Nobody seems to ever be looking for M-151 parts

Need something for your Mutt? Let us know!

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

agwrangler
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: Nobody seems to ever be looking for M-151 parts

Unread post by agwrangler » January 3rd, 2020, 2:47 pm

Its like my old boss (military dealer in Tx) used to say: "Ebay is a necessary evil. You can't sell like you used to without ebay, but the fees are enough to kill you, so you have to raise the price tremendously."
He was absolutely right. Ebay sucks, and the 14% they take is outrageous, but without it, guys like him would go out of business, I think. Just not able to reach the masses any other way.
Just my 2 cents.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » January 3rd, 2020, 7:44 pm

They can, They just don't want to. Mail order is just so easy and I can guarantee that the prices they are asking on Ebay are a hell of a lot higher than 14% above show prices, plus they pull the little trick of tripling the shipping costs and collecting on that also. I say the prices are much higher than show prices, that is not completely true since everyone has raised the prices at shows to equal online pricing. Everyone wants to get rich overnight now. It will all fall apart sooner or later, incomes will just not continue to support the super high costs of hobbies.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Fil Bonica
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Fil Bonica » January 3rd, 2020, 8:56 pm

While I have a limited supply and it is a hobby for me I try to keep prices fair.
It’s fun to meet new hobbyists and help out where I can.
Ebay has been a help introducing my ignition lock and mirror bracket.

Fil Bonica
K1ABW

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by lpcoating » January 3rd, 2020, 10:33 pm

I have a handful of body panel parts listed on e-bay. They are marked up to cover the average shipping cost. I list them on there for advertisement and to reach more potential customers. There are a lot of people out there with 151s that are not on here, the 503 or SS.

Guy
M151 Body Panels - http://www.m151bodypanels.com/

'68 A1 - Under full resto

agwrangler
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by agwrangler » January 6th, 2020, 5:25 pm

rickf wrote:
January 3rd, 2020, 7:44 pm
They can, They just don't want to. Mail order is just so easy and I can guarantee that the prices they are asking on Ebay are a hell of a lot higher than 14% above show prices, plus they pull the little trick of tripling the shipping costs and collecting on that also. I say the prices are much higher than show prices, that is not completely true since everyone has raised the prices at shows to equal online pricing. Everyone wants to get rich overnight now. It will all fall apart sooner or later, incomes will just not continue to support the super high costs of hobbies.
You say they can, they just dont want to. I can tell you 100% that you are wrong. Even though he was in the hobby for 30+ years, when he started putting bulk items on ebay, his sales went through the roof. And they have stayed that way. Ebay is a worldwide tool to reach people who may not be on G503, or G838, steel soldiers, or whatever. I know people who ONLY shop through ebay. So yes, there are swap meets, shows, and people can have their websites or whatever. But I have seen firsthand, for YEARS, that using a well known platform that is already there is a necessary evil for guys in our hobby. Hell, i HATE ebay, but i still use it, sell on it, BUY on it, etc. Its convenient, you are protected by them in case you get something bad, and you can find RARE, good items on there. While some of the prices of things on ebay are outrageous, a lot of the prices are completely fair, and the shipping is fair. When you find a good seller, use them, and if you find a problem, just let them know. I have had VERY few problems buying and selling on ebay that could not be solved by a little messaging back and forth. But back to my original point, ebay reaches a far greater swath of people than not using, no question.

Fil Bonica
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Fil Bonica » January 6th, 2020, 11:06 pm

If you are patient and become an educated consumer you will find that ebay is a good source for anything you want.
Use it all the time to buy all sorts of things from 151 parts to hearing aid batteries.
You have to know what things are worth before you start.
As far as shipping goes ask before you buy.
If you run in to a road block then dont Buy.
As with anything else you can still get stung.
The good far outweighs any bad.

Fil Bonica
K1ABW

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » January 6th, 2020, 11:35 pm

"Life is hard. It's harder if you don't choose wisely on eBay."
John Wayne (well, maybe not John Wayne...)

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » January 9th, 2020, 1:44 pm

It's funny this thread comes up as I am fighting with a seller over an item that I bought and paid for on Ebay that never showed up but he swears is in the postal system right here in NJ. The Postal people here in NJ tell me it never left the post office in Farmingdale Missouri where it was signed in. They tell me the container that the package was in arrived with all the other mail but that package was not in there. Well this back and forth has been going on for a week and I am going to file a claim with Ebay and I am sure between them or my card company I will get my money back but it is just the general hassle and the loss of money over that period of time that s the pain. Anything, and I mean ANYTHING, that goes by way of USPS is going to get screwed up! Ken sent me a large poster one time in a tube from England, I got the tube, empty! It had been very carefully cut open, the contents removed and taped shut before being sent on. This was done after it cleared customs. In other words it happened in the Postal System. So yes, you can send things cheap, but chances of them getting there are iffy and getting there on time are slim to zilch. But why is it when you go to a show and buy the stuff in person with no shipping at all the prices are exactly the same? That used to be the whole reason for the shows and I think that is what is happening. The vendors do not want to truck stuff to shows and sit there when they can sit at home and do it online so they charge the same price either way and then say they are just not making enough money at the shows to make worth going. Sad but I guess that is how todays society works, sit inside all the time instead of getting out and doing things outside. I can tell those of you that feel that way that when you get to a point where you physically cannot get outside and do things you will really wish you had done it when you could.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » January 9th, 2020, 3:07 pm

Over the last few months I've bought several items off Ebay USA but when I first saw the items, the postage from US to UK was extortionate.

When I delved into the details, I realised that USPS Priority Mail was the reason....it is ebay's preferred scheme for Ebay purchases. I contacted the sellers on each occasion and asked if they would consider sending the items by plain airmail if I was to bid and win.

The cost was MILES cheaper and the items arrived safe and sound....and delivery was QUICKER that other items that I'd paid the full Priority Mail charge for.

For me here in the UK, if the item is fairly low-value, taking the risk of the cheaper postage option makes sense but I wouldn't want to try it with any high-end or extra-rare purchase from the USA.

ken
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » January 9th, 2020, 4:50 pm

"Extortionate"

Now there's a word that's going straight into my 'preferred use' file.

Good one!

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » January 9th, 2020, 5:18 pm

1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin