Short Video Of our Mutt in the NJ Woods

This is a spot for posting those old photos of your service days, your favorite tractor, whatever...Don't be shy we all love looking at pictures! No Nekkid People though, this is a "G" rated site!

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Lou
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Short Video Of our Mutt in the NJ Woods

Unread post by Lou » February 5th, 2020, 2:08 pm

Hello Everyone,
Owned our Mutt since 2004, member of the other G page since then. Nice to see others actually drive their Mutt's in the woods!

Here is a short video of our Mutt in the NJ Pine barrens a couple days ago. https://youtu.be/SqW4QK5qA6k
Take Care,
Louie
M151A2,
KA2PFL,
MVPA 27368
Image Image

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Short Video Of our Mutt in the NJ Woods

Unread post by Hambone » February 5th, 2020, 11:09 pm

I thought I had seen a jeep like yours before, is this your jeep?

Lou
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by Lou » February 7th, 2020, 1:17 pm

Hambone wrote:
February 5th, 2020, 11:09 pm
I thought I had seen a jeep like yours before, is this your jeep?
Thanks for the photo. I always wondered if any other encore mutts were painted in that exact color. Mine needs a new paint job. In fact that is why my hood is repainted with aerovoe, did it with a rattle can. That is an unusual paint. It looks gray in the photo but with light on it is actually a metallic green. You can see it in the top photo.

Take Care,
Louie
M151A2,
KA2PFL,
MVPA 27368
Image Image

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » February 7th, 2020, 1:40 pm

I hope your engine doesn't give you as much trouble as mine, :lol: :lol: I like your Encore, I just restored a Titan which is similar to the Encore, looks like you enjoy it.

Lou
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by Lou » February 7th, 2020, 2:29 pm

Hambone wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 1:40 pm
I hope your engine doesn't give you as much trouble as mine, :lol: :lol: I like your Encore, I just restored a Titan which is similar to the Encore, looks like you enjoy it.
I never even knew Titan existed until I joined this forum. I knew about Encore and Growler. The motor has been the most reliable part of our Mutt. Carb actually went 12 years before ethanol gas f'it up. 12,000 miles of hard off road and still does great. In the beginning did a lot of deep water fording. Stopped that as I got tired of changing U joints and diff's. Just found this in my rear diff 2 weeks ago while greasing everything.

So changed the vent on the diff for the second time, was not even going through deep water puddles either! Entire family loves it and it will be passed down to my Son and Grandchildren. We have no quams about beating the hell out of it since the body is not an original mutt. In many ways the reproduction bodies are better then the original since they have a real frame welded in, not unit body construction.

I belong to the MVPA since our family loves all manner of MV's. Also belong to a local MV club. In the beginning, was told it is not a real Mutt. But those same guys build a WW2 vehicle with reproduction bodies and parts and call them real WW2 vehicles. I find that an oxymoron!

I am always honest and tell everyone what it is, a reproduction body. But under that reproduction body lives the 100% US Military Motor and drive train, and we keep all of that original!
Take Care,
Louie
M151A2,
KA2PFL,
MVPA 27368
Image Image

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » February 7th, 2020, 7:30 pm

You missed Hambones strange sense of humor on the motor thing. As in Meg in the engine bay. You will get used to us here eventually, we are a strange bunch.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » February 7th, 2020, 7:37 pm

Lou wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 2:29 pm
Hambone wrote:
I never even knew Titan existed until I joined this forum. I knew about Encore and Growler. The motor has been the most reliable part of our Mutt. Carb actually went 12 years before ethanol gas f'it up. 12,000 miles of hard off road and still does great. In the beginning did a lot of deep water fording. Stopped that as I got tired of changing U joints and diff's. Just found this in my rear diff 2 weeks ago while greasing everything.

So changed the vent on the diff for the second time, was not even going through deep water puddles either! Entire family loves it and it will be passed down to my Son and Grandchildren. We have no quams about beating the hell out of it since the body is not an original mutt. In many ways the reproduction bodies are better then the original since they have a real frame welded in, not unit body construction.

I belong to the MVPA since our family loves all manner of MV's. Also belong to a local MV club. In the beginning, was told it is not a real Mutt. But those same guys build a WW2 vehicle with reproduction bodies and parts and call them real WW2 vehicles. I find that an oxymoron!

I am always honest and tell everyone what it is, a reproduction body. But under that reproduction body lives the 100% US Military Motor and drive train, and we keep all of that original!
If you are driving on regular roads or long stretches of dirt roads that rear get real hot, 4.88 gears are spinning hard in there. When you dunk it in water it cools off real fast and creates a vacuum. It is going to pull in air, or water, from somewhere, anywhere it can. the vent will not stop water from coming in under a vacuum sand even if it does the seals will not, they are made to hold oil in or water out but not under and kind of pressure, positive or negative. That is why the military tells you to drain the rears as soon as possible after fording.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

Lou
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by Lou » February 7th, 2020, 8:25 pm

rickf wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 7:37 pm
Lou wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 2:29 pm
Hambone wrote:

If you are driving on regular roads or long stretches of dirt roads that rear get real hot, 4.88 gears are spinning hard in there. When you dunk it in water it cools off real fast and creates a vacuum. It is going to pull in air, or water, from somewhere, anywhere it can. the vent will not stop water from coming in under a vacuum sand even if it does the seals will not, they are made to hold oil in or water out but not under and kind of pressure, positive or negative. That is why the military tells you to drain the rears as soon as possible after fording.
Yea, that is what I told Meg, vacuum created by the shock of cold water. I like to learn why things fail so when I took the old vent off I was able to suck air through it so it clearly was not closing all the way. It is only suppose to let air out as the gear oil gets hot and expands so seals don't blow. I get it. The replacement valve was different then the one I took off. The body was a machined brass fitting and yes I tested it and was not able to suck air through it.

It does not take much pressure to open the valve, you can do it by blowing real hard through it. Suspect part of the reason it fails, not much spring pressure to close it. I have threatened and if this happens one more time (3 times and your out) I am going to drill a hole in the floor above the vent and put a hose on that fitting and run it up behind the rear seat. I have lost count how many times I have had water in that diff (and 2 others), and yet never had water in the front one even with water this high.

Take Care,
Louie
M151A2,
KA2PFL,
MVPA 27368
Image Image

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » February 7th, 2020, 8:32 pm

On my CJ I have both diffs, the transfer case and the transmission all vented up behind the battery box right at hood level. I had to plug the original vent in the transmission in the front pump body (automatic) and drill a new hole above the front band and put in a barbed fitting, no valve.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed