Beverly Hillbillies

Vehicles and items that do not fall into the general M151 categories

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Re: Beverly Hillbillies

Unread post by m3a1 » January 17th, 2021, 1:34 pm

Seems a shame to post only one find but this is all I got...
IMG_4584.jpeg
Love the "NO CREDIT" on the cab. Yer dang tootin'!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » January 17th, 2021, 2:50 pm

And all the hubcaps perfectly lined up and level.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » January 17th, 2021, 5:31 pm

Awww....that's just happenstance.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » January 18th, 2021, 5:32 pm

Well, so far I'm having a bit of luck with this golf cart *ahem*...golf CAR.

The lads at the local golf car place informed me, "We push carts... and we ride in cars." Well waddya know! I may have to install the chiller for my champaign after all! :lol: If that's what they gotta do to legitimize these things, that's okay by me.

Anyhoo... I sent my charger off to be checked out by the professionals, which seemed like an intelligent place to begin considering the backstory was the previous owner was having trouble charging it.

THAT'S A BINGO!! The result of that checkup was, ONE blown fuse and TWO diodes no longer doing whatever it is diodes do in battery chargers. (so much to learn, so little time) So, we get to add a $147 bill for charger repair to the purchase price. I found that was WAY cheaper than buying a new, correct smart charger. Probably also WAY more than replacing a fuse and soldering in two new diodes but beggars can't be choosers and I figure I'm mostly paying for correct diagnostics, with the fix thrown in.

Sadly, all this doesn't change the fact that the car's batteries are shot and will have to be replaced but I knew that going into this.

The GOOD NEWS is I seemed to have nailed the causative factor of this car's woes on the opening salvo.

So, today I plucked out all six of the dead batteries and began the laborious process of cleaning things up in the engine bay and making a short list of additional things I think will be thoughtful to replace after proof of life is achieved. These batteries are real monsters, by the way; half again as heavy as your normal battery. OOF! I don't know what's in em but whatever it is, apparently there's a LOT OF IT!

On another positive note, the battery trays are in excellent condition. Nothing to do there but neutralize any corrosives and clean clean clean.

Cheers,
TJ

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » January 22nd, 2021, 4:37 pm

Weather cleared today. Neutralized the acids in the battery bay with repeated doses of super hot water and baking soda. Repeated that until the bubbling stopped. That sorted that issue out nicely. Followed up with a hot soapy bath and a general tidy-up.

As it turns out, I may have been just a touch too boastful about those battery trays. Still, they're not completely toast and the area that could use some attention just happens to be right in the middle of the whole assembly which is the easiest to get at than the ends. What I have will do for now.

I might make a whole new beam or I might just cut out the rot and lay in a new flange and tack on some new tie-down loops. But... before fixing battery trays happens, we gotta get proof of life.
IMG_4653.jpeg
Note one of the tabs is so degraded that there is barely any metal at the top of the eye. These eyes are for the two rods that go up through a single, cleverly designed battery spacer/tie down thingy which is suitable for securing the batteries in case anyone wants to try some Dukes of Hazzard stunts.
IMG_4654.jpeg
The online shopping Gods smiled on me today and delivered a complete set of 2AWG battery jumpers which really won't make an ounce of improvement considering that the original leads to the battery pack are smaller than 2AWG but hey, ya gotta start somewhere. Bigger is mo' betta and at some point I'll replace the positive and negative leads with 2AWG.

Also delivered was my panoramic rear view mirror which is putting the cart before the horse, I know, I know. (I just couldn't resist the pun, okay? Don't judge me.)

Sometimes ya just gotta be less negative and think more positive... (Sorry. There I go again. :lol: ) ...and buy a trinket or two that has nothing to do with the job at hand.

And wait till you see the batteries!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by m3a1 on January 23rd, 2021, 2:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » January 22nd, 2021, 5:44 pm

MADE IN AMERICA. Patriotic, no? Kinda reminds me of the Fourth of July.

I should have got blue cables! :oops:

And after all this heavy lifting my back is gonna be making some fireworks of its own, tonight!
IMG_4655.jpeg
And this....THIS reminds me of some kind of weird Andy Warhol painting.
IMG_4656.jpeg
Doing my layout to make sure everything is where it should be, facing the right direction and connected to the right lug. I'm playing with 36 volts here.

Next, a thunder run for new hardware. Don't tell the Red Coats I'm a-comin'!

(Actual photo of George Washington & Company crossing the Delaware for hardware)
download-2.jpg
Cheers,
TJ
Last edited by m3a1 on January 22nd, 2021, 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » January 22nd, 2021, 7:09 pm

Curious about the batteries, all I ever see in carts is Trojans. No, Not that kind, not enough room unless you are a teenager. :twisted: :roll: Can you give me the specs and prices? I might be interested in a couple for the RV.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » January 22nd, 2021, 9:39 pm

Something like $785 TT&L for all six with core exchange. Trojans are the premium batteries my local cart place offered. These were the next step down and he pointed out that they not only sell the brand....they also equip their carts that are for sale with them. Now, that may only be because the US Battery meets their price point but the local cart place is part of a very big outfit with a reputation to protect. That's good enough for me.

General consensus on the cart forums is one should NEVER buy cart batteries at Sams Wholesale Club as it's a crapshoot. That's about all I know about that. If you look at the label on the top photo, in the margin is all the contact info for the company including phone number.
Last edited by m3a1 on January 24th, 2021, 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » January 24th, 2021, 2:02 am

Strange day, today. Weather - all over the place. Strange necessities, strange accomplishments, strange participations, strange solutions, strange problems, strange resolutions.

I brought the interesting half of a WWII jeep combat rim inside as the weather was obviously going in the toilet. I had this thing sandblasted last spring and painted it up very well in gloss black and hung it up to dry....only to find out later that I had missed a few critical areas which, of course, promptly rusted and continued rusting for, oh, I don't know...a year...maybe more. Gotta make sure that paint is really dry before you fiddle with it, right? I figure a year of drying is just 'playing it safe'. *sigh* Sometimes I am not really all that with it.. Yesterday, I treated that rust with phosphoric acid and let it sit all night long. Lucky I didn't hang it back up or it would have been there for another year. But, today, with the rain obviously on the way, I brought it in and neutralized the acid (a process which seems to be becoming something of a habit lately) and then dried it off in preparation for a color coat of OD.

This wheel is going to become a wall clock. There is no other real use for it because the inside-side is badly pitted and yet the outside looks rather nice; even has the little warning tag. Another long-term project finally moving forward. I have a nice antique-looking porcelain clock face that has PARIS written on it in a very attractive French-looking script. I'm guessing the clock face began it's life as part of some artsy-fartsy piece of junk from Hobby Lobby. Providing Americans with artsy-fartsy junk is something that Hobby Lobby truly excels at and likely as not, it was made in China. I picked it up at a rummage shop for a buck. That clock face will be centered over the hole for the wheel hub and one of those little battery-powered clocks will go in behind that. Assembled, it is meant to suggest this particular Jeep wheel spent some time in WWII Paris after liberation (which it most certainly did not). Maybe that's just a bit too clever for most folks but I think it will look just dandy anyway and maybe someone will understand the implication and appreciate the aesthetic.

With that wheel out of the rain and out of the way, I finally got to the long overdue business of refurbishing my blast cabinet which is constructed of ABS plastic. Somehow the cabinet shrunk a bit so that the plexiglas viewport no longer fit in the confines of the recessed area on the top of the cabinet. The plexiglas certainly didn't get bigger. This is the first I've EVER heard of that happening in such a complex-shaped piece. Totally weird. So, I took the old plexiglas off, trimmed it to fit properly and then used it as a template to construct a new view panel (the old one was terribly frosted from a lot of blasting and was about as clear as a trying to look through bag of portland cement) but this time, instead of using plexiglas I used much more forgiving Lexan. Over the years I have become something of an expert at cracking plexiglas so Lexan is my material of choice if I have it on hand.

I was going to build a box that fit the top of the blaster; one that brought the viewport up and away from the action inside but, when faced with (a) simply cutting new plastic, or (2) cutting new plastic and fashioning a box, well, suddenly it just seemed like too much trouble to go the extra mile. Far easier to just continue scavenging free pieces of Plexi and Lexi here and there and make new panels for the view port from time to time as they become completely opaque. Because I am a notorious cheapskate (and generally just too lazy to replace the plastic in the viewport) I generally blast by feel anyway, with occasional checks to see what I have missed so, having a clear view of the action in the blast cabinet seems like an unnecessary luxury to me. However, because I am a 'good friend indeed', I'm getting it all sorted out so that my buddy can use it. He's kind of a newbie to all this and he needs to see the blasting in real time.

All of this laborious cutting of plastic meant I had to pay some much-needed attention to my old Sears band saw in order to get things cut properly so, as a happy bonus the band saw has gotten sorted out as well. That business with my ancient band saw also meant going over to my buddy's house to reclaim my combo sander in order to finish the edges of the Lexan (I'm a hot mess when it comes to cutting straight lines with a band saw and the sander was absolutely necessary to make my cut-work look less like a Salvador Dali painting). I swear, my cuts looked like maybe I had been drinking.....or having a stroke. But, with all that wavy-ness straightened out, I finished the job off by firing the edges and then mounting all the new bits on the cabinet including brand new blast cabinet gloves clamped in place. Ready for action.

It's nice to have friends who return the tools they borrow. It's nicer to have friends who make sure you have the tools you need.

About the time I wrapped that up, we all returned to living in Cloud City - 100% humidity...everything wet and this seemed to be the end of the productive day until my chum came over; his projects also stymied by the weather. What to do? What to do?

We decided to go to Home Depot to prepare ourselves for the next day of projects which is always a sensible sounding excuse to go goof off in a dry, well-lit retail establishment. He went for plywood. I joined him to have some project paint shaken up (again) and while I was waiting for that to be done, I found him a full sheet of 3/4" plywood, treated, but with some minor damage from pan-straps. It was 40% off and for his purposes, it didn't need to be pretty.

It's nice to have friends who keep an eye peeled for a bargain....and then tell you about it before you buy something else.

On the way back, we found one of his neighbors was standing outside, getting wet and looking at a very sweet (and very damp) Harley that was up in the back of an awfully tall 4x4, kinda out of reach. Curious, we stopped and chatted. He had no idea how or where to unload it and his bike's battery was dead. Now, if you are paying attention and keep track, this will be the first battery (of 5) that will be dead before I say "Cheers". We hatched a plan that involved my bringing my dove-tail gooseneck over. He would be backing his truck up to the side of it and moving the bike over to the deck of the trailer, all from the comfort of his own home.

Getting back to my house to collect my rig, we found my truck had two more dead batteries (that makes 3) requiring that it be jump-started but after that, all seemed well. My batteries aren't old and junky, but I continue to have battery drain in the old Ford, likely due to the brake controller I had installed (and I'm not happy about that....nope!) Drove the whole shebang over to his place and parked it across the end of his driveway. He backed up to the side of the trailer. The bike went over onto the trailer and from there, we attached a motorcycle ramp to the dovetail and he rode her down to the ground...no muss, no fuss. Sometimes, gravity is wonderful. The whole process was almost boring which is desirable with large, expensive motorcycles; boring, even with everything wet. A very safe and inconsequential unload from a truck with a bed a bit higher than 4' off the ground. Not too shabby.

It's nice to have a friend who has friend with a big trailer...particularly one with a dovetail....AND a motor cycle ramp.

With the weather, we lost the light pretty quickly so we stopped by my house, grabbed the extra set of keys for the Ford and we drove the rig over to the other side of town to have Chinese for dinner. I just parked in the big lot, locked her up and let her idle to bring the batteries back up. After I got out I remembered that I left my N95 mask inside the truck. Annnnnd, my key fob didn't work (2 MORE batteries, D-E-A-D). :shock: Grrrr!

Then I found out my spare key didn't work, either. WHAT TH... I turned the key over and tried it again. No joy. I tried the other door. Nope. I flipped the key and tried the other door, again. Nnnnnnnope.

:roll:

My kid, who was at home, did yeoman service and brought me two new 2032 batteries for the fob...which were the wrong size. He went back and got two more batteries of the correct 2016 variety. The key fob STILL didn't work. WHAT THE... ARGH!

Despite the fact that new batteries didn't seem to solve my problem, it's good to have a kid who will come and try bail ol' Dad out once in a while... He's a real mensch, and I'm proud of him.

Now, I have only had these keys and fobs since the very day I bought the truck. I used them on my trip across the country and back. Both sets worked equally well whether I was using the keys, or the fobs. Now, I acknowledge the fact that all batteries will die, eventually. The real trick is not to need them when they have gone dead. But KEYS? Come ON! So, with no further options left other than yet another trip across town to get my 'slim jim' (a tool I have never been proficient with despite years in law enforcement, carrying and using them) I decided to give the key one last try and it unlocked the door like nothing was ever wrong.

Phew. Okay, that was weird...but the whole day has been weird. 5 batteries dead in one day (true, one battery was not mine, but as a consequence, that dead battery did shape our plans somewhat) and 6 MORE batteries dead in the previous days if you include the golf cart.

Gremlins. That's all I can figure. It's those pesky gremlins. They must have come in with the weather.

I drove home, parked the truck at the curb, shut her down, fired her back up to satisfy myself the batteries were going to be okay and then shut her down again. I got out, closed the door behind me, took two steps and turned. Grabbed the recalcitrant key fob and blip-blip locked the doors and set the alarm like nothing had ever happened. NOW it works! :lol: Go figure.

Well, it's good to have friends and it's even better to have a kid who's a mensch. Having gremlins....not so good.

Cheers,
TJ

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » January 26th, 2021, 2:25 pm

Presto Change-o... The weather is back to normal, just like nothing ever happened.

Took all this goodness as a sign and went straight for the golf cart project.

It is ALIVE!
63330574859__235C26CF-8DD7-45E3-A9BD-B823F9DC6406.jpeg
It goes forward. It stops without complaint. It goes backward. It lights up. Battery power gauge works. And it has an OO-gaaah horn!

(I must admit, I really didn't see that one comin')

And after some minor effort on my part, it now has a nice, big panoramic mirror.

I'm finding the rather strange thing about golf carts is, there's no wind-up before the pitch... i.e. there's absolutely no noise associated with launching it. No engine rpms to be heard, no vibration...nuthin'. Strange, weird, and very cool all at the same time. All I need is a silver suit, nerd glasses and a cardboard cut-out of Elizabeth Hurley and I'll be all set.
austin.jpg

Going to jack her up and inspect the front bearings and do a lube job (it has the usual grease zerks, everywhere) and I'm betting the rear end lube has never been changed. Still, I'm calling this one a victory. A little money spent for a super clean cart...um...CAR....then provided for some of its basic needs and life is not only good....it's better.

Cheers,
TJ
Last edited by m3a1 on January 26th, 2021, 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » January 26th, 2021, 4:02 pm

Is that seat REALLY supposed to be the color and texture of moss?
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » January 26th, 2021, 6:16 pm

Them's my 'Goin' To Town' seat covers.

You like 'em, dontcha!

And, I've have you know they are 100%. No rips. No tears. No blemishes.

Best of all, they prevent the vinyl from heat-welding itself to exposed skin when the temperature is 5778 degrees Kelvin.

And we don't won't Elizabeth Hurley bursting into flames, now do we? :lol: :lol: :lol:

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » January 27th, 2021, 10:05 pm

Speaking of windshields...

New mounting clips arrived today so the old windshield got a tidy-up and hung back on the cart. Not sure if it qualifies as a one piece or a two piece windshield, though.
63347519323__5A3BF98C-F6EA-406A-A78F-EF0FDC2FD37F.jpeg
Looking legit!

I covered up the seat so that Rick could sleep at night with out having any flashbacks and so the cats wouldn't camp out on it (they dislike the sound of plastic).

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » January 30th, 2021, 11:11 am

A buddy came over last night and introduced me to the wonders of Facebook Marketplace. Why? Because suddenly he wants a M715. He's on the threshold of retirement and so, it appears he's not satisfied with performing the simple act of ridding himself of a millstone around his neck but would rather exchange one millstone for another. But an M715? Gawd! :roll:

Now, before we continue, let me state this plainly. I am not so deeply entrenched here at Casa de Rustoleum that I have never heard of Facebook Marketplace. Quite the contrary. But Facebook and other *ahem* 'organizations' like Facebook are, IMHO, a bit like dealing with The Devil...or, if you don't believe in The Devil, then I will be a bit more pragmatic. It's a bit like borrowing from the Mob. Once they get their hooks into you...it's tough to get them out and you always, always, ALWAYS end up paying until blood squirts out of your eyes. The major difference is, Facebook helps you grin like a loony while you're hemorrhaging.

And my Brothers, I will be the first to admit when it comes to looking at other people's crap...especially crap that is for sale.... I am undeniably, and unapologetically...

a Peeping Tim.

The voyeuristic content of Facebook Marketplace just fascinates me. It's almost pornographic in its nature and it never ceases to amaze me the kind of 'treasures' other people have stashed away, only to pull them out just before Tax Time with some vague hope that they can round up a few bucks at the last second to remain in Uncle Sam's good graces.

In order to look at this little 'treasure' he was lusting after, I pulled up Facebook Marketplace on my laptop and, coffee cups in hand, we crowded around the kitchen table (I call it The Command Post) and started to search.

There was an endless array of sellers with interesting project cars. Many had buy-it-now prices and the common theme for those appeared to be the lack of a title but the sellers always include a cheery promise of 'A Bill of Sale' (which rings about as true as a claim that margarine is just as good as butter) and vague assurances that getting a clear title is an easy and inexpensive process. Yeeeeahhhhh, right....and I'm Eleanor Roosevelt!

There's that ol' Devil again.

Along with the pictures, it was also satisfying to read the some seller's details. I particularly like the sellers with a rebellious spirit. They, who against convention, gleefully bat out run-on sentences without capitalization, punctuation, indentation or any of the other 'ations which, when employed, might possibly offer up a structured use of words that convey thoughts in some meaningful way.

Banjos? Why am I hearing banjos? Weird, huh?

Now, if you find an ad having the aforementioned details -AND- only two grainy photos of the vehicle (one containing part of a thumb or finger and another with a goat standing on the hood and two more goats lounging on the roof) -AND- a seller's absolute, rock-solid admonishment that Low Ball Offers WILL NOT be accepted (while offering no cogent reason why anyone to make an offer in the first place)...well, you know you have a real winner of a deal right in front of you.

But I digress...

After a brief search, I found the M715 he was lusting after...It once was a proud military vehicle...and it once was green; now resplendent in an aging coat of what was formerly Fire Engine Red (now kind of pinkish) and powder blue for the interior.. :shock:

After vomiting up in my mouth a little bit and rinsing out with a shot of George Dickel (bottled in bond, no less!) I sat back down and again, we searched... and searched... and we searched some more until the searching began its inevitable turn to bucket list items such as, Wurlitzer Juke Boxes (the kind wit da bubbles), custom golf carts (because, who doesn't like those?), and my all time favorite - Hudson Terraplanes (I NEVER should have sold that car!) Heck, I even looked for love in all the wrong places (just to test the boundaries and see what would come up).

Will someone remind me to jot that looking-for-love phrase down in my little notebook? It sounds like it could be a great lyric.

And yet, you will never find me signing up for that kind of nonsense. I've never had a Facebook page and I've never....um...'tweeted'. What Zuckerberg and his chums have done (and continue to do) should be illegal and I'd love to see them prosecuted for it. But there is an element of personal responsibility. Subjecting one's self to service to the enrichment of Zuckerberg & Co. reminds me of the movie, The Matrix. Join Facebook and it's gonna be. "Welcome to the Matrix, Coppertop". Thanks, but no thanks.

Alas, the drudgery of real life intrudes upon the wonders of the virtual world... Quite by accident last night, I came to find that I had a bit of a leak under the kitchen sink so today, after my morning Cuppa Joe, 11,000mg of Ibuprofin, 10mg of whatever steroid I can find in the cabinet and some minor effort at stretching so as to be able to perform the contortions necessary to get myself somewhere near the leak under the sink, I will begin with a trip to Home Depot to observe the gloriousity of The PLUMBING Section. I may even wander around a bit so as to allow the drugs to take their full effect before heading back home. Some folks are 'Mall Walkers'. Real men are 'Home Depot Walkers'.

Along with voting Zuckerberg as
One Of The People I Would Most Like To See Stood Up Against A Wall And Offered A Blindfold
I'd also like to see him standing there, shoulder to shoulder with
The Guy Who Thought It Would Be A Good Idea To Have a Center Door Post On The Cabinet Beneath The Kitchen Sink.

These two fellas are a fine example of what is wrong with the world today.

Cheers,
TJ

de officiis
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by de officiis » February 1st, 2021, 10:38 pm

Ah yes, the center post blocking the torsos of middle-aged men from reasonable access to the the plumbing under the sink. I know precisely what you mean... :D