lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: How much snow you get?

Unread post by lpcoating » February 3rd, 2021, 4:39 pm

Horst wrote:
February 3rd, 2021, 4:21 pm
Hello Guy,
I checked out the whole thread on the RV build. Did not know how these things were constructed...So in a way I'm glad that I'm building a Sprinter van into a RV.

IMG_9410.JPG
This is my first RV and exposure to the construction of them. I was surprised by how they're held together. The (2) sides are not even built the same! Nice van!

Guy
M151 Body Panels - http://www.m151bodypanels.com/

'68 A1 - Under full resto

D Pizzoferrato
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by D Pizzoferrato » February 4th, 2021, 8:16 am

IMG_0250.JPG
Here is a teaser photo of what I'm working with. 2004 IH 4300 Step Van built by Morgan Body for the New York Times. Had to be big enough to haul the PBR. I'll get some updated and interior shots this weekend. Guy, you'll have that RV stronger than factory built when your finished. Interesting that we both used the same fastening methods for framing. It seemed like I had a McMaster/Carr bracket and screw use/abuse habit for a while.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Visit our Website! www.odcloth.com for your Canvas needs

Visit our AM151A2 restoration page http://www.odcloth.com/mymutt/1979am151a2.html

Visit our PBR Restoration Site. http://www.pbr6927.com

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by lpcoating » February 4th, 2021, 8:43 am

That's impressive! I drive by a smaller box truck on my way to work and I often think that would of been a lot less work on a newer truck! However, as I said, I'm enjoying the challenge.

Guy

D Pizzoferrato
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by D Pizzoferrato » February 4th, 2021, 9:52 am

lpcoating wrote:
February 4th, 2021, 8:43 am
That's impressive! I drive by a smaller box truck on my way to work and I often think that would of been a lot less work on a newer truck! However, as I said, I'm enjoying the challenge.

Guy
The challenge is what drives us. I'm going on 2 years of owning this truck. Although purchased in Florida, it spent it's time in the NE US. I had to spend considerable time replacing underbody rear crossmembers and flooring in addition to modifying the rear for towing. After that reconstruction, the 2 side doors were relocated to the rear, replacing the overhead door that was there. All of those button head "sex bolts", seen in the side panels, were replaced due to corrosion issues, along with the right side forward exterior wall panel. I was on a first name basis with the parts guys at Morgan Body. For an MV element, Daryl Bensinger, who is a stone's throw away from Morgan Body, brought all of the crossmembers and apitong flooring to me at the Findlay meet in 2019. I spent the first year doing reconstruction and roof replacement before I even got to the living space. I did use the truck in Sept 2019 to drag the PBR to Elizabeth City NC in order to cruise with Dennis Ambruso (PBR 721) up to Hampton VA for the 458th Sea Tigers (Army PBR) reunion.

Visit our AM151A2 restoration page http://www.odcloth.com/mymutt/1979am151a2.html

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » February 4th, 2021, 1:37 pm

Dave is kind of on the route I am looking at but I want to find an older over the road truck with an apartment sleeper on it and convert that into a full RV. Remove the fifth wheel saddle since it will no longer be used and possibly remove one rear axle since I will not be needing 60,000 lbs. of weight capacity and that way you also lose two expensive tires and all the related hardware. These trucks get between 6-10 MPG depending on the engine and transmission. My RV gets 6-8. I already have a full size older class A RV plus a parts Class A to get all of the interior needs from. I just need a BIG garage!
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

D Pizzoferrato
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by D Pizzoferrato » February 4th, 2021, 1:53 pm

I'm pleased with this one Rick. I get a constant 10-11 mpg, even with the boat. My late IH 4700, with mechanical injection did between 7-8. Electronic injection mgmt gets me better speeds on long grades as well. My old truck was 2nd gear at 15 mph, 2100 rpm through the MD mountains; this one will easily hold 30 mph in 3rd gear with no strain and no worries about temp spikes due to the turned up pump on the old 4700. I considered building the 4700 as an RV. After considering the costs, and as my Class A CDL was current, I decided that I could buy a lot of hotel time for the cost of conversion for the several years that I used it. With the new rules, and as I don't CDL full time, I'm rated as Intrastate Exempt. I can claim I'm using my commercial vehicle to haul my own stuff, not for commerce, but those lines would often be blurred. As Ohio allows a commercial vehicle to be converted and retitled as an RV, all of the CDL stuff is off the table, other than hitting scales due to the PBR being an OS Load.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » February 4th, 2021, 4:40 pm

That is why I would remove the saddle on the tractor. Much easier to tag it as an RV an insure it as one if it is not capable of pulling a commercial trailer. Plus, with a full size tractor you are looking at probably a 10 or 13 speed Roadranger tranny so mileage and pulling hills is not an issue. My CDL is still current but I am debating on whether to keep it or not. I am not going to be doing any more commercial driving so it is just wasted money at renewal time. I quit drinking some time ago but for those that still do you also have to keep in mind that there are different standards for DUI with a CDL even when not driving commercially. In NJ if you are stopped and you blow a .04 you are over the limit!! I don't know about other states.

A person who holds a commercial drivers license (CDL) is held to a much higher standard as a professional driver. A CDL driver faces some of the harshest penalties and may face the loss of their career, even for a first time DWI violation. Many trucking companies simply will not hire or sub-contract out work to a truck driver who has a DWI or a refusal on his record. The risk of liability is way too much to great to risk hiring a truck driver with a history of DWI violations. Consequently, many truck drivers have been forced to find a new occupation if they have been convicted of a DWI. N.J.S.A. 39:10-13 provides that a person shall not operate a commercial motor vehicle in New Jersey with an alcohol concentration of 0.04%. It is also an offense to operate a commercial motor vehicle while under the influence of a controlled dangerous substance. The BAC level for a DWI in NJ is .08% but for a CDL driver the BAC level is .04% even if you are driving a non-commercial vehicle at the time of the stop.

A commercial truck driver must be fully aware of the very harsh penalties they may encounter if he drives under the influence in New Jersey. Even if your BAC is .04% which is extremely low, then you can still be charged with a DWI under the Federal Motor Carrier Safety act. This federal law is also applicable to anyone with a commercial drivers’ license even if he is driving his own car.

Wednesday, April 10th, 2013
by Theodore Sliwinski, Esq.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by lpcoating » March 2nd, 2021, 8:03 pm

Finished front chains on tractor tonight. I bought wheel spacers and did a half assed job of measuring the inner hub diameter. Did it by eyeball with the tire installed.
Not a good idea. Bolt pattern was good but center was undersized. Okay, no big deal. Take spacers and tire to shop, they open the bore up on a lathe. Go to put spacers on, 19mm socket OD is larger diameter than bore in spacer. Look at the hub with the first thought of opening up the bores in the spacers. Determine there's not enough material on OD of hub. Take 19mm deep well to lower garage and belt sand OD of socket until it fits bore of spacer. I don't like modifying sockets like this but my patience for the project was getting low. Put spacers on tractor. All looks good at this point. Next is installation of chains. They are slightly oversize. Remove one cross chain and cut a few links and they are on. They are a little loose but not terrible. I'll pump up the air pressure in the tires a little to tighten them up. It warmed up and we've lost some snow but it ain't over yet! I look forward to seeing how they work.
20210301_182015.jpg
20210301_185036.jpg
20210302_184126.jpg
Guy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » March 2nd, 2021, 11:59 pm

A tractor without a front loader/scoop imo is worthless. Guy, can I borrow that plow sometime lol.

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by lpcoating » March 3rd, 2021, 6:49 am

acudanut wrote:
March 2nd, 2021, 11:59 pm
A tractor without a front loader/scoop imo is worthless. Guy, can I borrow that plow sometime lol.
I have the front end loader bucket and backhoe along with box blade and stone rake. Bucket works for snow removal but the plow is much more efficient.

Guy