Found on CL - (Not Mine) 2019

Got something you don't need? Sell it here

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Surveyor
Terminal

Re: Found on CL - (Not Mine) 2019

Unread post by Surveyor » November 5th, 2019, 7:07 pm

Exciting? Heck yeah! Engineers get the blame for this one!
1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » November 7th, 2019, 9:33 am

I rest my case... 8)

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » November 7th, 2019, 8:16 pm

Well, the hobby is struggling. That 90'S Titan only bid up to 5k. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-AM-Genera ... _cvip=true
IT DID NOT MEET THE RESERVE.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » November 7th, 2019, 9:48 pm

A Titan is not really part of the military vehicle "Hobby" per say, It is an after market body with m 151 parts on it, A wannabe if you want. And a lot of purists look at it that way so you cannot go by what a Titan sells for. You also cannot go by what one vehicle sells for, you have to look at the hobby as a whole. You yourself have made many, many comments that show you are one of those who is more interested in taking an old military vehicle and beating it off road. You got one with a super rare one of a kind engine and scrapped the engine and converted the vehicle into a stock 151. This is not what a true believer in the hobby would do. I am not saying that is what everybody should do with their vehicles, they bought them so they can do whatever. But don't say the hobby is in trouble when you do not subscribe to that form of relationship with the vehicles.

And what do you thinks a Titan is worth? I certainly would not pay more than 5 grand for one no matter how nice it is.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » November 8th, 2019, 1:02 pm

Miss Saigon back up on CL. https://wausau.craigslist.org/cto/d/mer ... 39097.html

M718 ARMY JEEP AMBULANCE, FORD,M151, - $15900

Takeout Engines Tennessee - $250 https://chattanooga.craigslist.org/pts/ ... 73511.html

Takeout Engines Rhode Island - $750 https://providence.craigslist.org/pts/d ... 44386.html
1960 M151 Run #1
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

m75
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread post by m75 » November 8th, 2019, 1:24 pm

Those Rhode Island engines look (externally anyway) like they've had a good life.
Jim Peterson
SGM, 31B Retired 2015
1961 M151 -Sold
1974 M151A2, Working It!

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » November 8th, 2019, 3:31 pm

acudanut wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 3:26 pm
acudanut wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 3:25 pm
rickf wrote:
November 7th, 2019, 9:48 pm
A Titan is not really part of the military vehicle "Hobby" per say, It is an after market body with m 151 parts on it, A wannabe if you want. And a lot of purists look at it that way so you cannot go by what a Titan sells for. You also cannot go by what one vehicle sells for, you have to look at the hobby as a whole. You yourself have made many, many comments that show you are one of those who is more interested in taking an old military vehicle and beating it off road. You got one with a super rare one of a kind engine and scrapped the engine and converted the vehicle into a stock 151. This is not what a true believer in the hobby would do. I am not saying that is what everybody should do with their vehicles, they bought them so they can do whatever. But don't say the hobby is in trouble when you do not subscribe to that form of relationship with the vehicles.

And what do you thinks a Titan is worth? I certainly would not pay more than 5 grand for one no matter how nice it is.
Would you object to a New Heart or Liver from a Donor to save your life. ? That's how I feel about the M-151's. Whatever it takes to make it live another day. Cheers. I don't know why you are attacking me. Did I insult you or something ?

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » November 8th, 2019, 7:59 pm

Not attacking you. Just pointing out what we have seen. You have not seen me in attack mode and never will on this forum. Like I said, you bought the vehicle and it is yours to do what you want with it. The hobby is doing as well as any other antique vehicle hobby. They all go up and down like roller coasters. Prices are on the rise again on M-151's but a few years ago they hit rock bottom. Model A fords were real low for many years and now they are coming back. The antique hobby is driven by supply and demand which is driven by the economy.

And as far as what you call "attacking".............. You have thrown your fair share out there. Like the "joke" about the King of England? I can assure you that the English people do not take well to foreigners joking about their royalty. No more than we like someone from another country insulting our president.

Now, do you want me to leave all three of your last three identical posts up or pare it down to just one. Or you can do it, whatever you like.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » November 8th, 2019, 9:26 pm

I think I would have to agree that aftermarket kits aren't really M151s, nor should they be held out to be, especially in the matter of resale. These kits only exist as a response to the government's effort to circumvent the "normal" procedure of selling off surplus vehicles that are whole.

I daresay, if we were Lamborghini owners, the bar would be set far higher than we find it to be here and now, because we simply wouldn't tolerate the mixing our high end performance cars with lesser kit cars. Why? Because Lambo kits are absolutely fake Lamborghinis for people who cannot afford the real deal.

My distinction is a very fine one - where Lamborghinis are concerned, the circumstance exists solely out of personal financial considerations and with M151s, because the government was putting undue hardship upon people whose money was just as green as the next guy's money; people who deserved full value for their dollar and whose tax dollars helped to purchase the M151 in the first place. Instead they were forced to endure situation that was held just beyond the buyer's control when it should not have been. I find it hard to believe that the government would keep soldiers using the M151 series of truck for as long as they did and then decide they were too unsafe for the rest of the American public. In short, the government artificially devalued property that should have and would have brought far more money back into the government coffers.

Now if this sounds as if I am looking askance at kits, I assure you I am not. The Titan, Alley Cat and Encore kits (did I miss one or two?) are also part of the M151 story and are, for the most part, quite reasonable attempts at constructing a similar truck. Freed from the restraints of the government's design specifications, they are far hardier and more robust that an original M151s (which is exactly where real Jeep designs went between wars). They ended up with better frames, better drivelines etc.

But the fact is y'all just happen to be comparing apples and oranges at the moment.

We are extremely lucky to have people here who are so deeply interested in these trucks. So much so that they are capable of making tidbits of historic information available to us to help enrich our own understanding, appreciation and interpretation of these trucks. All of us need to respect that.

We also have people who are willing to take their own M151s out and put them through their paces and I can respect that as well, provided they are not being wasteful and thrashing their vehicle for no other reason than to run it into the ground. That sort of behavior is certainly well within the purview of private ownership, but it is not going to be well received in this forum.

And finally, there are those of us who believe that because we really only have temporary custody of these trucks we have a responsibility to preserve them in as much as we are able either by a modicum of care, or perhaps restoration at some level, or by stopping the vehicle from degrading further.

Whichever camp you find yourself in, you should attempt be respectful of the other fellow's position. A difference of opinion does not rise to the level of an attack.

Cheers,
TJ

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » November 9th, 2019, 11:12 am

"you are one of those who is more interested in taking an old military vehicle and beating it off road. You got one with a super rare one of a kind engine and scrapped the engine and converted the vehicle into a stock 151. This is not what a true believer in the hobby would do."

1. I do not beat or tear up any M-151's. I drive them.
2. Super rare does not mean anything to me or anyone if nobody wants it.
3. I Did not scrap the Engine as you claim, it is in good hands.
4. So yeah, I would say that was a attack. Do I care ? Not really.

Cheers

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » November 9th, 2019, 1:07 pm

You told me you scrapped the engine and I am sure I can find the post where you told me that, but I don't care either. This whole conversation is just going in circles so why don't we just call it a draw and move on?
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » November 9th, 2019, 1:18 pm

rickf wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 1:07 pm
You told me you scrapped the engine and I am sure I can find the post where you told me that, but I don't care either. This whole conversation is just going in circles so why don't we just call it a draw and move on?
Yes, lets move on Sir. You can't beat a dead horse.

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » November 9th, 2019, 1:22 pm

m3a1 wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 11:13 pm
I mean that its value resides in the fact that it is apparently #118 of that production run which is pretty early. Thus, if someone were to acquire it (all consideration of the dollar valuation put aside) much might be learned about production techniques at that time or other such minuscule information. Information that serves to fill in the blanks about our trucks' long heritage.
Not surprisingly, the Willys Motors M151 did not sell. He hasn't re-listed it (yet) but I think he may get more interest if he halves the starting price.
The UK is in a sort of Tholian Web (see Star Trek for explanation). Brexit has still not been achieved after 3+ years and now there's a general election in December....but for those past three years everything has slowed down or stopped. This uncertainty is having big effects on every part of the economy and until it is sorted one way or another, there won't be any revival soon and M151 prices are not exempt from this.
Ken
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » November 19th, 2019, 9:37 am

a2 in New York for $13500 with title...

https://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/pts/ ... 77613.html

1960 M151 Run #1

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » November 20th, 2019, 8:47 pm

A2 in Colorado for $8000. No mention on cut/uncut. Whoever gets this one, I'm envious already. :mrgreen:

https://cosprings.craigslist.org/for/d/ ... 72636.html

1960 M151 Run #1