Buyer beware

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Cav Trooper
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Trials and tribulations of buying on line.

Unread post by Cav Trooper » January 2nd, 2023, 10:17 pm

Hoping this will help someone else with buyer beware cautions.
In November I was looking for a sponson plate for the Mutt. I checked all of the normal sites and could not find one. I finally googled the complete NSN and part numbers and came up with a sight called BookClub. I looked over the site and they advertised all kinds of stuff, clothing, hardware etc. and they had the exact description of the sponson plate along with the NSN and part numbers. They advertised free shipping on anything over $39.99. I bit, $40.50, it was billed through paypal and in a few days I got a notice for a Fedex tracking number. The day Fedex sent an email with delivery confirmation, I check the door step and nothing. I thought, they couldn't have delivered since our street was being top coated blacktop and they weren't allowing any traffic when Fedex stated that they had delivered. The time was to the exact second on the notice. I waited to see if I got a notice of deferred delivery for the next day or a pickup location. Nothing, so, after another couple of days, and no part, I filed a lost package claim. Fedex started the process and told me if I didn't get the package in a few days to contact the seller. I tried email, no phone number and didn't get a response. I filed a dispute with paypal and in a week they notified me that the seller had confirmed delivery with Fedex the case was denied. I called customer service and got no where but found out the tracking number I had been give was delivered to a large company in the area. I checked with them, nothing. I called it a bad experience and started looking again on line. I found another place for the same price (dumb A__S me) I ordered and got a confirmation from UPS that the package was on the way. Got the notice it had been delivered, looked out front door, nothing. I filed a missing package claim with UPS and called customer service at the same time. I was told that the claim process takes 15 days and was asked is my name was Zacharky? I responded no and the CS person said I just had to wait. 15 days passed and I filed a claim with my CC company which is still investigating. I called USP CS again and the guy told me that it was evidently some sort of scam where a hacker attaches a local Fedex or UPS tracking number which is legit for someone else and they run with the money. I don't know how they can do that unless they are hacking into Fedex and UPS local systems to know tracking numbers vs zip codes. At this point I gave up and filed a complained the FTC. The UPS tracking I was able to trace to a family about a mile from me and I tried to contact them but I figure they think I'm some kind of scammer. UPS and Fedex could not tell me how this was happening.
Buyer beware!!!