a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Mutt Hunter
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Who Wants a Government Sanctioned and Funded Restoration Challenge

Unread post by Mutt Hunter » June 22nd, 2021, 10:08 am

Gents,

As a few of you know, i've been a defense contractor since retirement. My company performs contracts for the DoD all over the world. Anyhow, I'm subscribed to several services that make me aware of government contracts before they are competed so that i can do research to see if my company is a viable competitor.

Please see attached files. The New Hampshire National Guard has a 1973 A2 they'd like to restore for parades and for displays, and they are outsourcing the restoration. The MUTT is a rusty piece of history...with decay in some critical places...but for some of you, child's play.

I'm attaching the government's request for information with various questions that need to be answered and sent back to the contracting officer. For anybody interested in the job, i'm happy to help you to make sure your submission is compliant with their standards.

Responses from interested parties are due no later than 23 July. Again, i'm here to help if somebody wants to take a run at this challenge and make some money for your trouble.

dee
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
United States Army - 1986-2012
35th Sig Bde (Airborne)
82nd Airborne Division Artillery
B Co, Joint Communications Support Element (Airborne)
1st Infantry Division
US Special Ops Command
Commander, 3rd Joint Communications Squadron (Airborne)
US Central Command

rickf
General
General

Re: Who Wants a Government Sanctioned and Funded Restoration Challenge

Unread post by rickf » June 22nd, 2021, 1:22 pm

That is interesting but they definitely could have picked a better donor. That rotted out rear crossmember is a bad deal. I know CMD has shown one but I don't think they have any in production and I know for a fact that they were never a replacement item in service. To the contrary, if that crossmember was rotted the vehicle was ordered scrapped. Can it be repaired? Yes, anything can be repaired for enough money. I do not see where they are offering any specs, I just see where they are fishing for general cost of repair estimates. 5,000.00 right off the top for a complete engine since there is nothing there to even take off of that one to use on a long block. And another 6-8 thousand in body work between parts and labor with an overrun clause added in just in case due to todays volatile prices and any unknown extras the pictures aren't showing since this vehicle came from the rust belt. Personally I think they ought to find a better starting point, They could go out and buy a good parade vehicle for a lot less than it would cost to fix this one.

Just a quick off the top of my head assessment. To do it correctly I would have to be there in person to do the evaluation.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Mutt Hunter
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: Who Wants a Government Sanctioned and Funded Restoration Challenge

Unread post by Mutt Hunter » June 22nd, 2021, 1:58 pm

That's kinda what i was thinking, but i didn't want to dismiss it outright--especially since they are looking now to see who is capable of doing the work--and will end up either sole-sourcing the work to the best respondent without competition, or putting out for bid in a way that the contingencies you identified are addressed. I've never seen the government do this--so it was "remarkable" to me.

Bottom line, if nobody's interested, no harm--and Ken has a new registration number to log for his database.

dee
United States Army - 1986-2012
35th Sig Bde (Airborne)
82nd Airborne Division Artillery
B Co, Joint Communications Support Element (Airborne)
1st Infantry Division
US Special Ops Command
Commander, 3rd Joint Communications Squadron (Airborne)
US Central Command