Beverly Hillbillies, Part Deux

This is a spot for posting those old photos of your service days, your favorite tractor, whatever...Don't be shy we all love looking at pictures! No Nekkid People though, this is a "G" rated site!

Moderators: rickf, moose53, Mr. Recovery, raymond

m3a1
Major General
Major General

Re: Beverly Hillbillies, Part Deux

Post by m3a1 » October 10th, 2021, 9:31 pm

I reckon the replacement tube for the roller tire doesn't count because it belongs to the other chassis...and the replacement tire was free.

Lights, signage and whatnot; that which was bought specifically for the car's Halloween mission was - $26 for the Funeral Director signs, $13 for a new purchases in Halloween lighting (I might have used older lights of course) and $20 per side for the vintage Funeral Flags on the fenders. I just had to have those, even as pricey as they were. To help defray the cost, I made the standards for them and the toppers on those standards are vintage, nickel plated toppers... The real deal, just like the flags.

Don't ask me why I had 'em. I just tend to collect, and hang onto stuff like that.

Other than the Halloween things I bought for the car which add up to $79 and which may end up on some other Halloween task (so, does it really count?) I have zero dollars invested. The TIME we invested is another thing altogether. My father called that 'Sweat Equity'.

I think the point is, if one can practice being a bit miserly on one end, you'll have a few extra guilt-free bucks to spend on the other. Granted, the car didn't start out being what it is at the moment but DANG, it's doing a good job!

Now, how about a few pics?

Enjoy.

Skeletons climb menacingly over the fence on either side of the front gate. Do you dare enter here?
IMG_7617.jpg

Beware the Duck of Death!
IMG_7622.jpg
Can you outrun the Unicycle Clown? Let's find out!
IMG_7624.jpg
Sharing a nice bottle of BOOs..
IMG_7627.jpg
Hayseed on a barrel.
IMG_7629.jpg

m3a1
Major General
Major General

Post by m3a1 » October 11th, 2021, 11:55 am

IMG_7639.jpg
IMG_7642.jpg
IMG_7646.jpg

rickf
General
General

Post by rickf » October 11th, 2021, 12:12 pm

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!! Can you do just the black lights alone or do you have it set up for all of the lighting at once?
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

m3a1
Major General
Major General

Post by m3a1 » October 11th, 2021, 7:04 pm

Either, or both. I believe I sent you a video so you know the lights in the back are rotational and that they change color.

The limitations of the rotating light are that the base of the light is meant to be set low and the projections go up at an angle from there. Can't do that in this space without removing the back of the front seat. In my opinion, that's just not worth the extra effort.

It's almost always the best policy to make do with what ya got otherwise it quickly becomes a project that is far too time consuming. Besides, once the front seat is removed, y'all will want me to begin repairing the floor pan... Yeah. I know how you fellas think! :lol:

Cheers,
TJ

m3a1
Major General
Major General

Post by m3a1 » October 12th, 2021, 2:54 am

Okay, this is growing beyond my control. On a lark, Bill and I returned to the '49 Ford with a genset and the death wheel along with a long extension cord (and lots of cutting discs) and began the process of removing the body, aft of the B-pillar. The weather was very nice and it just seemed like a good day for it.

Frank wandered over and we showed him some pics of what had become of the '47 and I mentioned that some of you had suggested that I actually do something with it. Frank stared off into space for a moment and then said that he thought he might have had a replacement grill for it...somewhere.

:shock: Just shoot me now. :shock:

Well, I'm just gonna pretend I didn't hear that. If the replacement grill shows up, we'll all cross that bridge together, when (and if) we come to it. The 49 proved to be a bit more than we had allowed for because, yup, the back half of the body is still on there. I simply made plunge cuts around the body mounts and with lever and fulcrum we began to make sense of figuring out where things were hanging us up, such as mounts we had not discovered owing to there still being quite a bit of dirt on the body floor.

One by one we knocked them out and worked our way forward but I was getting pretty badly beaten up by the irregularities in the floor pan and all the kneeling and crouching. Friends, having a bad back is no picnic. There were the fuel tank straps (for a fuel tank that was utterly shot out with rust and yet, stubbornly keeping the floor down and a hidden body mount just off-center by the trunk catch.

The last cuts I made were the forward wing supports of the wheel-house (the ones that keep the body panel from sailing). They were completely hidden because the car is still very much in the ground and I only discovered them by knocking on the floor pan much as one does when trying to find a wall stud hidden behind sheet rock. Knock until the hollow sound becomes solid and you're there.

The floor pan is bisected immediately behind the front seat and yet something mysterious is hanging the whole thing up between that point and those wings. We will find it....just not today. I was pretty tired and decided to call it quits for the day. Not a good idea to keep on keepin' on with the death wheel when you're tired. Still, we're much further along than we were and success will be ours on the next visit.

By the way, Frank gave us a little back story on the '49 Ute. It was being used by a local nursery as a kind of pickup truck. I suppose using an actual pickup truck didn't occur to them. Maybe it actually looked kinda cool and was something of a promotional tool. At this late date I'm having trouble visualizing that level of cool-ness but, who knows. Anyway, the car eventually conked out and Frank came along and bought it, brought it home and then never did anything with it (which was probably a good thing because it's transformation into a ute really was an amateurish job); a job which we are busily erasing with the death wheel just as quickly as we can.

Cheers,
TJ
Last edited by m3a1 on October 14th, 2021, 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

m3a1
Major General
Major General

Post by m3a1 » October 13th, 2021, 11:21 am

These photos are perhaps a little too close in for anyone to get a sense of the project of removing the floor pan. I'll get a pic of the whole thing that will help with that, later.

What I am doing here is removing a panel so that there is space to get in there with a reciprocating saw to buzz through the rocker panels (this happens on both sides).

20211011_142438.jpg
20211011_142443.jpg

Panel by my left elbow is the bit that holds the window regulator for the rear, side window. Here, I am making a series of plunge cuts around a body mount, located just ahead of the wheel house.

20211011_143929.jpg

All of this work is meant not only to lighten the load but also to allow me access to the rear end and chassis (if there even IS a rear end!) and to make it altogether easier to dispose of the remains of the car once the salvage process is complete.

Cheers,
TJ