Gotta have an MP5 for each hand...NO?

Wanna give your mutt some teeth? This is the place.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

ohiomgman
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Gotta have an MP5 for each hand...NO?

Unread post by ohiomgman » August 13th, 2011, 5:31 pm

I was going to build this MP5-40 kit and receiver into an MP5-40 pistol...BUT.... I put the A3 stock on it and it gave me wood...so...I just went ahead and processed a form 2, SBR registration on it.... I like the stock on it. :)

The kit was supplied with the incorrect selector lever and needs the flash hider/thread protector..I will order them today. I already have the FBI, style plastic lower coming for it.. I also need a couple spare magazines.. One magazine, for an MP5 bullet hose...just will not get it. The action is smooth as silk. Trigger is typical lousy H&K. I will pull the pack out Monday and send it out to Bill Springfield for a trigger job. He did the trigger in MY MP5 9mm and it is SWEET. I do not have anything else in .40S&W. NOW...I gotto go and buy some anmmo...:)

NRA Life Member. Class 7 FFL/ SOT
1964, M151-A1
1950, US M-38 Jeep. Serial # 36.
1952,US M-38 Jeep
1965, Willys M-274 Mule
1945, CCKW, closed cab, 353
416 Trailer
M100 Trailer
US Army 5 year RA. RSVN 1968-1970

ltsimp
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: Gotta have an MP5 for each hand...NO?

Unread post by ltsimp » August 14th, 2011, 9:10 am

Cool! Great job. Do you smithing work as a hobby or for a living?

ohiomgman
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by ohiomgman » August 14th, 2011, 11:12 am

ltsimp wrote:Cool! Great job. Do you smithing work as a hobby or for a living?

I have been a Licensed FFL/SOT manufacturer for a very long time. I am also a retired old fart, who also builds toys...to keep his hands busy...just like most old farts.

I am not a gunsmith as it were. I am an armorer. I would have no idea how to work on a beautiful old Belgian Browning shotgun... I leave THAT to someone MUCH better at it than I am.
1964, M151-A1
1952,US M-38 Jeep
1965, Willys M-274 Mule
416 Trailer
M100 Trailer

Francis Marion
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread post by Francis Marion » August 15th, 2011, 12:54 am

ohiomgman wrote:Trigger is typical lousy H&K.
Reminded me of this: HK. Because you suck, and we hate you.
1968 M151A1
1967 M416

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » August 15th, 2011, 5:24 pm

Francis Marion wrote:
ohiomgman wrote:Trigger is typical lousy H&K.
Reminded me of this: HK. Because you suck, and we hate you.

Interesting link. The following quotes sum up my feelings for H&K rather neatly. In fact I think they should abbreviate it H$K instead of H&K.
Sure, they’re decently reliable, decently accurate guns, but they’re massively overpriced and overrated by legions of fan boys
For each of their wunder guns, you can get something else that costs a lot less, and works better, and has ergonomics designed by people that actually shoot
Now the G3 is a decent rifle. It is a cheap, stamped sheet metal, battle rifle. It has terrible ergonomics, with a hard to use safety, (and this is coming from a guy with gorilla hands), and difficult to use charging handle.

All that said, I still covet the MP5 :mrgreen:

Raymond
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

ohiomgman
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by ohiomgman » August 16th, 2011, 12:00 pm

Well...yes..H&K's are overpriced mass produced sheet metal guns. No argument. But. You wanna play the game...you pay the prices. Their triggers are assembled from bins of parts and are designed to ONLY function reliably. They DO, however, benefit... from being ...'handfitted and tuned'... by an aftermarket gunsmith. Most all of my H&K's have had the benefit of trigger tuning. YES... Many H&K owners are effete pseudo homosexual snobs who are in search of their manhood and who attend "drum beating" man parties dressed in gold lame undies. MOST, H&K owners are...well...I don't know how they are. I have gone to several H&K websites and the snobishness over a sheet metal, mass produced firearm, are/is nauseating. I have a G3 that is full auto and it always goes... "BANG!" It does not seem to be real picky about whatever crap I feed it either... I also have AK's that gobble up whatever is on sale... If it does not reliably bust a cap...everytime...it is irrelevant how much it costs, or who made it.

Some tools cost more than others.

Some toys cost more than others.

You pay what the going rate is... or you sit at home playing video games... instead of training with the real McCoy.

I still have the first H&K91A3 I ever purchased. It is painted a kind of gray color. I am adding to my H&K stash while I can still find the parts to bang them together. Next, I think...is a an H&KMP5SD in 9mm... I like..the ...QUITE!

Years ago I had a new MP5SD...I shot it for a year...and it was really cool. I could write my name in full auto at 100' in near silence as it popped out rounds on full auto. I have been kicking myself for selling it ever since...
Last edited by ohiomgman on August 31st, 2011, 10:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
1964, M151-A1
1952,US M-38 Jeep
1965, Willys M-274 Mule
416 Trailer
M100 Trailer

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » August 16th, 2011, 12:09 pm

My main beef with the CETME/G3/91 is the location of the cocking handle.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

ohiomgman
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by ohiomgman » August 16th, 2011, 12:20 pm

To operate the cocking handle on a G3..or...to change out a magazine... you do not need to remove your shooting (right) hand from the pistol grip. THE SAME feature I liked about the M-16 rifle. I do not find the H&K cocking system to be at all akward. I have put many many cases of ammo through them over the years.. The MP5-40 I just completed has a system which locks the bolt back after the last round is ejected from the chamber.. I have always liked THAT feature on a combat rifle. It is the only H&K I have that has THAT feature.
1964, M151-A1
1952,US M-38 Jeep
1965, Willys M-274 Mule
416 Trailer
M100 Trailer

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » August 16th, 2011, 4:33 pm

ohiomgman wrote:To operate the cocking handle on a G3..or...to change out a magazine... you do not need to remove your shooting (right) hand from the pistol grip. THE SAME feature I liked about the M-16 rifle. I do not find the H&K cocking system to be at all akward. I have put many many cases of ammo through them over the years.. The MP5-40 I just completed has a system which locks the bolt back after the last round is ejected from the chamber.. I have always liked THAT feature on a combat rifle. It is the only H&K I have that has THAT feature.

I shoot a rifle left handed. The HK design is not very friendly in that regard.
Raymond

ltsimp
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by ltsimp » August 16th, 2011, 7:01 pm

Just for giggles. What would it cost for you to make one for sale. If that is even possible?

ohiomgman
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by ohiomgman » August 17th, 2011, 11:29 am

ltsimp wrote:Just for giggles. What would it cost for you to make one for sale. If that is even possible?

Your best bet at the present time is to purchase an MP5-40cal, or an MP5-9mm, as a pistol. Many states, localities, etc., are under communist control and thus, behind the IRON CURTAIN and will NOT allow you to exercise your 2nd Adm., rights as per form 4 machine gun, a silencer, or a Short barreled rifle. Sometimes even you, owning, an MP5 semi-auto pistol is too much for the commissars. Check on your local/State laws before pursuing. I will prob build my MP5SD as a pistol to avoid having the issue of TWO tax stamps (1-Silencer and 1-SBR) in case I decide to sell it to a private individual. MP540 kits ...have all but dried up...so have the receivers to build them. 9mm kits are around. Sniff around over on Gun Broker. Of course....form 4, MP5 machine guns, are going to be a bit...pricy... That is why we poorboys are doing SBR's. :)
1964, M151-A1
1952,US M-38 Jeep
1965, Willys M-274 Mule
416 Trailer
M100 Trailer

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 17th, 2011, 12:00 pm

You can't even own one in NJ! Hell, I might get in trouble for even thinking about one. :roll:

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » August 17th, 2011, 12:25 pm

rickf wrote:You can't even own one in NJ! Hell, I might get in trouble for even thinking about one. :roll:

Rick

Rick

I bet your nosey neighbors would really like that :shock:

Raymond
Raymond

Francis Marion
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread post by Francis Marion » August 17th, 2011, 10:14 pm

I worked with the Czech SOF in Afghanistan back in '04 and many of them carried the MP5SD. It was a sweet weapon and sounded just like my silenced paintball gun; it had the same report and the same splat on plywood.

The like I provided was written by a friend in Utah who wrote it following multiple failed attempts to receive parts and service from H&K and has been copied onto many gun forums over the years. He co-owned a gun store with a friend from my Guard unit and I attended his Concealed Permit class. He has a great sense of humor that permeates about everything he does to include his writing. He has since sold his share of the store and spends all his time writing books surrounding his two most favorite pastimes; guns and B movies. They are some of the most entertaining reading I have read and I really suggest you check out his NY Times bestselling series of Monster Hunter International books.
1968 M151A1
1967 M416

Motorcityman
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by Motorcityman » August 18th, 2011, 11:17 am

Francis Marion wrote: The like I provided was written by a friend in Utah who wrote it following multiple failed attempts to receive parts and service from H&K and has been copied onto many gun forums over the years. He co-owned a gun store with a friend from my Guard unit and I attended his Concealed Permit class. He has a great sense of humor that permeates about everything he does to include his writing. He has since sold his share of the store and spends all his time writing books surrounding his two most favorite pastimes; guns and B movies. They are some of the most entertaining reading I have read and I really suggest you check out his NY Times bestselling series of Monster Hunter International books.
FBMG?