Pic request for spark plug wire (jumper)...

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

aceecaus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Pic request for spark plug wire (jumper)...

Unread post by aceecaus » November 27th, 2010, 12:31 am

A pic is worth a thousand words and I am trying to "time" my engine but as we all know, I can't use the shielded plug wires for the inductor. I have an old wire to use as a jumper, but I'm not understanding the way to strip the ends and "jam" them in to where the plug is and the end to the distributor. The connectors look to secured to allow a wire to jam in there. If anyone has a pic of this set up, it will help me out tremendously!!!

Thanks in advance.

Oh and happy belated turkey day to all!

Ace.

Cobra5
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Pic request for spark plug wire (jumper)...

Unread post by Cobra5 » November 27th, 2010, 9:54 am

No pic necessary if your talking about timing the engine. Take the spark plug wire off the #1 spark plug and the distributor. Cut the ends off a typical automotive spark plug wire. Put one end in the distributor and the other into the spark plug. Hook your timing light up the same way you would on your car except, if you have a 12v timing light make sure your power source is 12v. You can use your car or a spare car battery if you have one. Also if you have a timing advance feature on your timing light make sure its set to zero. You can start the engine normally and it will idle fine with the odd plug wire. Just don't try to drive it around with this set up. Thats all there is to it.

aceecaus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by aceecaus » November 27th, 2010, 10:04 am

Got it! Thanks Cobra5.

Motorcityman
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by Motorcityman » November 27th, 2010, 11:03 am

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » November 27th, 2010, 5:12 pm

You can use a 12 volt timing light with the batteries of your jeep. Just hook it up to the grounded battery. I use an old military spark plug wire with about 5 inches of the shielding removed.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

aceecaus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by aceecaus » November 27th, 2010, 9:20 pm

I have a 12V timing light with advance and RPM meter. I set up the jumper wire earlier but I will time it tomorrow. In regards to hooking it up to the grounded battery on the jeep, just to make sure so I don't blow my timing light, hook the pos to pos and neg to neg but to the grounded battery...? I'll set the advance on the meter to 0, hit the strobe, see the marks, and move the dist as necessary to get the lines aligned (while at idle of 450 RPMS?) and that should be it. Am I missing anything?

Ace.

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » November 28th, 2010, 6:30 am

aceecaus wrote:........ I'll set the advance on the meter to 0, hit the strobe, see the marks, and move the dist as necessary to get the lines aligned (while at idle of 450 RPMS?) and that should be it. Am I missing anything? Ace.
Hello Ace,
If you want to do the job right first time, there are a few extra steps to take BEFORE adjusting the ignition timing. In the order below:-

1. Change oil in air cleaner;
2. Clean out the fuel filter (the in-line filter between the tank/pump and carb, if you have one fitted);
3. Get the engine fully warmed up,
4. Re-set valve clearances. Gap is 0.015" (0.38 mm)
5. Re-gap spark plugs. Gap is 0.032" to 0.036" (0.812 mm to 0.914 mm)
6. Re-set points gap (if not using electronic ignition). Gap is 0.017" to 0.022" (0.43 mm to 0.56 mm)

If your engine has the Emission Control system (late model M151A2 with emission canister), set the engine idle speed to between 625-675 rpm.

If your engine is the Pre-Emission Control type (M151, M151A1 and early M151A2 - no canister), then set the engine idle speed to between 500-550 rpm.

When you have completed the timing adjustment, re-check the idling speed and if it has increased or decreased, re-adjust to the specs above.

Ken
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » November 28th, 2010, 9:50 am

As far as hooking to your batteries you can use either battery just make sure you use the terminals on one battery only, do not ground to vehicle.

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

aceecaus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by aceecaus » November 28th, 2010, 10:08 am

Thanks Muttguru and RickF as always for your expert knowledge. I'm timing it this afternoon, so I'll keep you all posted.

Ace.

aceecaus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by aceecaus » November 28th, 2010, 5:36 pm

That did the trick!
I didn't realize how high my RPM's were set and timing was a little retarded by a couple of degrees. Brought it down to 550 and got the timing marks bang on the button and it runs GREAT!
Thanks Gentlemen.

Ace.

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » November 28th, 2010, 7:15 pm

aceecaus wrote:That did the trick! ......it runs GREAT!
Ace.
Ace. that's what we like to hear :D
ken
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"