Basic starter questions

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

09FordRanger
Corporal
Corporal

Basic starter questions

Unread post by 09FordRanger » March 28th, 2022, 7:44 pm

Picked up a 66 MUTT back end of OCT. so only drove it around the block and then put it up on jack stands and drained fluids. Just started the post-winter get to work phase. I have a couple of newbie questions.
My basic plan is pretty simple. Putting new tires all around, change all fluids, regrease, tune, drive. I'm sure I will have more than a few questions on several of those tasks but so far, I think I've got it.

Here's my main question. My MUTT lacks any BII or spare parts. I need to gather everything I want to carry when I drive around (I plan on it being my daily driver). Looking for suggestions on what I should carry in parts for those inevitable 'broke down-side of the road' moments. Suggestions? Fan belts? Jugs of water, etc. (I did have a tranny blow out on me back in 1979 on the Autobahn [German's were real happy with me that day] but I won't be carrying a spare tranny). Just looking to start gathering the common items that might help me get home. Also, any suggestions on where to buy any unique parts?

Next. My MUTT has a canvas top. Is there anything that I should get that I can put on canvas that will help preserve/restore it? I suspect there are generic products I can google but thought there might be something that folks have already tried and been happy with instead of me guessing.

Finally, the last item I plan to put on my MUTT are the old bumper numbers from my first MUTT. Suggestions on a source for appropriate size decals would be appreciated (good old HQ 71, 3/12 CAV, 3AD).

I know this was long winded. Sorry about that but wanted to work on all three of the above questions cause each will take me some time ordering and such. I'll try an keep it simple from now on.

Thanks all.

BTW, I suspect my MUTT sat for a long time (lots of fluid leaks). How difficult is it to change an oil pan gasket at home? I suspect I'll be tackling that sometime (but drive lots first!).

rickf
General
General

Re: Basic starter questions

Unread post by rickf » March 28th, 2022, 8:41 pm

Well, lets tackle the oil pan first since it might determine your plans going forward. The powerpak has to come out to do that. No if's ands or buts. As far as getting it out at home if you have an engine hoist and a flat solid enough surface for it to roll on the job is not really hard at all if you have any mechanical skills at all. While the engine and transmission are out it is a good time to replace all the gaskets and seals that are easy to get at now. Freeze plugs are a big item since if it pops or leaks in the vehicle in be a nightmare or worse if it is the one behind the bell housing. The engine has to come out and trans has to come off to get to that one. While the transmission is off it is a good time to check the clutch and rear main seal. If you do all of these things while the engine is out then you are done with them.
Now, spares to carry. If you have points ignition then a set of points and condenser and a screwdriver and feeler gauge to change them. Spare coils, I say plural because the only ones available now are Chinese coils and the reliability factor is low. The new style from Pete Debella are supposed to be better than the old ones but I have not heard good or bad on them yet. If you have electronic ignition I would also carry a spare module with you. Now, here is where I am a bit different from others but it means I spend less time stuck on the side of the road changing parts. I have a complete points style distributor that I put in the engine and set the points and timing and then I put a reference mark on the distributor body and block so I could reinstall it in exactly the same point. This way, fi I break down and I determine it is a spark issue I simply set the rotor at number one and line up the timing mark on the front pulley and pull out the distributor and put the other one back in, tighten it down on the reference mark and I am on the way. 10 minutes max. I can diagnose the problem later at home or camp. I still carry the coils just in case and the tools needed to do the work but this is just quicker. I run a fuel filter between the pump and carb so I always keep a couple spare filters with me. A spare spark plug and one plug wire, make sure it is the longest plug wire so it will fit any position. A quart of oil. That is the basic kit. I add to it if I am going out on the trail or a long trip but for normal running around that will do it. Keep in mind that if you are daily driving this thing that you will need to be doing weekly or at minimum monthly greasing of the axle u-joints. M-151's were not designed to be driven on the main roads to begin with and especially daily and at US road speeds.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Horst
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Horst » March 30th, 2022, 1:27 pm

I don't think it makes a lot of sense carrying spare parts with you for a daily driver. (if the 151 is a good daily driver is a different discussion). Carry a AAA card with you (or whatever the right equivalent is). In the 6.000 miles I have driven my 151 I have for sure done quite some maintenance work on the jeep but nothing left me stranded on the road.

Different discussion if you leave paved roads and need to fix the jeep no matter what...
Horst

1972 USMC M151A2 w/ROPS (ex Barstow) and M416
1962 M201 and trailer
1966 GTO,1982 E350 Skoolie, 1987 SJ413, 1987 911
Gone: 2xM35A2c, Unimog 404S, Hanomag AL28, DKW Munga

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » March 30th, 2022, 8:25 pm

Horst has a good pointreally, do you really want to be fixing it on the side of the road or would you rather call AAA or Hagerty Roadside and have it towed home. Now when this becomes an issue is when you live out in the middle of nowhere and you do not have cell service or it can take hours for a tow truck to reach you. Both of which are a real possibility out in the western states. All of my classics and antiques are covered by Hagerty insurance so I have both Hagerty and AAA for roadside service. I have very, very seldom ever used it but when you need it it is nice to have.
BUT! You have to have your cell phone for this to work!!! The one time my coil went out I did not have mine and I sat on the side of a fairly busy road for two hours and watched hundreds of cars go by. Had my hood up and flashers on, even four cops drove right by and never even stopped to see if I was ok. Finally a young man in an old Volvo station wagon with rally stickers all over it pulled over to check and let me use his phone. Us old guys do not have a phone which is attached like a body part like millennials do. I go days without even looking at mine.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » March 30th, 2022, 8:52 pm

Do your due diligence BEFORE you employ it as a daily driver. When I get one up and running, I simply drive it around town until I'm satisfied I've killed all the gremlins that have taken up residence in the truck. Doesn't always work out that way but these ARE old rigs.

I think your instincts are good on the matter of self recovery. Don't let anyone talk you out of it. Having an Oh S--t Kit on board makes sense, chiefly because you know there's a good chance you can't just bebop over to Auto Zone and get the parts you require. And, if it's specific parts you need (those that can't be found at O'Reillys) well....you'll need those whether you make repairs in a parking lot, or in your driveway. Might just as well have them early on, and on board, provided you have room for them.

Chief among your needs for self recovery -

1 - a trustworthy spare and the means to change a tire under less than perfect conditions
2 - fuel delivery repair bits which may amount to something as simple as having a new fuel filter
3 - ignition repair bits
4 - thermostat and gasket
5 - the means to charge your phone (because when you need that phone, the battery WILL ALWAYS be just about dead)
6 - anything you choose to carry that will help ward off traffic while you're roadside (getting run over is not fun)
7 - the usual, basic tools (If you're carrying a piston ring groove cleaner with you, you're probably packing too much stuff)
8 - a clean, empty container for liquids. Sometimes you'll find you need gas, sometimes you'll find you need coolant

If you want to pack light, do a lot of preventative maintenance and do it at home. That means belts, hoses and all the stuff that SHOULD be done at home (you know....like fuel pumps and flexible brake lines) but end up getting done in some parking lot.

Cheers,
TJ

svramselaar
Major
Major

Unread post by svramselaar » March 31st, 2022, 6:05 am

hi

my sellphone full battery
memberschip of the ANWB for breakdown service and transport to home

i do a lot of miles and carry parts
daily drive
a jack / wheel nut wrench /a wood block
sparkplugs and wrench
sparkplug cable
rotor/ cap /coil/capacitor / and points
feul filter ( i do not need it on LPG)
spare bulbs
electro wire terminals
self vulcanisation tape for waterhose repair
hand tools
tow rope

if i go further away i have a box with spares (if i have it with me i dont need it :D )
( to england or germany )
if you can not get the parts in yourself a garage can bud have not the parts
complete ignition with points
U joints
wheel bearings / grease / also for the m416
brake cylinders / silicone brakefluid
seals diffs and gearbox
waterpump and a tube silicone sealant
K seal (cooling sealer )
thermostat and gasket
fanbelts 3x 6216 gates
ducktape/ electrical tape
different size bolts and nuts waterhoseclamps
tiewraps different sizes
window wipers
workshop soap

my m416 trailer has his own spare tyre
at the trailer sits also a piece i made to get the trailer at a normal car balhitch
this if the MUTT can not be repaird i can take it by a rental car

george