Off line Help With Tittle Number

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Blondi1
civilian

Off line Help With Tittle Number

Unread post by Blondi1 » November 23rd, 2022, 7:56 pm

I don't even want to have this discussion on the site so as not to say the wrong thing. I really need help (REALLY).
The title is being held in St. Paul Minnesota to clarify ID #. They told me to look at the frame. I can't find it. I don't even know what kind of string I should be looking for. I'm not trying to pull anything here; I'm just trying to straighten out my title so I can sell the rig and trailer. Thank you for reading

Blondi

rickf
General
General

Re: Off line Help With Tittle Number

Unread post by rickf » November 23rd, 2022, 9:51 pm

With an intro like that I would not normally approve a first post but I think I know what you are going through. Just so you know, M-151's do NOT have serial numbers from the factory, never did. The only numbers they had were the numbers that were assigned by the military when the vehicles were assigned to their units. This information was stamped on the data plate on the dash. Any numbers they are referring to on the frame would be for vehicles that had serial numbers assigned to them by the factory. There are numbers on M-151's on tags in different spots but they are body build numbers, not serial numbers. They can be repeated after a number of years. They were used to track the vehicle on the assembly line and that was it. Here is a link to the different locations you may find those numbers, but be aware that it is very common that the tags are long gone.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10358

P.S. Do you have a copy of the title? It would help to know what format the original serial number that was used before is in so we know what number may have been used.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » November 23rd, 2022, 11:02 pm

The folks who are sitting at the desks at the DMV are going to give you a one-size-fits-all answer to a problem that M151s do not conform to. So, if you are looking for confidential serial numbers (such as 'frame numbers') it is pretty much assured that the numbers you DO find are NOT going to be vehicle identification number related, just as Rick stated. Once you accept that (and by the way, I'm not suggesting you shouldn't make the effort they're asking you to make) the sooner you will see results.

Law enforcement examinations of vehicles with questionable identifications have two purposes. They are not only to eliminate the consequences of theft by finding stolen vehicles whose identity has been altered or obliterated, but also to assist you in getting your troublesome vehicle a new, ironclad identity.

If you are confident that your vehicle doesn't fall into the 'theft' category you can be equally confident that once your local law enforcement vehicle examiners are as equally stumped as you are about what it's original numbers were, they will put you on the path of getting new numbers assigned. Just jump through the hoops placed in front of you, be patient and let the system work.

Also, I don't know about Minnesota or the holding of titles but it is important to consider that the title you are expecting to get might not be the title you eventually get - AND - you may have cause for civil action against the guy who sold you this vehicle (or vehicles) if he was representing it as a particular vehicle, all the while knowing its identity was fraudulent.

Cheers,
TJ

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » November 24th, 2022, 10:42 am

TJ, This is a rig and trailer he is trying to SELL. That was why I asked what format the title was in now. I am guessing it is some form of the data plate number as most of them are.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » November 24th, 2022, 11:49 am

I'm completely confused about precisely where the problem is. Why doesn't he have a title in hand?

D Pizzoferrato
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by D Pizzoferrato » November 25th, 2022, 9:31 am

As I understand this from another forum, the vehicle was sold with "Bill of Sale Only" as that met the requirement from the seller's state. As the buyer's state will not accept the Bill of Sale, the seller has graciously spent considerable time and money to go through the process in his state to have a title issued (after the sale, under the agreed upon stated sale conditions). The newly issued title was assigned (as sold to) and sent to the buyer. Then, the USPS lost the documents. As the USPS policy requires a set amount of time until they will do a real tracking search, the buyer is left only with the bill of sale, with which he is trying to obtain a title in his state. I believe that the DMV in the buyer's state is having an issue wrapping it's collective head around a non conforming VIN. That is as my understanding from other postings.
Visit our Website! www.odcloth.com for your Canvas needs

Visit our AM151A2 restoration page http://www.odcloth.com/mymutt/1979am151a2.html

Visit our PBR Restoration Site. http://www.pbr6927.com

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » November 25th, 2022, 9:58 am

He must be trying to sell it in NJ. :roll: :lol: It would be nice if he came back with a little more info after that hurried plea for help which I answered just as quickly. Thanks for the extra info Dave, That certainly does clear things up but it would still help if we knew what numbers were used for the title.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » November 25th, 2022, 12:25 pm

Sadly, this doesn't sound like a problem that we can help solve. Not at our level anyway.

HOWEVER

There are those legitimate services that take problems JUST LIKE THIS who will take one's troubles to a more lenient (and cooperative) state, get a title and afterwards, all is well, presuming that everything was truly on the up and up to begin with.

Yes, it's a dodge...but it's not a dodgy dodge.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » November 25th, 2022, 4:07 pm

I just went to Motor Vehicle today to swap the title for that VW and get tags. Ordinary title swap with no issues but not in NJ! Ten reams of paperwork and oh yea, you can't get antique tags without 4 pictures of all sides of the car and full documentation from your insurance company. I have pictures on my phone but that will not do, they need printed pictures, high quality at that. AND that notate the mileage, you are not allowed to drive over a certain number of miles on antique tags. Forget the miles but it is not a lot for sure. So, since I did not have the extra 2 reams of paperwork needed for the antique tags I had to get standard tags which are also standard price of 75.00 a year!!!
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » November 25th, 2022, 6:45 pm

rickf wrote:
November 25th, 2022, 4:07 pm
I just went to Motor Vehicle today to swap the title for that VW and get tags. Ordinary title swap with no issues but not in NJ! Ten reams of paperwork and oh yea, you can't get antique tags without 4 pictures of all sides of the car and full documentation from your insurance company. I have pictures on my phone but that will not do, they need printed pictures, high quality at that. AND that notate the mileage, you are not allowed to drive over a certain number of miles on antique tags. Forget the miles but it is not a lot for sure. So, since I did not have the extra 2 reams of paperwork needed for the antique tags I had to get standard tags which are also standard price of 75.00 a year!!!
I have two words for you...

TWO

Speedometers

Alas, I know there are other restrictions to antique tags so you might just as well go the first year and see how much you actually use it. Then, maybe you'll feel more comfortable living with the limitations of Antique registration.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » November 25th, 2022, 9:58 pm

Oh, I know all the tricks as far as that goes, as do most people that deal with antiques. Any GPS has a speedo on it.
Enough of that talk.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » November 26th, 2022, 7:52 am

I have historic plates on my M151, but I don't drive it that much.
Mo has a mileage limit, but I have never heard of anyone being audited.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » November 26th, 2022, 12:51 pm

You wouldn't believe the number of people here who are running around Texas with farm plates on their trucks. Trucks that are clearly not part of or in the furtherance of any farm business enterprise. I will tell you now, I wrote more than a few of those tickets. One was a guy who was going to the movies...in a farm registered truck. Eventually we went to court. The court said that part of any farming enterprise is a certain amount of rest and relaxation and the guy got found not guilty. I wasn't upset. There are some very broad interpretations out there. Case law is how laws are fine-tuned and it's part of jurisprudence.

I never wrote another ticket like that. Plenty of warnings, though...and I passed out tips such as, if you're going to drive your 'farm truck' around you might just want to keep a salt block or some other farm related purchase in the cab. Something still in the wrapper and... ditch the receipt. That way you'll have something to show the next officer who stops you.

A lot of these sorts of laws are on the books and officers like I was know every page of it. What is NOT on those pages is the case law that follows. The point I am getting at is, not to get overly bogged down in all the tiny little details. It's like paying taxes. Don't overtly thumb your nose at the system but use every option legally available to reduce the burden.