Which distributor would you choose as a spare?

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

whirook
Sergeant
Sergeant

Which distributor would you choose as a spare?

Unread post by whirook » December 13th, 2022, 2:15 pm

If you were getting a spare distributor would you choose the older points or the newer solid state version?
I know the solid state one is more straight forward/simpler, but may not work well with newer coils.
With original coils getting harder to find, I am beginning to think the older points one maybe the way to go.
Please let me know your thoughts!

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Re: Which distributor would you choose as a spare?

Unread post by m3a1 » December 13th, 2022, 3:44 pm

You are really asking two questions at once. Any type of fully assembled, proof tested distributor can be a good spare, just as long as it is verifiably healthy, and then, assuming that it comes with its own, proven coil.

As to the matter of which is the better flavor of ignition (points vs electronic)....this has been discussed before but I don't think there has been a formal polling on the matter of what is better so what you read below is solely my opinion.

First of all, points or electronic ignition modules are just two different ways to get sparks from the coil to the spark plugs. However, the answer always seems to be that the points style distributor is (for lack of a better term) more serviceable meaning, easier to diagnose. As you mentioned, it has recently been suggested that points are said to play better with the new manufacture coils than electronic ignition modules.

Carrying a fully assembled spare distributor is just a faster way to get back on the road.

Become familiar with points and I think anyone would dismiss the idea that the electronic ignitions are necessarily "simpler". I had no end of headaches with an electronic ignition once, with no reasonable way to test the module. EIMs are designed to be plug & play and meant to be discarded if found to be unhealthy. Plug & Play is their one, true benefit.

Conventional wisdom used to be that electronic ignitions either worked, or they did not. Well, I had one that worked only when it darn well pleased and it was mated to a USGI coil, so that blew that idea completely out of the water as far as I'm concerned.

But, as a spare....well, that changes the question a bit. A spare need only be reliable enough to get you home so, the answer becomes...Either-Or...so long as your spare has been proof tested. But, if it's to be a long-term swap...I'd say go with points style ignition.

Cheers,
TJ

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » December 13th, 2022, 10:28 pm

Seems the NOS electronic ignitions will soon be like the NOS coils, not available or very expensive, we will soon be relying on the Chinese stuff.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » December 14th, 2022, 9:25 am

The Swiss controls ignitions you buy now are not the original that came with them, the newer ones are Chinese, just like the coils. My spare distributor is a fully set up points distributor, indexed for the correct timing so I can drop in in and line up the index mark and go.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

svramselaar
Major
Major

Unread post by svramselaar » December 14th, 2022, 10:11 am

hi

for a spare i use a points one
electronic ones you can only set the timing if the engine runs with a timing light
a point distributor you can get it on time with a testing light bulb type
the engine has not to run for it

for electronic take the swiss made with the big rotor arm

george
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Horst
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Horst » December 14th, 2022, 3:54 pm

my spare one is with points. Pretty much the only thing which can turn bad over time is the capacitor.
Horst

1972 USMC M151A2 w/ROPS (ex Barstow) and M416
1962 M201 and trailer
1966 GTO,1982 E350 Skoolie, 1987 SJ413, 1987 911
Gone: 2xM35A2c, Unimog 404S, Hanomag AL28, DKW Munga

whirook
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by whirook » December 15th, 2022, 3:00 pm

Thank you for confirming what I was thinking!
I have placed my order and points distributor should be on it's way shortly.