Factory body panel variations?

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Vzike
Sergeant Major of the "G"
Sergeant Major of the "G"

Re: Factory body panel variations?

Unread post by Vzike » January 1st, 2022, 11:32 pm

Blake told me that his father bought out the AMG stuff. Parts and tooling.

D Pizzoferrato
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by D Pizzoferrato » January 2nd, 2022, 8:20 am

I can remember conversations with Tom Murray in the 90s about just that; Red River purchased the tooling in conjunction with Reomie. There were indications that MUTT parts were to be made in the Philippines as a result. This was at the time that Reomie and Red River were introducing their reproduction Willys jeep bodies under the Genmarc brand. The Genmarc stuff looked really good; unfortunately it didn't remain on the market for long.
Visit our Website! www.odcloth.com for your Canvas needs

Visit our AM151A2 restoration page http://www.odcloth.com/mymutt/1979am151a2.html

Visit our PBR Restoration Site. http://www.pbr6927.com

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » January 2nd, 2022, 9:53 am

Correct me if I am wrong but the "tooling" we are talking about is the original stamping dies for the bodies and parts is it not? I don't know how many people outside of the old time auto industry or heavy metal industry have ever seen the presses used for those dies but I seriously doubt there are any in existence in this country anymore. I am sure they were all scrapped back when scrap steel prices were way up. I used to deliver truckloads of steel to a plant that did huge stampings and when those presses hit the ground shook for blocks! The manager gave me a tour and I simply could not grasp what I was looking at. This press was the size of a house, and that is no exaggeration. All of that industry went overseas years ago and that is one of the reasons why we are in trouble in this country. So even if someone like Guy had the dies, he would have to section them down even to use the monster press he has. I do not really think that is feasible. When people say they went to the Philippines I am thinking of one place, MD Juan. If he has them then he must also not have the presses or he would have been cranking out parts years ago.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » January 2nd, 2022, 12:06 pm

I'm sure that something went to MD Juan in the Philippines.
If you remember, I was asked to collect the details of number of actual and potential mutt owners by MDJ because that company had said that, depending on demand, MDJ would start making body panels. I remember just how long the promises dragged along with nothing to show for all the updates I'd given to MDJ.
As fortune usually plays an unexpected joker, MDJ suddenly announced it was producing battery box floors (Fil Bonica obtained some, I think) but right on time, Cameron Engineering declared that this company would start making body panels for mutts. As the old saying goes, you wait at the bus-stop for hours and then two buses come along when you least expect them.
Cameron Engineering actually delivered on their product, MDJ didn't get past the battery-box floors.

Ken
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » January 2nd, 2022, 12:22 pm

I have to wonder what Rommel actually has because he was asking all of the mutt owners here in the USA for donations of vehicles and or parts so he could copy them to make his own parts. I asked him what we would get in return for a donation and the answer was very, VERY vague. Kind of sounded like you would end up with losing the donation and getting nothing in return. But why would he be asking for parts if he had the dies? Other than maybe he could not find a way to use the huge tooling? I forget what part it was he was making a die for but guy was working on the same die at the same time and made it in a week. Rommel had been working on that die for months! Modern technology has its place for smaller items but if you want to stamp full size panels you need old fashioned huge muscle. I am pretty sure most of MD Juan's stuff is stamped.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » January 2nd, 2022, 6:12 pm

rickf wrote:
January 2nd, 2022, 12:22 pm
I have to wonder what Rommel actually has because he was asking all of the mutt owners here in the USA for donations of vehicles and or parts so he could copy them to make his own parts.
I wonder if our member Jay Mallari knows? I'm sure he knows Rommel but with all the travel restrictions along with Jay's wife's battle with the after-effects of covid, I don't think Jay has been able to visit the Philippines for some time.
Maybe Jay will see this and hopefully respond.....
Ken
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

svramselaar
Major
Major

Unread post by svramselaar » January 5th, 2022, 8:54 am

Hhi

Yesterday i had spoke Cornelissen from REOMIE
They had all the tooling and have sell them to MD Juan
He was all the last thing to do for the company
The yard is empty and sold the website is out the air the phone wil be endet the weekend

george

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » January 5th, 2022, 9:07 am

If he JUST sold the tooling to MD Juan that could spell implications for Guy if MD Juan starts stamping out bodies. But what I found in the past with their M38 and CJ bodies was that while they looked good no original parts would bolt onto them. That means that quality control in the stamping is just not there. I don't know if it would really be worth the time and effort to produce complete M151 bodies due to titling issues. With the older stuff you had titles that went with the frames. We all know the story on 151's and titles. If you buy a new body you are not going to be able to just simply get a title.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

svramselaar
Major
Major

Unread post by svramselaar » January 5th, 2022, 5:25 pm

hi

Rick they sold them years ago to him so he don`t know if they are stil there :(

george

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » January 5th, 2022, 10:29 pm

I am sure they are still there, just does not have the equipment to use the dies.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed