Beverly Hillbillies

This is a spot for posting those old photos of your service days, your favorite tractor, whatever...Don't be shy we all love looking at pictures! No Nekkid People though, this is a "G" rated site!

Moderators: rickf, moose53, Mr. Recovery, raymond

m3a1
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Beverly Hillbillies

Post by m3a1 » November 9th, 2019, 11:00 pm

The truck is back from getting a new windshield and, with it glued in, my formerly all-weather cab is now dry as a bone. We even had two days of rain to test it out. Dry....like the Sahara. The former owner chased what he thought was a roof leak for years and he never found it. Why? Because he was looking in the wrong place which is the same thing he had been doing when he was looking for the fuel leak... which turned out to be a transmission cooler line. :oops: There's a lesson in there somewhere.

Hit the ground runnin' today. Yesterday I stopped at the local Auto Zone (I prefer O'Reilly's but local construction has made it nearly impossible to get there) to see what they stocked for replacement filters for my 7.3L PowerStroke. The truck is new to me and I wasn't sure what I would actually find once I got in there. When I removed my filter element this morning I found what Auto Zone had on hand was a perfect match. So, I went over and grabbed one and OH BOY! what a difference in performance. Like, 10% more gittyup! Evidently, this needed to be done. :P

I'm still dealing with water in the fuel tank owing chiefly to the fact that the truck sat for so long (a length of time which is measured in years) but the water separator is doing a really good job of grabbing what comes up and I'm doing a really good job of purging it. Soon we'll be popping the bed off to replace the fuel filler necks (the rear one leaks) both of which are as old as the truck (23 years old...almost an antique!). So while we're in there the tanks will get pumped out, fully drained and inspected. With that done, I will run it a bit and then put another new filter done to catch whatever I stirred up. That should put me back on level ground where fuel is concerned. That big diesel asks for very little...just a good flow of air, clean, unrestricted fuel, and regular oil changes.

This is my first diesel...ever. With age and mysterious aches and pains creeping up on me I have made efforts to gather the equipment I think I will need to stay active in the hobby and that includes a strong-pulling truck. But, because what I am doing is hobby related, paying a ton of money for that truck was not what I would call 'good business' so I grabbed this when it became available and I'm working through its little problems, none of which have been terribly bad, or terribly expensive. Fortunately for me, this truck never had to work for a living. All the previous owners wanted this big truck solely for use as a Cowboy Cadillac. So maybe, acquiring this truck was a very good decision. We shall see.

Cheers,
TJ

acudanut
USMC Gunny
USMC Gunny

Post by acudanut » November 12th, 2019, 4:35 pm

Remember never to crank, until the wait to start light goes off. !! Let the glow plugs and controller do their jobs. !!

m3a1
Colonel
Colonel

Post by m3a1 » November 12th, 2019, 8:52 pm

Yup. Got that drill down pat. Got to try the block heater last night. Dipped down into the mid twenties overnight. I came out in the morning to find ice on one side of the truck. So, to see just what good a block heater would do, I fired it up and oh boy, that truck really fired right up! Hoo! That made me happy!

Surveyor
Terminal

Post by Surveyor » November 12th, 2019, 9:02 pm

Depending on area, one of the first things you may learn when not using a truck stop is that no matter how big the filling station is, every single gas pump will be open except for the dual gas/diesel one(s) which will of course be occupied by gas guzzlers. :roll:

My last company one was a 250.... was a great truck. We put over 200,000 on it before they sold it. Was still going strong.

Last edited by Surveyor on November 12th, 2019, 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1960 M151 Run #1 (working on it) 60 in 2020!
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

rickf
General
General

Post by rickf » November 12th, 2019, 9:05 pm

The early powerstrokes had a strange wiring setup for the glow plugs and injectors. If you look at the valve covers where they meet the intake manifold you will see two plugs going into the gasket on either side. That is the power for the injectors and the glow plugs. Now when you think about the fact that the glow plugs can draw 10-15 amps each through those 18 ga. wires and those tiny plugs you will see where the problem lies. The plugs eventually heat up and burn and eventually the glow circuit will short to the injector circuit. 99% of the time this results in the four injectors on that bank shutting down as a precaution to prevent burning out the injector driver module. They make replacement plugs, valve cover gaskets and under valve cover harness's to replace all of that stuff. These trucks will start in extremely low temps without the block heater as long as the glow plugs are working correctly. Which they usually are not. The block heater will normally take about an hour bare minimum to get any heat in the block. That is 1250 lbs of steel your are trying to warm up there, along with 12 quarts of oil and five gallons of antifreeze. When I was plowing I would just plug it in when I got home. It is an 1100 watt heater though so when it is on it is power hungry.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

m3a1
Colonel
Colonel

Post by m3a1 » November 12th, 2019, 11:33 pm

Odd that you should mention that. I just watched a youtube video of that exact problem being resolved by replacing a burned out gasket-wiring harness combo. Of course, the big tip off is having half the engine suddenly not running. :lol:

acudanut
USMC Gunny
USMC Gunny

Post by acudanut » November 13th, 2019, 3:20 pm

My 7.3 takes about 3 1/2 gallons of oil. It's a 100.00 oil change doing it myself. :shock:

m3a1
Colonel
Colonel

Post by m3a1 » November 13th, 2019, 4:45 pm

Not good. Where's the leak?

acudanut
USMC Gunny
USMC Gunny

Post by acudanut » November 14th, 2019, 1:52 pm

Ooops, I meant 2 1/2 gallons. No leaks. I think all P/S's, 97's through 2003 all had wires run inside the valve covers.
I only plug mine in when I need it and the temp is under 20 degrees.
Last edited by acudanut on November 15th, 2019, 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rickf
General
General

Post by rickf » November 14th, 2019, 7:05 pm

I would plug mine in when i had to get up to plow but once at work there was nowhere to plug in so whenever I got done, which could be 10, 12, 24 hours later it had to start on it's own. You want to be sure those glow plugs are going to work. AND you have two really good batteries. There were several time I was asking it to start in below zero weather after sitting all night. It didn't like it but it never let me down. The starter did finally go but it happened in the middle of summer thankfully.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone