Getting ready to fight coronavirus

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Re: Getting ready to fight coronavirus

Unread post by m3a1 » April 2nd, 2020, 2:42 am

Some dude tried to run a train into the Hospital ship, Mercy. A TRAIN! Oh man...just give me ten minutes alone with that guy. PLEASE! Or even five minutes. Yeah, I'm sure I can get it done in five minutes. I'll get his mind right as rain. And for a small additional fee, I'll even make it look like an accident.

In other, more serious news, since we are "getting ready to fight coronavirus"...I wondered just what the term Herd Immunity actually meant in a clinical sense.

Herd Immunity
noun: herd immunity; plural noun: herd immunities

The resistance to the spread of a contagious disease within a population that results if a sufficiently high proportion of individuals are immune to the disease, especially through vaccination. "The level of vaccination needed to achieve herd immunity varies by disease but ranges from 83 to 94 percent."

Now consider three things -
1. At this time, not one person has been identified as having natural immunity.
2. Presently, there is no vaccination.
3. The only stopgap method is taking blood from persons who have managed to get through the illness and apportioning it to 83-94% of the population....of the world. That's a LOT of blood.

We are sufficiently far into this that none of the above solutions look like they're going to be available to swoop in and save the day. We have a long haul in front of us my friends. A very long haul.

And to our friends overseas - You have not been forgotten. Here in the states, we are about to be similarly tested.

Cheers,
TJ

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » April 2nd, 2020, 8:52 am

D Pizzoferrato wrote:
April 1st, 2020, 7:43 pm
https://www.govplanet.com/covid-19
COVID-19 Updates
Needed Medical Supplies Being Provided To The Government
Items May Become Unavailable
Updated: March 22, 2020

GovPlanet is working in partnership with the DLA to identify needed medical supplies and get them in the hands of frontline workers during this unprecedented health crisis. Medical supplies deemed high priority will be removed from our auctions without notice as we expedite our efforts. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Unfortunately, some items were missed in an earlier review of thousands of items and for that we would like to apologize. Be assured GovPlanet is doing everything it can to assist in the fight against COVID-19.

PA & NV Warehouses Remain Open
Other Pick-up Locations May Have Restrictions

As the global effect of coronavirus continues to evolve, GovPlanet is firmly committed to the health and safety of our customers and employees, and serving our communities. We are closely monitoring the changing situation, and complying with public health guidance.

As of now, both warehouses in Pennsylvania and Nevada are open and available to schedule pickup. Other sites may be restricting access to their facilities or pick up locations. Please review your Item Release Form for each item and reach out to discuss scheduling availability.

We continue to actively monitor the situation and are prepared to react accordingly to help keep you safe. We want to thank you for your continued support, and encourage you to stay informed and follow advice given by your healthcare provider.
Well, Here was what I posted on the 28th and TJ put it out to his news people then. Not like they did not have plenty of time to pull the auctions. As any of us who have dealt with these auctions knows, pulled auctions are very common. I also put it out to my local news when the stuff was still up with 5 hours to go so you can be sure that Richie Bros. KNEW what was going on. They wanted those BIG dollars that were coming in. Those cases of respirators were bringing over 600.00 each last time I looked.

Like the government has nothing better to do! I was just on Gov-Planet last night and what are they auctioning off from the government? Respirators!!!!!!!!!!Hundreds of respirators that are desperately needed everywhere up for auction!! And they are bringing BIG money even with three days left. 500.00 plus for 12 respirators! I am talking ordinary 3M half face paint respirators here. I just bought a couple not long ago for 30.00 each. Richie Bros. are total scum for selling these and not just donating them.

Here they are if you want to buy them. It is strange, the prices are lower than they were last night? They were all over 500 lat night.

https://www.govplanet.com/jsp/s/auction ... tag=navbar
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » April 2nd, 2020, 10:42 am

I don't have any direct evidence of this but it seems obvious that since the same items appear on Govt Planet and Iron Planet (both Ritchie Bros)...it would be a simple matter to shuffle these materials between sites. With their disclaimer, if material disappears on one site if would be impossible to determine it was sold on the other or withdrawn from the sales platform altogether for more honorable purposes.

WHY are these masks important? Well, kiddies, simply put...we are going to need them even after the high water mark passes because until "Herd Immunity" is achieved, the disease will continue to knock down those of us it can reach and you KNOW how Americans are used to operating. We are an unusually free and open society not used to locking down. So, at the first suggestion of normalcy, a good many Americans are going to go right back to conducting their daily activities just as they had before and we'll be right back where we started.

I love my life. I'm willing to trade it for something meaningful but I hate the idea of getting bushwhacked by some moron who doesn't know up from down. So, if you have similar thoughts on the matter, maybe the best thing to do is make plans and preparations for the really long haul.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » April 3rd, 2020, 9:20 pm

Had a jarring moment of clarity today when the wife woke up feeling unwell. She comes back from work just beat right down to her socks. Hospital caregivers under her contract (who knows what the other teams are getting) are being tested regularly but they are only able to tell what her condition was the day before. Arguably, she could get infected during the shift and bring it home which creates a very small window for any kind of meaningful response by the rest of the family. They don't know enough about this thing to cover a post-it note....or so it seems.

So, in response to her feeling unwell, I closed off the air return in our bedroom so as not to pump air directly from above our bed to the rest of the house. I should have thought of that days ago. Unhappy that I overlooked it but it's off the to-do list and it shouldn't be much of a burden as the bedroom only really needs it during the hottest months. So now giving a great deal of additional thought to what else I might have missed and what has not even been thought of. Maybe closing the bedroom door and opening a window just a bit to allow the air to vent to the outside might be next on the list. The old adage, "He who defends against everything defends nothing" (attributed to Frederick the Great) keeps running through my head. So I will continue to war-game this and try to build some flexibility into my plans. I just don't want to get bushwhacked by some little oversight.

Rain the last two days has kept us housebound. Even the idea of just sitting on the porch with a good cup of coffee doesn't seem welcoming. But, parts are starting to trickle in for the Doom Buggy so there's some good stuff to look forward to. It's a great time to be a gear-head. That's for sure.

Cheers,
TJ

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by lpcoating » April 4th, 2020, 7:58 am

We had a scare at the shop on Wednesday. One of our machinists wife sent him a text saying that she had an "elevated " temperature. Of course, everyone assumed the worse. While we have a policy on our people that have symptoms, nothing was prepared for a family member with possible symptoms. We told him to stay home the next day. In the meantime, video conferencing, e-mails, phone calls, communications with the people on site, etc. Long story short, she had a sinus infection and doctor felt elevated temperature was a result. While we only have about 30% of the shop floor on site, practice social distancing, do a daily temp check / symptoms check, etc., this was a serious wake up call. We've put in a lot of safety protocols but these are unchartered waters for everyone.

Guy
M151 Body Panels - http://www.m151bodypanels.com/

'68 A1 - Under full resto

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » April 4th, 2020, 8:27 am

Guy, I thought they were threatening fines for people that violated the no work order? Or are you an exempt business? I had to go out to the vet yesterday and I was amazed at how many places are open after hearing all the doom and gloom from the governor about how NOTHING should be open but purely essential services! I somehow don't think a junkyard qualifies but hey, I guess it depends on what you consider essential.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by lpcoating » April 4th, 2020, 9:04 am

We have essential customers (documented) and therefore we are essential. However, we can only work on essential customers parts. We modified our work center reports to only list essential approved jobs. And are only staffed for that work. We have about 35 total employees at the shop. All office, sales and engineering staff are working at home. It's been a challenge but we're doing it.

Guy
M151 Body Panels - http://www.m151bodypanels.com/

'68 A1 - Under full resto

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » April 4th, 2020, 10:33 am

Yup, it's the little things that can get ya. This the perfect time for a little double tap on the fact that people can be without symptoms entirely and still be passing the disease so this is a bit like looking for an invisible enemy, in a totally dark room, while wearing a blindfold, and a bucket over your head.

Oh and don't be the Georgia Governor. Apparently, watching too much NASCAR rots yer brain...(who knew?)

Bottom line, we all have to up our game. Identify risk. Eliminate risk that can be eliminated. Mitigate risks that can be mitigated. Manage risks that cannot be mitigated. Fine tune your risk/reward paradigms. BOLO for Darwin Award winners who are too unconcerned and too cavalier. BOLO for people who are going to crack under the strain of this.

And now, something more positive but still on the topic of facing the dread Covid-19 -

If you applaud and admire folks on the "home front' who waded through the uncertain times of WWII, give yourself a pat on the back for being able to recognize what is important. Give yourself a pat on the back because you have just joined (however reluctantly) the ranks of people who are and will be regarded as part of a Greatest Generation.

If you are an avid historian you know that folks in WWII did not always stand shoulder to shoulder in unity as some history books would have you believe. There was unhappiness, bickering, political tomfoolery (and some patently dirty political tricks), plenty of frowns and yes, even quite a bit of morally questionable monkey business. We are humans and we often behave (and behaved) illogically, unpredictably and selfishly That said, in our troubled times, when you see some things that leave you shaking your head an wondering how we beat the odds and managed to raise ourselves to the pinnacle of the food chain, realize that what you are seeing now is really nothing new.

Here's what YOU are facing that they didn't have to...some for the better....some for the worse. But before we go on, begin by giving yourself a pat on the back for facing this head on and keeping a positive attitude.

1. Your enemy is invisible and because it can be delivered to your doorstep by friend, or foe, it is doubly dangerous. Your enemy is part of the natural world, never resting...never sleeping. Your enemy takes no prisoners, respects no boundaries, obeys no rules of civility and gives no quarter. Their enemy was, for the most part, readily apparent and somewhere over the horizon. Their enemy had limitations while your enemy has very few. Give yourself a pat on the back for doing the things (large and small) that are necessary to keep you and your family, and your friends safe.
2. You are living in an economy that is, largely, shut down. Many of us are having to struggle, just to get by. They were living in an economy that was absolutely booming and a person couldn't work enough hours in a day and they were making more money than they could find things to spend it on. Give yourself a pat on the back for keeping your wits about you and your nose above water.
3. Your children are being kept under strict lock and key. Their kinder became free range children. Give yourself a pat on the back if you are keeping your sanity while being locked up with your precious little monsters.
4. You are living in the information age. You can learn facts about nearly anything you'd care to learn about, at a rate that is nothing short of phenomenal and you can monitor what is going on nearly anywhere in the world. They were living in a time when everything was kept "hush-hush " which often lead to a great deal of uncertainty. Give yourself a pat on the back for not drowning in information, some of which is often contradictory and some of which is misleading if not patently false.
5. Though we remain a generous country, our economy has been refocused to keep what Americans need, here at home, for Americans. We are doing very well, so far. They had to live under a blanket of rationing derived from the need to supply others who required those things for the fighting. That meant everyone had to do without a great many things. Give yourself a pat on the back for not having to grow and manage a victory garden, not having to put your car up on jack stands "for the duration" and for having meat and vegetables and eggs and butter on the table regularly while still learning how to do more with less....just in case. We still have many, many blessings.
6. Our enemy cannot be reasoned with, intimidated, or compelled to capitulate. To some degree, it will be part of our lives, forever, and never wholly vanquished. Their enemy was. Give yourself a pat on the back for being stalwart and facing the "new normal" head on.
7. You are not only on the home front, you are also a true combatant. The front line is at the threshold of your home (and sometimes closer) and often literally at the very tip of your nose. The members of their general public were not combatants (they were living on the pointy end of things.) You are. So give yourself a BIG pat on the back for being on both fronts at once and doing a darned good job as a reluctant warrior. That's right...we ALL got drafted!

I could go on and on about this, all day long. Bottom line is, we must be thankful for our blessings and the opportunity for each of us to do something really meaningful for our country and our fellow citizens. If you are squaring your shoulders to fight this fight, give yourself a BIG pat on the back!

Cheers,
TJ

mike_v
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by mike_v » April 8th, 2020, 11:21 pm

Been away for two weeks while getting materials for the new house. Got a truckload of drywall and R60 blown in insulation for the attic in.

Right now, in our county (Maury) we have 29 cases of the Wuhan Virus. Governor Lee reluctantly issued a "stay at home" order. My wife is laid off from her Japanese car parts supplier, daughter also home from high school.

Was afraid of items I needed would not be available, so went shopping at Lowes and ordered a lot of house/shop items that I needed to include Velcro in bulk rolls and #11 X-Acto blades I was out of. Did order more canned goods from Dollar Tree and Sam's Club. I plan to build a pantry in the basement, so the food was obtained before the pantry walls are built...

Also filled up my M925 5 ton truck (after draining the fuel tank and cleaning some debris in the bottom) and 275 gal tote with off-road diesel. Took nearly two weeks for the truck to show (they were "slammed" with fuel orders). The original delivered price w/ taxes would have been $1.95/gal, but I got it for $1.77/gal when it showed up. Best fuel money spent!

I trimmed a 40' oak tree next to the old house of its branches. Tree trimmers wanted $1200 to do it, I did it with a electric pole chainsaw for $64. I used my 18" gas chainsaw to cut the trunk, but dulled the chain before it would drop. Tried to sharpen it ("no joy") and ready to send wifey to Lowes. They were closed. Damn, can't leave this tree standing all night with my front end loader next to it (I had a strap on the tree to keep it from falling into the new house). Fired up my 5 ton, aimed the left front bumper/bumper mount center sector of the tree 2" away and "rammed it". Tree leaned in the direction I wanted it to fall, but did not snap off at the base. Tightened the ratchet strap more, backed up two feet and rammed the tree again... "TIMBER" and down it went. The tree landed where I wanted it, but rolled toward the new house - stopped by the ratchet strap. I put my front end loader bucket over the trunk and shut everything down. Too dark to safely work...

So, been busy during the "partial shutdown" of this great country.

Be safe everyone.
0323201355.jpg
0405201633a.jpg
0406201539.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1974 M151A2 w/ ROPS, heater, radios and M416 trailer

1986 M925 w/w 5 ton

2x M1008 CUCVs
3x M1009 CUCVs + 1x CUCV II
1x M1010 + 1x M1031 CUCV

1990 M101A2 .75 ton trailer (Kasel)
1992 M101A3 .75 ton trailer (Kasel)
1992 M149A2 "Water Buffalo" (Aero)
1995 M105A3 1.5 ton trailer (Pribbs)
2005 M1082 LMTV 2.5 ton trailer (Stewart & Stevenson)

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » April 9th, 2020, 10:47 am

Anybody who doubts this guy is a science denier :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

https://www.wearethemighty.com/MIGHTY-S ... belltitem1
While the World Health Organization vehemently disagrees, Dr. Juergen Rissland, a lead doctor at the Institute for Virology at Saarland University Hospital in Germany, went on the record to say: drinking whiskey can protect against COVID-19.

And that is definitely one report we can all get behind.

While appearing on "The Morning Show," Dr. Rissland was asked about whether or not drinking alcohol could kill any viruses a person may have ingested. "Yes, of course, that's true," Dr. Rissland responded. "And the higher the percentage of alcohol, the better it is.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » April 13th, 2020, 1:25 pm

Well, with Easter out of the way I'm beginning to see the faint stirrings of unrest over this Covid-19 matter. The so-called media is beginning to choose up sides beyond what they had already done and a certain cross-section of our society (who desperately want someone to tell this this was all a hoax) will feel empowered by it. And when some of these folks get their stimulus checks they'll do what they always do...go out and spend it on big screen TVs, bling, drugs and alcohol but not on the things needed to sustain life. And when those pigeons come home to roost on that matter, watch out. They'll be on the prowl. So, keep your finless brown trout wired tight.

I'm just a little ray of sunshine, aren't I? Happy day-after-Easter.

Cheers,
TJ

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » April 13th, 2020, 2:01 pm

No, you are simply being realistic. You know damn well all these people are treating that money as a free ticket to ride. Then they are going to find out that unemployment is broke or is going to take a year to pay. They are going to find out that the job they planned to go back to is no longer there. They are especially going to find out that all those mortgage and car payments that they skipped on are now due and payable! And that 1200.00 was one mortgage payment, so now whaddaya gonna do?
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » April 21st, 2020, 7:02 pm

Coronavirus has brought out the best in some.
In others, it has enabled their inner STASI.
Encouraging neighbors to inform on each other does not exactly encourage good relationships with one's neighbors.
Good to see New Yorkers still know how to deal with petty tyranny :idea: :?:

https://nypost.com/2020/04/21/de-blasio ... %20buttons
De Blasio’s social distancing tip line flooded with penis photos, Hitler memes
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » April 23rd, 2020, 5:22 pm

Raymond

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » April 26th, 2020, 12:33 pm

We've been lucky here in Arkansas, here in my county, we only have 16 active, maybe the heat will slow it down, going back to work Friday.