPMs increase at about 18mph in first 30 mph in second and so on.
This doesn't happen as I depress the clutch, and rev it up, just when I'm moving. That means I've eliminated an out of balance flywheel. Has anybody seen out of balance clutch discs?
Chris, just a thought....if you've changed the clutch, then you've had the engine out. If you've had the engine out, you've disconnected the exhaust system. Sometimes, the exhaust can vibrate because it is fixed to the body and not "suspended" like regular auto exhausts. Did you slacken/adjust all the clamps AFTER the engine went back in?

If you try everything else and it still doesn't cure the problem, get under the vehicle and slacken all the clamps for the exhaust system and then re-tighten, taking care to realign the system as necessary.
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

cstaup
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread post by cstaup » September 20th, 2010, 8:47 pm

rickf wrote:Chris, I just looked at the speeds and the gears listed. You must be screaming that thing! There is no need to rev it that high. I start in second and I probably shift into third at around 25 I would guess. I don't watch the speedo but I am not screaming it when I shift and it pulls hard at low rpm.

Rick
You're right Rick. I just used those speeds as a reference. I don't push it to 30 in second. I generally shift up when it "feels" right, that is when I am out of the "power band" If I go past that is when all the shaking starts.

Ken, I have replaced the entire exhaust system with NOS. I'll loosen it all and reposition, making sure that there is sufficient clearance.

I will report back. Thanks all.

Chris