Proud of my kids

This is a spot for posting those old photos of your service days, your favorite tractor, whatever...Don't be shy we all love looking at pictures! No Nekkid People though, this is a "G" rated site!

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Proud of my kids

Unread post by Hambone » December 17th, 2019, 9:46 pm

So my oldest son went to college to be a pilot while my youngest son decided on a business degree. About a month ago my youngest decided to quit his job with IBM and started flight school in Hammond La., after 15 hours of flight training his older brother was able to sign him off for his solo flight today. Never dreamed I would have both kids take to the friendly skies. :D

Surveyor
Terminal

Re: Proud of my kids

Unread post by Surveyor » December 17th, 2019, 10:10 pm

Two Razorback brothers decided to get a little flight training in Hammond at the Boudreaux & Thibodeaux Flight School. As they are coming in for a landing, Boudreaux yells at the youngest Razorback, "Pull up, pull up! We're at de end of de runway." So he pulls up and goes around for another try. As he is attempting another landing, Thibodeaux yells at him this time, "Pull up, pull up! We're at de end of de runway already." Youngest Razorback pulls back on the stick and goes around once again. As he is coming in for his third try, he comments to his older brother, "Hey, you know, these Cajuns are pretty stupid, they made this runway way too short." Impressed though, the Older Razorback says "But look at how wide they made it!" :twisted:

Great news Hambone! Congrats!
1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » December 18th, 2019, 9:00 am

You laugh, Back when I was taking lessons, and this was probably before a lot of you guys were born, I had to fly into Philly international airport! let me tell you something! Coming from dirt strips in the country I could have landed across one of those runways! The worst part was my instructor had been this route many time with new students. There is an intestate highway that runs parallel to the runway , you already know where this is going. :roll: :lol: The instructor asks, " are you lined up on the runway?" Yes sir. "You sure?" Yep. As a car come down the highway towards me!! Instructor says "Now then, lets try that again and this time lets land on the runway and not the highway". Philly was a LOT less busy back then and the tower was as used to that happening as the local instructors. That was back in the days when you would be flying along at 1500 feet and the instructor would reach over and shut the ignition off with no notice! "Your engine just died, better find a place to land pretty quick". He would always start it back up be there were times when it didn't start, never with me though. He did have me dead stick it into the airport one time. I know they are not allowed to do that stuff anymore.

Tell the boys congratulations from me and now you get to fly free. Payback time for those college degrees! :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » December 18th, 2019, 11:26 am

Thanks guys, Surveyor, I'm going to tell him to keep a birds eye view on you, we'll find out where you're keeping that MV stash, I know how you Cajuns are, tight lipped, I have some deep roots in Ponchatoula. :lol: Rick, my oldest has had 3 maydays, carb ice, electrical failure(at night) and nose gear failure, come on down sometime, we will see if you still have the feel for the wheel. :D I think my youngest(Blake) had a little jealousy of his older brother, he thinks piloting is a tator job :roll: , he's taking a fast track program at the mere cost of $60k, I told him good luck with that, ol' dad was through paying for flight instruction, been there done that. :shock:

Mark
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Mark » December 18th, 2019, 1:27 pm

I took a pilot training course, the kicker was getting the flight time hours in/the cost of using the airplane(single engine prop), the instructor said it would cost $20K, now my memory might not be accurate in the dollar amount.This was in the 70's.To considered a pilot I had to have so many flight time hours experience
mark

1968 m274A5
1960 m151
1981 m151A2
1964 m416
1971 m416

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » December 18th, 2019, 2:04 pm

I would say $10k for a single engine private pilot, then comes all the add ons, instrument rating, Instructor, multi engine rating, then come the type aircraft ratings, cost goes up quick. Then you have to pay your dues as an Instructor so you can build time, my wallet knows all about flying. :lol:
500 hrs.= low pay, struggling to get by.
1000 hrs.= good pay, move into better neighborhood.
1500 hrs.=doctors pay, move wherever you like.