svramselaar wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 5:34 am
hello

i have never seen this fan for a MUTT
the fan has the same part number as the steel one 8342323
they where at Reomie
i got it for free
george
George has beat me to it ! He very kindly sent me one of these fans in a package of other parts last week. I had heard about this type of fan and someone said that it had been advertised as a "winter/arctic" fan a year or two ago.
I then checked the XM501 Hawk loader (see picture) and noted that the Hawk fan's leading edge faces inwards....so this black plastic fan isn't a Hawk part.
But....hang on a minute.... there's something wrong here !
The Hawk fan's leading edge faces inwards but the -20P TM shows the M151 fan's leading edge faces outward. The -20 likewise. So this fan must fit the Mutt? Not according to the TM -34P dated 1988. The picture in THAT TM shows the mutt's fan blade leading edge facing inwards....just like the Hawk loader.

After a search through lots of different TMs.... it appears that the final version of the -34P showing the cooling fan... is WRONG.

So if you have a copy of this 34P TM, it may be a good idea to make a note on that page. It's very unlikely that your vehicle has a fan that blows instead of sucks.... but this time, it's the TM that sucks !

Ken

Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

rickf
General
General

Re: vin

Unread post by rickf » November 11th, 2019, 11:22 am

Looking at the geometry of those blades and assuming that pic one faces out and pic two is against the water pump the that is a reverse rotation fan. Correct direction for airflow but runs counterclockwise. It would normally be seen on a serpentine belt setup.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » November 11th, 2019, 5:02 pm

Maybe for one of those chippers or fork lifts that use similar engine? I can see them wanting to reverse airflow since they are not fighting incoming air at speed.
1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

svramselaar
Major
Major

Unread post by svramselaar » November 12th, 2019, 4:44 am

hi

see the mutt fan below the blades are the same

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q ... 3292703228

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q ... 3292703228

the hawk engine sits reverse at the rear
you can see the radiator at the movie
it is a other type engine ???
the fan is a puscher (from the engine to the radiator )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7k8XoOwSE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eT_RaYluNM

george

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » November 12th, 2019, 12:12 pm

I just looked at the plastic fan again and compared it to the metal fan mounted on the engine in the picture below it and it is the correct orientation. That is what happens when I try to do this late at night! :roll: :oops: The one mounted on the engine in the photo above is wrong from what I see since that engine has a regular bell housing on it with the clutch rod. The Hawk loader used an automatic transmission. But the toothed belt drive has me wondering what this is? The Hawk loader engines I worked on also used a four blade reverse fan if I remember correctly. I think I still have pictures of them somewhere. I never saw one of these engines in a forklift so maybe that is what this was configured for?
Bottom line is that the plastic fan appears to be running in the right direction but I don't think it is going to move as much air as the metal fan. And fording with plastic fans can get you a chewed up radiator! I think this is a case of "just because it fits does not mean it belongs there". Note the slotted mounting hole for universal fit.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » November 12th, 2019, 2:19 pm

Here's a picture of the Hawk Loader from the old TM which shows the multi-bladed fan with the reverse-flow blade angle. According to the TM, the fan blows against the radiator as the power-plant has very little room in the engine bay and the Hawk doesn't have a big grille for airflow.... added to that is its relatively low speed so there's very little natural airflow to the radiator even when traveling.

When the weather here warms up (like July 2020) I may fit the plastic fan to my A2 and see what happens......I won't be fording the vehicle though. You may remember that there was a Safety-of-Use memo issued about possible breakage of one or more of the steel blades on the M151 fans. Maybe this ABS-type fan really was the potential replacement for the steel one. :D
Ken

Here's one of those SOU fans......from George's picture......
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"