Dog Tags - Whose???

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Dog Tags - Whose???

Unread post by muttguru » June 11th, 2012, 9:01 am

Several years ago my brother purchased an exUS army goretex parka. He only wore it a couple of times, then put it in a drawer and forgot all about it. Last week he gavve it to me and I put in in the washing machine to freshen it up. When I came to turn it inside-out to dry it, I felt something inside the lining.
After a lot of fiddling about, I discovered the concealed velcro pockets at each side of the zipper and inside was a pair of dog-tags, held together with green tape. The tags belonged to a Patrick R Dxxxxxxx and there's also a nine-digit number (presume that's his service number or soc-sec number). I'd like to get these tags back to him if possible (and presuming he's still alive). Anyone got suggestions on how to contact the guy? I don't want to post his name and details on any board.

Thanks for any help or advice.
Ken
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

rickf
General
General

Re: Dog Tags - Whose???

Unread post by rickf » June 11th, 2012, 9:34 am

The Veterans administration should be able to look up the numbers for you. I have had some less than ideal service from them so I do not have the currant numbers but do a search for United States Veterans Administration and that should get you going. They may not give you a name and address due to privacy. If you get that run around then contact the VFW of your choice and I am sure they could find the owner for you and would be glad to put you in touch. That might actually be the better way to go.

Any currant troops got any connections?

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

cstaup
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread post by cstaup » June 11th, 2012, 9:15 pm

.Any VA human resources should be able to find him. Also perhaps anybody in law enforcement, I know that it would be considered an invasion of privacy, as well as putting their job in jeopardy... forget I even said it. Try Google?
Last 2Δ Command Group NCOIC

salt6
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread post by salt6 » June 11th, 2012, 10:29 pm

muttguru wrote:Several years ago my brother purchased an exUS army goretex parka. He only wore it a couple of times, then put it in a drawer and forgot all about it. Last week he gavve it to me and I put in in the washing machine to freshen it up. When I came to turn it inside-out to dry it, I felt something inside the lining.
After a lot of fiddling about, I discovered the concealed velcro pockets at each side of the zipper and inside was a pair of dog-tags, held together with green tape. The tags belonged to a Patrick R Dxxxxxxx and there's also a nine-digit number (presume that's his service number or soc-sec number). I'd like to get these tags back to him if possible (and presuming he's still alive). Anyone got suggestions on how to contact the guy? I don't want to post his name and details on any board.

Thanks for any help or advice.
Ken

Ken,

Scince you're in England are you sure it's Army? Could be Air Force. Anyway your best bet is to send them to the embassy with a note. They should be able to return them.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

George Orwell
-------------------------------------
"I once was one of those men."

salt6

http://www.mg42.us

MUTT Vet
Sergeant Major of the "G"

Unread post by MUTT Vet » June 11th, 2012, 10:50 pm

In my current position in the Air Force I see Dog Tags left in gear that gets turned in all the time.

I have a large box full of Dog Tags that no one has claimed.

They PCS to a new base and its way more hassle to have them mailed than it is to just get a new set made at their new base. Tags are a dime a dozen.

Most people in the military have multiple sets of Dog Tags. I've got 6 myself.

I seriously doubt he's missing them.

In the Air Force there "should" be the letters "AF" right after the SSN. If it's an early year then it might not.

If you really want to try to track him down, I have access to MILPDS where I can look up an individual if he's in the system alive or dead as long as he wasn't dishonorably discharged.
Eric
***My Jeep won a war, your CJ delivers my mail***
------------------------------------
AIR FORCE (1998-Present)
The American Legion
NRA, 1999 (#: 39234404)
MVPA (#: 34922)
M151A2 super MUTT (stolen)
M151A2 regular MUTT (in works)
Harley Davidson WLA w/ sidecar
M-37 x 2

Francis Marion
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread post by Francis Marion » June 12th, 2012, 1:15 am

I agree with MUTT Vet. I have so many copies of my dog tags that I would not be concerned about receiving a lost pair back.
1968 M151A1
1967 M416

199th mp
Major
Major

Unread post by 199th mp » June 12th, 2012, 7:15 am

since i've been out forever, i don't know if this is still the practice, but my dog tags have my full name and my social security number. there's a risk of identity theft in the wrong hands. since i only have my one original set, i would be disappointed if i misplaced them.

MUTT Vet

Unread post by MUTT Vet » June 12th, 2012, 9:44 am

199th mp wrote:since i've been out forever, i don't know if this is still the practice, but my dog tags have my full name and my social security number. there's a risk of identity theft in the wrong hands. since i only have my one original set, i would be disappointed if i misplaced them.
Send me your info and I'll make you a couple more sets or if you don't want to send your info you can order gov issue tags online at: http://www.usamilitarymedals.com/
Eric
***My Jeep won a war, your CJ delivers my mail***
AIR FORCE (1998-Present)
The American Legion
NRA, 1999 (#: 39234404)
MVPA (#: 34922)
M151A2 super MUTT (stolen)
M151A2 regular MUTT (in works)
Harley Davidson WLA w/ sidecar
M-37 x 2

toptiger
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by toptiger » June 12th, 2012, 10:55 am

Why would you ever take dog tags off? Just askin.
From date of issue in 1965- to date of separation 7 years later they were never removed from my neck. Well, I forgot, I got a new pair after OCS with new serial number, but still.
In fact they still have the od duck tape on them that we were advised in VN to wrap them with so they didn't make any noise in case we actually had to walk on the ground, in indian country. Never happened.
I used to wear them from time to time when I was flying solo around the US.
I have new ones with my email address, phone, and name made up for all my travel bags and key sets.
Author M-151 MUTT, The Vietnam Jeep
Paper edition http://www.blurb.com/books/1646321
IOS ebook iBookstore: http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/id598605516
2 M151A2s, M416 trailer, M274A5 Mule,
Former Army Aviator, Bien Hoa, VN 1968-69
Mustang Gunship Platoon Commander
68th Assault Helicopter Company 'Top Tigers'
Central Florida and France

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » June 12th, 2012, 12:06 pm

I don't think they were taken off so much as they were lost. Remember that us ground pounders were not buttoned up as tight as you flyboys, and no where near like they are nowadays. Back then it was "t's" or no shirts at all most of the time. I actually remember snatching the barrel of my rifle in the chain. I remember it because the barrel came right up against my chin! Luckily it was not loaded and was at camp and not in combat or I would have blown my fool head off! Now that I think about it I wonder how many reports of suicide were actually that scenario?

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

199th mp
Major
Major

Unread post by 199th mp » June 12th, 2012, 8:23 pm

eric, thanks for the generous offer, but what makes them important to me is they are the originals from 1969. when i was in the nam, i kept them laced into my boots, one in each side. now they are in the medals box with my MP brassard, my bush hat, and a few other small odds and ends from those days. thanks again, though---it is appreciated.

Francis Marion
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread post by Francis Marion » June 13th, 2012, 11:29 am

Top,

In certain aspects of my line of work, having dog tags could be a liability. I don't care much for wearing jewelry and something around my neck tends to irritate me. Once the army swabbed me for DNA the whole concept became rather redundant. I seldom wore my dog tags and would usually attach them to a pocket flap on the few occasions I was required to have them.
1968 M151A1
1967 M416

toptiger
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by toptiger » June 14th, 2012, 9:05 am

good point

forgot about DNA ids

but you were special ops, had beards, rode mules, and all that so what about the 111bravos of todays army?

wonder how one can do that as a civilian.

Back in the 60s, we had to have our names in each boot on a white back ground, in case one got blown off.
Author M-151 MUTT, The Vietnam Jeep
Paper edition http://www.blurb.com/books/1646321
IOS ebook iBookstore: http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/id598605516
2 M151A2s, M416 trailer, M274A5 Mule,
Former Army Aviator, Bien Hoa, VN 1968-69
Mustang Gunship Platoon Commander
68th Assault Helicopter Company 'Top Tigers'
Central Florida and France

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » June 14th, 2012, 10:16 am

We were told to put them in our boots, never did. Our Sergeant told said "What Freakin' good will it do when you step on a mine and it blows both of your feet off?" Well he was on his fourth tour so his word was the gospel to us. He had a point, even if it did not blow off both feet your boots were headed elsewhere! Probably without the laces.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

Mark
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Mark » June 14th, 2012, 9:53 pm

I can remember my service number being on my dog tags which wasn't my social security number(I think the numbers had something to do with the date of enlistment/draft) then a few of years later they changed the number to your SS# , and in those days I never thought of/worried about identity (the spelling don't look right and my dictionary doesn't have it) theft.It is a mystery why I can remember numbers/things such as this but I can't remember what/where I did what with something 5 minutes ago. In fact, I can remember this one time I couldn't remember my name but as I came to, jumping rope, I did remember it.
I think these mutts help keep my mind active as there is always something to do, well, not always, but if I want to work on it, I can find something to do.I always get people coming up to me saying they like my jeep but they never want to give me $10,000 for it.LOL !
Well, you all have a good week,
mark
mark

1968 m274A5
1960 m151
1981 m151A2
1964 m416
1971 m416