Re: Beverly Hillbillies

Unread post by m3a1 » August 10th, 2019, 10:54 pm

Ok, you mutts. The GTB put a happy (and sweaty) series of events in motion and,

Today
Was
The
BIG
Day!

To move this half track out, first ya gotta make a big hole and that means reducing a hangar queen 42 GPW to it's basic parts and make those salvaged parts go somewhere else...

I've never encountered a vehicle in such sad shape. Apparently it was the village bicycle, which is to say, everyone had a ride...

Meanwhile, maybe do a little horse trading along the way. Some people have yard gnomes. I have a tank. I'm sure that says something about me.

Bucky faithfully stands watch, waiting for the big move. Good boy, Bucky! You're The Man!

Mister Bones (my 1942 M2 half track) is ready to roll out...

..and feel the heat of the Texas sun once again!

A happy moment for my son because he knows this is going in the Christmas Parade this year. That's me in the background wondering how this thing actually got bigger since I saw it last! :lol:

And so, I go to bed VERY tired and VERY happy and with a great deal to do tomorrow because a lot of stuff got pulled out of the way and tossed aside for this move. Now I have to put it all back! It's worth it.

Cheers,
TJ

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 11th, 2019, 1:18 pm

It doesn't matter if it got bigger, just make the stuff in front of it smaller as you move it! Does it run under it's own power?
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 11th, 2019, 7:52 pm

At the moment, I have the carburetor off. Need to run a new fuel line and will probably get a new fuel pump in the doing of it.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 13th, 2019, 2:37 pm

I Am CURSED!!

I went to complete a trade today and ended up with what is probably a CJ2A frame, completely stripped with only very minor problems commensurate with it's age (such as a rather raggedy battery tray) and another set of jeep axles both front and rear, and four jeep wheels with what used to be tires.

Doggone it! How am I going to make MORE room around here if the stuff keeps coming in?....and don't tell me to just say NO. One simply doesn't turn their back on such things.

Lightbulb idea! Maybe assemble a chassis and driveline that is not serviceable, paint it up real pretty and take it to car shows to let people see what goes on beneath the Jeep's skin.

Cheers,
TJ

Mark
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Mark » August 13th, 2019, 5:28 pm

Start building vertical framework to store the parts, the sky is the limit!!
mark

1968 m274A5
1960 m151
1981 m151A2
1964 m416
1971 m416

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 13th, 2019, 9:19 pm

What size is your property? Find a pole barn that pretty much fits those dimensions and erect! Make sure it its two story to clear the roof of the house. Justify it to the wife by telling here we will NEVER have another roof leak in the house ever again, And those drafty nights? All gone! And you can sell the lawnmower! No more grass to cut!!!!!
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 13th, 2019, 9:31 pm

As hot as it has been, I think that's going to be the trend. I can stand 100-103 all day long with no dramas, but put me out in the sun in that temp...well, that's a non-starter for me. Having the half track out where I can work on it and be in the shade is a huge bonus. Tucked in under the tent there was very little room to move around.

The people running the grid actually made a request of the Texas public to dial back our electrical use this afternoon. Oh BOY! That didn't sound good. Being a good citizen, I ran around the house shutting things down. Don't know if it helped but I'm sure it didn't hurt.

Leaving here at 0700 for a 40 minute drive up into the hill country to pick up the booty and haul it home. Naturally, I will be taking pictures tomorrow.

Stay tuned.

Cheers,
TJ

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 14th, 2019, 8:57 am

A/C compressors do NOT like low voltage!!!!! I would be looking for a lot of law suits if they burn up a bunch of peoples air conditioners!
You need to buy a plot of land out in the middle of nowhere and put up a big assed pole barn to work out of. Somehow that house and property and your lifestyle are in direct conflict.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 14th, 2019, 7:08 pm

The saga continues...

My son - What's that smell?
Me - That's 6AM, son. That's what you're smelling.
My son - Eauwwww! That's disgusting!
Me - Yes, yes it is. Would you rather go when it's really hot?
My son - If it means getting enough sleep, then, Yes.
Me - You can sleep when you're dead, son....or on the way up. Either way, you're getting in the truck.

And so, we were off for the hill country with an empty trailer, a big bag of tie down straps, wood blocks, towels for mopping up gallons of sweat (and also to protect the straps from sharp edges) a 4-way lug wrench and other assorted and sundry items and two rather large dogs who live for car rides. Naturally, I forgot the gloves, but I did remember my coffee.

Loading was blissfully uneventful (no snakes which is a small miracle) and with the help of a front end loader and some good, stout chain most of the work was done for us. Came home with the goods, but found that the wheels were questionable at best, except for one which was a keeper. Went straight to the tire place who took the old tires and tubes for $5 each (meaning, I paid them to dismount and take them) which is better than having them round the shop. The benefit of having junk rims is axle groups sit nicely on them, keeping the good stuff off the ground.

What I think I ended up with is a CJ2A or 2B frame which needs a little work but, all-in-all, is in very acceptable condition. Success!

Cheers,
TJ

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 14th, 2019, 8:54 pm

You know............................ They make rehabs for people with issues like yours. :roll: Just sayin. :D And what is the deal with that trailer? That is the strangest shaped trailer I have ever seen!
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 14th, 2019, 9:49 pm

It's the Bat Trailer, Robin!

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 15th, 2019, 6:26 pm

I was actually going to make reference to that! Now I know why your son doesn't want to ride with you. Sort of like when I had my 1980 Ford pickup. My daughter hated riding in that truck. It did not have two panels that matched and it looked like it was a farm truck it's entire life. May have been, I don't know. It had a 300 straight 6 in it with a four speed and it would pull anything you could put in it! I had it loaded with 24 inch logs to the top of the bed and then pyramided above the cab and I stopped to get gas and there was an old native American working there and he came over and asked if I was working for Georgia Pacific! For those that don't know that was a huge logging company back in the 1800's all the way up through the 80's. I did actually work a stint for them passing through the northwest in the 70's. He was amazed the old truck was hauling it but told me that when he was young he would see this all the time in Oregon, Said those old Fords just never died. Mine never died, didn't particularly like to stop all that well with that much on it though. When I cut all that wood up and stacked it it came out to just under four cords of fresh cut red oak and the weight would have been close to 8,000 lb.s plus! Never bust on old beat up trucks, they have earned their scars!!! That truck was still running great until I gave it to my son in law who decided he HAD to lift it and four wheel it to death which did not take long. Sad, that truck singlehandedly moved my entire house and fed it with firewood for four years and never once let me down. Well, One rotted out brake line which I fixed that day, That was not a let down but poor maintenance.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 23rd, 2019, 1:17 am

Happy to report that, after the big upheaval around here with the addition of the GTB to the stable, most of the odds and ends are finally finding new places to settle into. The 42GPW is now mostly put to bed and I'll soon be changing gears around here and getting back into the half track project.

Strange how some things go with these vehicles....front tires on the track have been holding air nicely for years. Now, with one small move, one tire has gone flat. Happily, new tires and tubes and flaps are about ready to be put on. Meanwhile, I have made my usual opening gambit with MM oil sitting on the tops of the pistons. Purely a matter of prevention mind you but it's something I like to do before starting an engine that hasn't run for years.

Cheers,
TJ

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 25th, 2019, 12:17 pm

More good news this morning when we turned over the half track motor for the first time in...uhhh...11-12 YEARS! Stuck valves on number 2 and number 6 cylinders. Flatheads are notorious for this. So, I redosed the cylinders, turned her over again so as to splash some MM oil up onto those valves and we'll let her sit some more. Why 'Good News' you ask? Well, friends, we're not happy around here unless there is some kind of mechanical mayhem afoot and 4 cylinders out of 6 ain't bad. After cutting some 2x4s to make prop rods for those heavy hoods I'm pressing ahead in the starting phase which involves getting the tank drained and a clean, albeit temporary, fuel source installed with new lines. Once the engine is running and comes up to temp, I'm pretty sure those valves will unstick themselves...and every mosquito in the area will head for the hills. The White engine has hydraulic lifters so I think we'll see some action on them without having to dive in too deeply.

Cheers,
TJ