a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Walter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Wanted -- Early Seat Adjuster

Unread post by Walter » August 14th, 2022, 3:47 pm

Good Afternoon Everyone:

At one of the spring shows I picked up one of the earlier front seats that uses the threaded rod to adjust the seat up or back. Both frame pieces were in good, solid, straight condition. They needed cleaned up and painted, but that was it. However, it was missing the seat adjusting mechanism, the threaded rod, the knob and the two hinged blocks, one threaded and one smooth bored.

I dont really want another whole seat, nor do I want to tear up an otherwise good seat, just to rob these parts off of it. Does any one out there have either the complete mechanism or a seat that is bent, damaged, or corroded beyond economical repair that could be used as as donor? I wanted to try one of the G838 boards first, as finding an original is always more desirable for a variety of reasons, especially when you consider the time and effort needed to fab something up.

At that same show I saw several examples and took a number of pictures. So I guess we could certainly make one if need be.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Walter

M37
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Wanted -- Early Seat Adjuster

Unread post by M37 » January 30th, 2023, 11:54 pm

I completely understand your desire to not cannibalize another seat, but I think it will difficult to find the parts outside of a complete seat.

I would be inclined to make it myself, using a different thread than factory. The factory thread is a long lead fast pitch thread which is hard to reproduce.

Walter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by Walter » January 31st, 2023, 2:38 pm

Good Afternoon M-37:

Many thanks for getting back to us. Right now I am still tearing down my M-151 getting ready to send it out to the sand blaster, so I have some time to poke around to see if there is a junker still out there. The spring shows are really just right around the corner! Hooray!

I agree with you that in the end, I probably will need to fab something to make it happen. While I am not 100% sure, I believe that the oddball thread on the rod is what they call an Acme thread. If it is in fact an Acme thread, I am pretty sure that Fastenall should have it. In my regular business we use a pallet board resaw to make a wedge cap. One of the bed adjusters uses that type of thread. We stripped out one of the adjusting nuts, took it down to Fastenall and they had it on the shelf. I suspect that they might have some all thread in that same Acme type as well. If it is available locally without a lot of fuss then that is probably how we will go. If they dont, you are correct, we could certainly make it out of an SAE thread.

I will keep you all posted.

Regards,

Walter

Refit1701
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Refit1701 » February 6th, 2023, 7:40 am

I dug through all my rusted crap from buying old bodies and found the assembly. I sandblasted it and you can see that the screw is toast. I measured it and it appears to be a 1/2 x 13tpi, two start or double start thread. It may be possible to make it on a lathe but these are tricky. A good machinist could make it, no doubt.

IMG_3786.jpg
IMG_3793.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-John
Dixie Division MVC/ MVPA member
1953 M37 Air Force w/o winch
1953 M37 USMC with winch!
1967 Pioneer Trailer
1962 M151 under restoration
1967 M416 trailer
1942 1.5 Chevy Ton Bomb Service Truck (sold to English collector)