Getting ready to fight coronavirus

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

raymond
Major General
Major General

Re: Getting ready to fight coronavirus

Unread post by raymond » March 21st, 2020, 9:11 am

Not often I agree with state officials from New York :!: :!: :!: :!: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/0 ... -shutdown/
New York Deems Liquor Stores ‘Essential,’ Says They Can Stay Open During Coronavirus Shutdown
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » March 21st, 2020, 12:42 pm

Decided to forego wearing a surgical mask out in public in favor of something a little more historically accurate.

Raymond
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » March 21st, 2020, 1:37 pm

Caution - dark humor ahead. If you're not in the mood, skip this post.

I see it as my personal responsibility to be the local cheer leader and what could be better to raise everyone's spirits than an homage to Monty Python's Flying Circus? So, yesterday morning I put on my new clothes and took my wheelbarrow, my shovel and my schoolmarm bell on a long, slow walk. Ringing my bell, I called out, "Bring out your dead!" As far as I can tell, this was not well received by my neighbors. Nobody came to their door, laughed, smiled and waved. Maybe they just didn't recognize me in my plague costume. I guess I will try again in two weeks after everyone has had a chance to get caught up on old theatrical productions. Then I will go out again and see if everyone's mood has improved.

Cheers,
TJ

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » March 21st, 2020, 1:39 pm

raymond wrote:
March 21st, 2020, 9:11 am
Not often I agree with state officials from New York :!: :!: :!: :!: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

New York Deems Liquor Stores ‘Essential,’ Says They Can Stay Open During Coronavirus Shutdown
Keep Calm
&
Keep The Liquor Flowing

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » March 21st, 2020, 7:23 pm

Bucky sez, "Let's clean under and around those fingernails when we wash our hands, fellas!"

"The Dollar Store Veggie Brush is perfect for that. Get one for every sink in the house."

"And don't forget to sanitize that keyboard every once in a while! Looks like this trackpad could use a little attention right now!"

Cheers,
Bucky

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » March 22nd, 2020, 4:25 pm

First it was New York, now I have to agree with the governor of Illinois :shock: :shock: :shock:

Has HE11 frozen over :?:

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020 ... -shutdown/#
When Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker (D) issued an executive order Friday to put a statewide shutdown in place, he exempted gun and ammunition stores by labeling them “essential.”

raymond wrote:
March 21st, 2020, 9:11 am

Raymond

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » March 22nd, 2020, 5:24 pm

In NJ they closed gun stores AND ranges. The ANJRPC is already suing the governor over that one.

ANJRPC PREPARING MAJOR LAWSUIT AS
GOVERNOR MURPHY UNILATERALLY SHUTS DOWN
NJ GUN STORES, NICS SYSTEM, AND RANGES

People Need Self-Defense Rights When They are Most Vulnerable

State Government Has No Legal Authority to Suspend 2A Rights

Governor Should Have Applied “Social Distancing” Measures (as He Has Elsewhere) Instead of Shutting Down the Means by Which People Obtain and Train With Firearms

On Saturday, March 21, 2020, N.J. Governor Phil Murphy issued Executive Order 107 amidst the Coronavirus crisis, shuttering all “non-essential” businesses until further notice.

Although the Executive Order does not specifically discuss gun stores or ranges, it applies to all businesses except those specifically exempted, and gun stores and ranges are not listed as exempt (ironically, certain non-essential sellers are exempted while gun sellers aren’t). Additionally, we have received specific “clarification” from the Governor’s office that:

1. Gun stores are not deemed “essential” and are therefore ordered closed (shutting off the flow of firearms and ammunition to honest citizens, who may need them in times of emergency);
2. The National Instant Check System in NJ (NICS) for processing all firearms and ammunition transactions has been shut down completely; and
3. All ranges (indoor and outdoor, public and private) are ordered closed under a restriction on “recreational activities” (is developing proficiency to defend your life really just “recreation?”).

Thus, two major parts of the Second Amendment (means of firearms acquisition, and means of developing firearms proficiency) have been shut down completely, without an end date, by a single government official, by executive fiat. Social distancing protocols, utilized elsewhere to justify keeping certain other supposedly “essential” businesses open, are not even part of the equation when it comes to firearms, ammunition, and ranges.

While ANJRPC continues to dialogue with the Governor’s office over this dramatic and unprecedented overreach, we are not optimistic about changing it through discussion.

Accordingly, ANJRPC is proceeding with rapid development of a major lawsuit to address these unconstitutional measures and to take Governor Murphy (and others in the executive branch of government) to task for overreaching and essentially suspending Second Amendment rights, at a time of emergency when those rights may be needed most for self-protection by the most vulnerable in society.

ANJRPC is also pursuing, at the federal government level, potential proposals that will incentivize states to protect Second Amendment rights in times of emergency instead of undermining them.

Gun rights exist precisely for emergencies like the one the country is facing right now with the Coronavirus. Honest citizens must be able to defend themselves and their families from all manner of threats in this type of emergency – not be blocked from exercising their Constitutionally guaranteed rights. A health emergency may not be used as an excuse to suspend access to firearms and training for self-protection, especially when social distancing practices could have easily been applied to ranges and gun stores instead to keep them open (as they have been applied elsewhere). Failure to do so is an abuse of power, a violation of oath, a violation of the Second Amendment, and puts the public at risk. ANJRPC will spare no effort or expense to challenge this Executive Order and to hold those responsible for it fully accountable for their unconstitutional actions and overreach.

Watch for further updates coming later this week. You can support our efforts by making a donation to ANJRPC’s Litigation and Special Projects Fund by clicking here.

<click here for the online version of this alert>
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » March 22nd, 2020, 9:36 pm

Do I really have to keep hitting you over the head with this, Rick? In a word...

Texas.

In five words...

You should move to Texas.

To the matter of guns and ammo, I'd imagine some of our overseas brethren are going to be following what America does with great interest. What they have been experiencing cannot possibly just be beautiful people singing from the balconies and waving their national flag. The world is a tough place and it's a heckuva lot tougher if you're stupid and, yup, there are a LOT of stupid people out there who will be doing their level best to better their circumstances by preying upon others. In this circumstance, it is going to be a regrettable fact, with regrettable outcomes.

And in what scenario did anyone believe that government, with it's already stellar track record, was going to do anything to provide for sales of firearms and ammunition? To be entirely fair, a lot of people in positions of power are kind of blindly feeling their way through this predicament so that NJ decision does not surprise me in the least. What I am about to say next, will be half a smidge off the topic and probably hack some of you off greatly but, I think what follows reflects the reality of this situation.

Anyone who, by now, has failed to understand the significance of the 2A and has failed to demonstrate full appreciation of it by not already becoming a responsible firearm owner is, at this point, just going to have to suck it up and go old school; a Louisville Slugger, a sharp stick, a menacing look, wagging one's finger, dialing 911....whatever. At this point, they'll get no sympathy from me and if a person is really that dense, they probably cannot be trusted to use good judgement with a firearm in any case. To these people I say, tough luck. That ship has sailed without you.

Cheers,
TJ

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » March 23rd, 2020, 9:16 am

I don't think you will find any of those people here. There are some of us who due to financial reasons and just sheer lack of use got rid of cable TV and were a little behind the curve on this and failed to catch the leading edge of the wave on ammo buys. So I have nowhere near as much as much as I want.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » March 23rd, 2020, 11:05 am

Oh, I agree, but we all know a few who fit in the 'left on the dock' category.

I don't buy into the ol' "you can never have enough ammo" way of thinking. IMHO, you certainly can have enough...unless you have a crew served weapon.

At the the tactical shooting school I attend, we've had many round table discussions about what minimums and maximums are. The answer to the question, "How Much Is Too Much" always is....that depends on your situation. So most people err on the side of - Worst Case Scenario Where You're Stuck Somewhere And Making A Last Stand. Therein lies the great trap. The axiom is - If your huge stockpile of ammo is what keeps you stuck in a bad situation, then it's doing you no good whatsoever.

Which brings me to another, more serious problem. I have a close cousin who is a person who caves in at the first sign of adversity. He has been that way his whole life and he's pushing 70 now so he's older than me but in his way of doing things, is far less sophisticated than most people his age. So he hasn't been toeing the line on the matter of limiting his comings and goings lately and his buddies are the same. So, I'm concerned for him and quite frankly, I can't help him if he's not willing to help himself. So I'm dealing with the expectation that at some point this bug is going to get him which makes me rather sad. He and I are going to have a long chat today to see if I can't convince him to change things up a bit.

And there's the matter of my wife getting infected while caring for others and how best to deal with that. Sheer weight of numbers suggests it is inevitable...and we live in a very small house which means if she gets it, me and the kid and the critters all have to figure out our next move because the hospital has made absolutely no provisions for providing quarantine for their infected employees. (and you thought you had it bad) Me and the kid are going to be wargaming that today. It seems there's always another nail that needs to be hammered back down in in my life. :roll:

I've been transitioning from sleep to wakefulness every day with a final moment's sleepy tranquility transitioning into - Oh MAN...another day of THIS stupid sh.... Gotta work on my PMA. I gotta work on my Doom Buggy or do something else that makes me happy right down to the soles of my feet.

Cheers,
TJ

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » March 23rd, 2020, 12:35 pm

I have the same wife issue although mine is not in health care. She is behind a cash register which is probably the next worse thing and she is one of those who thinks she is invincible. Same scenario, small house and nobody else to care for her but me. With a a compromised immune system and history of lung issues.
On the ammo front, apparently NJ has blocked all ammo mail order sales from entering the state. This is totally illegal and they know it but this is their chance to stop tons of ammo and by the time the lawyers can stop them the price, and availability, will be out of sight. That is a win for them. HOPEFULLY it will be a damn wake up call for the 100,000 gun owners in this state come election time!!!!!
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

199th mp
Major
Major

Unread post by 199th mp » March 23rd, 2020, 12:49 pm

california not only did that, but made it illegal to drive to any other state, and bring ammo back with you. i live in washington now, with a governor who tries to copy everything calif does, so who knows how that will work out in the end. i don't own a single rifle or shotgun, since my shoulder surgeries prevented me from using them, so i sold them some years ago. i would like to see the expressions on people, as they try to buy their first firearm, and learn it's nowhere near as easy as they have claimed.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » March 26th, 2020, 10:22 pm

Watching some crime stats (and others) climb here and the crime is primarily person against person at this point. Some fool Border Patrol officer drove all the way up to San Antonio to (apparently) visit his lady friend. Unfortunately, his wife followed him...with his service weapon. She gave him 'a divorce' and she has been arrested. He's on a slab. People are getting tired of being cooped up, no doubt about it.

Meanwhile, it's tough to commit a burglary when everyone is home but wait a few weeks.... Some folks will finally feel stupid enough to give it a try. In preparation for that day, today I constructed a reasonably heavy duty strap steel band to go around my freezer, complete with hinge, hasp, lock and a nice hammered metal finish. It looks forbidding and it says, Go Somewhere Else. Very pleased with the results.

Cheers,
TJ

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » March 27th, 2020, 9:52 am

You guys in the hot spots, stay safe, even thought it's not hit our state so bad, I still closed my business for 10 days, just trying to do my part, had a guy in the store that got tested last week and hasn't got his results yet but was out because he felt fine :shock: , he was asked to leave. Now 10 miles south of me is Louisiana, that's becoming a hot spot.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » March 27th, 2020, 10:10 am

NJ has one of the highest caseloads in the country. And the governor has let out over a thousand criminals from the jails plus he closed all the gun stores just to make sure the people are unable to protect themselves so criminals would have no issues when they band together to start robbing people. And you KNOW they will!
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed