Re: Let's start a thread of the worst fake VIN plates

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » October 9th, 2021, 12:15 pm

Admin Note: This thread was NOT started by M3a1, I deleted the original post and all of the other posts on this thread including mine. I left this one because it has very good info that you should read if you came here looking for something. I have stopped all discussions about any kind of illegal VIN activity on this site.
Any questions, see here. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13206
If you still have questions PM me, rickf, ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&u=6

This was my bread and butter in law enforcement for a long time. By Texas law, anything manufactured with a serial number must have that serial number. It cannot be removed, altered, obliterated in any way. A person cannot possess and they certainly cannot SELL anything with the serial number removed, altered, or obliterated. My home state of Ohio had the same thing. I would be amazed if every other state in the union didn't have a similar law (and process) on the books.

Obviously, this whole serial number thing is to prevent the consequences of theft. For enforcement purposes, anything found to have the serial number (yes, this includes VIN numbers) removed, altered or obliterated is to be seized by law enforcement and the matter brought before a magistrate. In other words, the judicial branch makes the final determination of the disposition of the item and yes, there are instances where a judge will order the item returned to the person after appropriate steps have been taken to correct the situation.

Sometimes, the item (including some of the nicest, coolest, most useful stuff you have ever seen) is ordered to be destroyed.

Frankly, that's more trouble than most of us want...and replacing vehicle VINs is NOT an idea that anyone should be promoting, here, or anywhere else.

I'm not wagging my finger at anyone. My days in law enforcement are over. But, I can assure you, if you do this sort of thing, and law enforcement gets involved, there are always consequences. Sometimes it is as little as being inconvenienced (and having to pay a lawyer and impound & towing fees), or as much as losing the vehicle to the shredder. I might also add that being charged, tried, convicted and jail time; all are also a possibility.

For those of you who want to argue that a particular vehicle under these circumstances might never actually be seen by law enforcement, well, law enforcement officers are car lovers too...as much as any of us are. Yes, they go to car shows and other car events just like everyone else and if they happen to see something that stinks on ice, I can assure you that there's a very good chance they'll follow up on it with a warrant.

So, NO...you are not necessarily safe from the Long Arm of the Law....even if you were lucky enough to find an ignorant registrar (which happens pretty regularly, by the way).

If you want to be a rebel, there are better ways to do it. Choose your own path very carefully.

Cheers,
TJ
Last edited by m3a1 on October 9th, 2021, 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » October 11th, 2021, 12:19 pm

I am going to close this thread after consulting with some people I know in the law enforcement community. Talking about fake vin's is just asking for trouble. This title is sure to have already popped up on many LEO search bots that are looking for stolen vehicles and vin. I do NOT want this site to be associated with that kind of activity.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone