old car show at Hardees

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Mark
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

old car show at Hardees

Unread post by Mark » August 11th, 2019, 5:14 am

On Saturday nite, there is a old car show, I drove the A2 to it.Guy showed up and talked quite a bit about his Army days
being a mechanic, etc just like last week.Then I walked around looking at the old, restored cars.Then I left.The jeep barely ran, with alot of sputtering, backfiring.I thought maybe bad gas, kept trying to keep it going.Finally stopped, looked at mixture screw, it was turned out alot, way too rich.Looked at the choke setting, it was set so it was on halfway on with the knob pushed in.So I corrected the settings, it ran alot better with some backfiring.So, while I was looking at the cars, someone screwed up the settings
A long time, someone ripped the wiring apart for the lights on the mule, at this car show.Always had alot of people stop, look a the mutt, tell about their experiences driving them, etc.
That's it for me bringing vehicles to this car show, no more.I'll go back to Hardee's tell someone what happened, but there will an attitude of apathy.
mark

1968 m274A5
1960 m151
1981 m151A2
1964 m416
1971 m416

acudanut

Re: old car show at Hardees

Unread post by acudanut » August 11th, 2019, 10:08 am

Assholes everywhere. I guess that is why some people bring a lawn chair and keep a eye on their ride. Maybe CCTV from Hardees can find the jerk who did this. If they won't help, call the police and file a "Criminal damage to property" report.
Remember this is my line of work. :wink:

*If you leave your car/jeep/truck unattended, make sure your hood is down and your gas lid locked.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 11th, 2019, 10:49 am

Well, that's unfortunate. Sounds as if you have a nitwit coming to your car show. We're lucky at our local show. It takes place on a closed street and there is alcohol being sold at the event. By ordinance, they're obliged to provide security which comes in the form of armed, off-duty LEOs and, bless 'em, they are constantly patrolling and they're into the old car scene. Now this "security" wouldn't dissuade anyone from doing something awful to your truck...not for a moment.

The real security comes in the form of two things - your choice of where to park (which often means having to come early) -and- taking a little time to get to know the car owners who are on either side of your ride. Point out the service you're providing them, which is to say they're at zero risk of door dings while parked next to a MUTT. :wink: If they're the type to camp out, ask them if you can bring them something to drink when you return. That little bit of time spent with your neighbors often means they'll look out for your stuff while you're away looking at other cars. One hand washes the other, just like the old days...

Car shows really are about public relations. By way of example, if I show my truck with the 50 cal up, everybody wants to lay their hands on it. I get it. It's natural to want to touch. Now, I do encourage folks to climb into the front seats and make themselves at home. Only two rules - no one touches the master switch and no one touches the gun....even for an innocent picture. If asked why, I simply say, it's a CAR show, not a GUN show and the gun is only there to help bring some of this vehicle's uses into focus.

For those who participate by asking about the MUTT and for those who climb in and behave themselves, I always have an ammo box full of handouts. Lots of little green Army men (kids love 'em), small American flags, patriotic pinwheels and red white and blue colored bracelets. I pick this stuff up here and there if the price is right (especially after the 4th of July) or at secondhand shops. Dollar stores are a good source for giveaways. So is Oriental Trading Company which is a dot com.

Hope your next car show is a better one!

Cheers,
TJ

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 11th, 2019, 12:39 pm

Sounds like someone was screwing with you, this isn't the type of thing someone would do just poking around, this was deliberate. Cameras are everywhere anymore and I would prevail of the establishment to see if they caught something and then prosecute. I don't care if t was a friend, friends like that are not true friends and are not to be trusted in the future. And if you do go to another show be sure to get a spot in the view of a camera and ask the boss of the establishment if it covers your car.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 11th, 2019, 12:59 pm

I have had stuff stolen not only out of but off of my mutt at major shows, namely Aberdeen where they stole my windshield wipers and the snubbers from the windshield and brake and clutch. I will never show my vehicle at another show again unless someone is planted there to watch it. It is sad state of affairs these days.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

Mark
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Mark » August 11th, 2019, 4:17 pm

I went back to Hardees, they said they have nothing to do with the car show, security of it, they are there to sell their product, ya well they have some say so about it as all these cars are in the parking lot of their business.Ya, they get more customers because of it.It's adios for me.Ya, I'll stand fire watch over it if I ever do it again, yes it is a sad state of affairs among many others in this country
mark

1968 m274A5
1960 m151
1981 m151A2
1964 m416
1971 m416

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 11th, 2019, 8:02 pm

Hey, IMHO Hardees isn't your friend but neither are they your enemy....and they don't owe you anything.

I would like to remind you that the guy you are looking for is out there.

Sadly, nowadays, the guard dogs are the ones who get the blame. Why? Because they are an easy target and nowadays everyone wants instant gratification. Well, cops aren't always just around the corner, security doesn't develop mad marksmanship skills with a pistol when the guy starts firing a rifle out a 6th story window and Hardees security cameras are for..... Hardees.

Surest way to find your man is to go to the next car show with your MUTT and keep an eye out. He'll be back.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 11th, 2019, 8:23 pm

I was at a convenience store the other day and something had happened in the lot and cop came in and asked the manager if he could see the tapes from the cameras looking that way. No problem, took him right back there. Generally crimes are solved anymore by private security cameras. It is a shame Hardees would not help. If you brought in the police they would probably ask for the footage and get it.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed