Hardened Goo/Glue on a Vinyl Top

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

ODRotorHead
Sergeant
Sergeant

Hardened Goo/Glue on a Vinyl Top

Unread post by ODRotorHead » March 25th, 2023, 3:10 am

Not sure if this is the right board to post this question. It would be a stretch to put it in the "technical" category, so here goes . . .

I did a search and I know this topic has been discussed before. A lot of suggestions were offered, but I haven't found a post from anyone who has dealt with this problem successfully and then explained how they did it.

My MUTT came with a vinyl top covered with a hardened glue-like material with some kind of white powder (talc?) embedded in it. It's on both surfaces - inside and out, and it's all over the rear window too. I tried scrubbing it with a stiff brush and strong detergent, but that had almost no effect.

Top Center:

Outside Top Center 001A.jpg
Outside Top Center 002A.jpg

Rear Window:

Outside Rear Window 001A.jpg
Outside Rear Window 002A.jpg

Inside:

Inside Right Aft 001A.jpg

Has anyone had any luck getting this gunk off their vinyl top without ruining the top? If so, what did you use - brushes, pads, cleansers, chemicals, heating, freezing, etc.???

Thanks for your help.

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rickf
General
General

Re: Hardened Goo/Glue on a Vinyl Top

Unread post by rickf » March 25th, 2023, 8:17 am

This has come up many times. That probably is/was talc at one time. Remember, talc is a mineral ,rock, ground into powder. Once moistened or I guess even packed tight for long periods it will revert to it's natural state. I have never found anything that was non toxic to the vinyl that worked but thinking about what it is just keeping it moist would probably help. Once softened then soap and water. I just ignore mine, the top keeps me dry (kind of) and I don't have a show vehicle.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Mark
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Mark » March 25th, 2023, 11:26 am

I used CRC' QD ELECTRONIC CLEANER, now this was a long time ago, the quality/contents now is probably different so I'd test it 1st
but ricks's answer is time proven.
mark

1968 m274A5
1960 m151
1981 m151A2
1964 m416
1971 m416

Lou
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by Lou » March 25th, 2023, 12:52 pm

Pretty sure I used lacquer thinner on mine. Do not use it on the window!
Take Care,
Louie
M151A2,
KA2PFL,
MVPA 27368
Image Image

fowlercal
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by fowlercal » March 25th, 2023, 1:06 pm

I used Acetone. Then rinsed it well and coated it with 303 Protectant.

Cal

D Pizzoferrato
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by D Pizzoferrato » March 26th, 2023, 7:03 am

Let's revisit this:
Post by D Pizzoferrato » April 16th, 2022, 8:02 am

Embrace it. It doesn't get any more real than that. As TJ stated, seam sealer is involved. Seam sealer for VCP will adhere to itself, thus the liberal use of talc when folding and boxing for long term storage. The sole purpose of a top on a military vehicle is strictly utility. It's not about asthetics, it's not about pretty, and, as my wife says "it's not like playing dress up with Barbie!". It is what it is and it won't get any more Army than that.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13363&p=116968#p116968
Visit our Website! www.odcloth.com for your Canvas needs

Visit our AM151A2 restoration page http://www.odcloth.com/mymutt/1979am151a2.html

Visit our PBR Restoration Site. http://www.pbr6927.com

rupert's
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by rupert's » March 26th, 2023, 5:37 pm

My vinyl was the same the day I took it out of the box... and now it's similar.
I remember laying it on the floor and cleaning it with hot water, soap and a brush, the white came off but the clear glue stuck there.
More than 2 years have passed. Now I don't give it as much attention as the first day. The white powder came off completely but the clear glue is still there.
It seems that someone had success with Rainx, in the forum they advised me to use it but I forgot it. If you use it and it works for you, feel free to share the results.

Finally, tell you that I think it is better not to use any product that has a solvent because it can deteriorate the vinyl. Greetings and good luck.