Water pump problem/engine mount question

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

ppauto
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Water pump problem/engine mount question

Unread post by ppauto » December 23rd, 2010, 11:39 pm

I bought a new water pump as listed in the Civilian parts cross-reference. It's the A1 Cardone 58-244. I tried to install it tonight and it doesn't fit. The pump body appears to be correct but the impeller is a diifferent type than the original. The new impeller is a bit larger in diameter than the hole in the block. The picture of the pump where I bought it (on Amazon) shows the original type impeller but that's not what I received. I have contacted the seller to voice my displeasure but I have painted it and applied silicone, so.... I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this issue with a replacement water pump.

I have 3 sets of engine mount brackets. Two of these sets I removed from engines. (one from my '60 and the other from the '64 Kaiser I parted out) These have a horizontal inner brace and the turned over edge. These definitely look stronger. I have one set with out this rib and with straight sides. ( I believe these came from a '67) When were the different types used? ImageImageImage

Mr. Recovery
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Water pump problem/engine mount question

Unread post by Mr. Recovery » December 24th, 2010, 12:23 am

Here are some photos of what I had to do on the one I used on my rebuild, I also had to do it on 3 I replaced at work. Your problem may be the same. The castings on the repo's seem to be a litter thicker, I have found that the boss around the bolt hole under the radiator hose neck was hitting a screw head on the timing gear cover, so it may not be the impeller at all. Hope this helps!

1960 M151 Run 1
1963 M151 Willys DoD 10-63 in Baltimore
1989 Alley Cat. "work in Progress"
NRA Life Member
American Legion Post 275 Fl
US Army 6 years 2nd Armored Cavalry Bindlach Germany
Colorado Army Nat. Guard 5 years
Md Air Guard 15 years active duty on C-130's

ppauto
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by ppauto » December 24th, 2010, 1:06 am

I measured and the impeller is 1/16" larger in diameter than the hole. In your picture, you can see that the impeller is smaller than the raised shoulder. On my new one. the impeller is larger than the shoulder.

tankerm60
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by tankerm60 » December 24th, 2010, 5:53 am

Hello Mr P + Mr D.

Merry Christmas to You Both !

I had a similar problem years ago with my replacement pump-like mr d's pic. Mine did not have a problem with the thickness of the casing and did not need to grind mine down. IT was the IMPellar itself being to wide. I measured this to an NOS original h20 pump. These replacement impellars are TO WIDE. So, I brought it to a machine shop to see if it could be ground down to proper size. The cost was not worth it as the impellar had to be pressed out and then reinstalled. I as well called the seller of this.Fell on deaf ears. They stated they were used on the M715 engine as well !!! NYET ! Any ways, these were made in Taiwan. I new a mutual friend that had one of these as well. He resiszed his and it worked out OK, ground it down himself. So, it was a USELESS pump for me. I ended up using it for an anchor for my canoe!

As far as the engine mounts go, My 63 M151 had the early mounts, my 64 engine had the early mounts. My 1965 M151a1 had the later style as well as my 2 1967 M151a1's. The reason they switched as the OLDER style trapped water, mud and grease and the small drain holes did not work well. So, I would say in 1965 they switched to the newer type. I am sure Ken will add to this. Just my 2 cents.

Anyways MERRY CHRISTMAS to ALL the MEMBERS from the UKraine! We celebrate on Jan 7th So SLOW Down on the Egg NOG !

Dave- TankerM60 :roll:

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » December 24th, 2010, 9:00 am

I can't help you on the pump, I have always used NOS replacements but the mounts are like anything else. As they get to the newer years they start wanting to save money so things are made with less material. Think about the difference in weight between those two mounts and multiply that by 10,000. A lot of weight there and steel is sold by the pound. The thinner mounts are plenty strong and if you wanted you could weld in a cross bar and it would look factory.

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone