Having to disclose your St or Country

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

199th mp
Major
Major

Re: Having to disclose your St or Country

Unread post by 199th mp » September 20th, 2014, 5:51 am

Rainman wrote:You're absolutely right Dan, it's not like you're asking for a location, you're DEMANDING it! I have nothing against suggesting location be noted in the profile, but demanding it, making it a rule, or not allowing someone to post without disclosing their location is crap. Perhaps you could just required a photo ID be used as our avatar.
Rainman
it's too late, rainman---i already know where you are, and as soon as i can round up my associates, george dickel and jack daniels, we're coming for you. so you better be ready, cause you know what's going to happen when we all get there. oh, and put something on the hood of the jeep, OK. we don't want to leave no marks.

SEABEE62
Fleet Admiral

Unread post by SEABEE62 » September 20th, 2014, 12:01 pm

RAINMAN.....We know where you live ....Helicopters on their way around Midnight !!! Not telling you which night....Seabee in flight ! :) Seabee
1971 M151A2 MUTT , M416 trailer
NMCB 62, Delta Co.,BU2, Gulfport, MS Home Port
VFW 3838, American Legion 63
Seabee Association of America LM , NMCB 62 Assoc.
"Performance Under Fire" US Navy Seabees '69-'72
National Assoc. of Atomic Veterans/ Amchitka
SEMO University Vet Corp Alumni
MVPA#32091

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Rainman » September 20th, 2014, 1:20 pm

Yes, let jokes abound. For many of you newer members, you may not be aware of how this merry band of brothers all began. We ran, escaped, or were booted and banned from a site that wanted to direct our conversations and demand we all stay in line and on topic. We all said we could be "self policing" so, with the foresight of Jim aka Moose53, we came here to do as we pleased without all those rules being crammed down our throats and our posts being edited or completely removed if we didn't comply with the rules. Nearly 7 years later I have spoken out against every rule and demand suggested by the moderators and members to protect those founding ideals. These include the following, requiring sale listings to include photos, prices and locations and limiting communication for those listings to forum contact only with no email or phone contacts, let's get a Chaplin and bring religion into our MV hobby, making members disclose their locations, as well as the "Restoration" forum limited to M151 and M416 restorations only. How many of you that voted for that last one would like to have seen the restoration of my 1/4 ton MRC-115 trailer for use as a Military Honors Funeral trailer? :roll:

Now on to what we all agree on...
This is a great forum for M151 owners to share and gather information.
This is a great site to make real friends interested in M151's in real life and not just in cyberspace.
It would be easier if everyone read the manuals or searched the site for answers to their own questions.
It would be easier for members to direct others to parts, vendors and shows, with a clue of a location.

Yes, there is already is a "location" line in the profile section, but as noted, the profile is not the first thing people complete when they are excited to post to a newly found site with people that share the same interests. You guys are as tired of asking "where are you at?" as I am reading "my jeep runs better with the choke pulled out a little". Bottom line is we don't RTFM anyone, and we shouldn't turn away members for not wanting to identify their location or deny their for sale listing because they don't have a digital camera, know how to use photobucket, or aren't sure what their part is worth.

Myself and others will have no problem making the request for a location more prominent in the registration process or making it a "sticky" to underline it's importance, but refusing to let someone becoming a member without location disclosure will always be crap. I might suggest if you really want to make forum rules that effect others, start your own forum.
Rainman
M151 World Land Speed Record Holder

halftracknut
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by halftracknut » September 20th, 2014, 4:58 pm

As some of you may have noticed I changed my previous post in order to draw attention to what this site is all about, the M151Jeep...Who cares where members are located. When a location is indeed needed you can usually get a reply quickly and as a bonus your post counter goes up and you may end up being a General some day...an honor most of us have missed up to this point....Personally for me the sooner the better and I expect everyone to address me as General Halftracknut :lol: :lol: ..I will not post any further on this subject because it is only creating a riff between members...
slowest mutt east of the missippi..

salt6
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread post by salt6 » September 20th, 2014, 5:11 pm

Rainman wrote:Yes, let jokes abound. For many of you newer members, you may not be aware of how this merry band of brothers all began. We ran, escaped, or were booted and banned from a site that wanted to direct our conversations and demand we all stay in line and on topic. We all said we could be "self policing" so, with the foresight of Jim aka Moose53, we came here to do as we pleased without all those rules being crammed down our throats and our posts being edited or completely removed if we didn't comply with the rules. Nearly 7 years later I have spoken out against every rule and demand suggested by the moderators and members to protect those founding ideals. These include the following, requiring sale listings to include photos, prices and locations and limiting communication for those listings to forum contact only with no email or phone contacts, let's get a Chaplin and bring religion into our MV hobby, making members disclose their locations, as well as the "Restoration" forum limited to M151 and M416 restorations only. How many of you that voted for that last one would like to have seen the restoration of my 1/4 ton MRC-115 trailer for use as a Military Honors Funeral trailer? :roll:

Now on to what we all agree on...
This is a great forum for M151 owners to share and gather information.
This is a great site to make real friends interested in M151's in real life and not just in cyberspace.
It would be easier if everyone read the manuals or searched the site for answers to their own questions.
It would be easier for members to direct others to parts, vendors and shows, with a clue of a location.

Yes, there is already is a "location" line in the profile section, but as noted, the profile is not the first thing people complete when they are excited to post to a newly found site with people that share the same interests. You guys are as tired of asking "where are you at?" as I am reading "my jeep runs better with the choke pulled out a little". Bottom line is we don't RTFM anyone, and we shouldn't turn away members for not wanting to identify their location or deny their for sale listing because they don't have a digital camera, know how to use photobucket, or aren't sure what their part is worth.

Myself and others will have no problem making the request for a location more prominent in the registration process or making it a "sticky" to underline it's importance, but refusing to let someone becoming a member without location disclosure will always be crap. I might suggest if you really want to make forum rules that effect others, start your own forum.
Rainman

So you don't believe in any rules?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

George Orwell
-------------------------------------
"I once was one of those men."

salt6

http://www.mg42.us

csmith
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by csmith » September 20th, 2014, 5:25 pm

Well this got the discussion going!

To be honest I'm not a big stickler for rules as we have too many in our lives already. I do not have a problem disclosing where I live, my personal position is it helps to find folks close by but at the end of the day after reading post to this thread I agree the most important thing is that this is a place to talk 151 with others that love those little awesome jeeps. I see it as a convenience, I get to travel quite a bit and when time permits its nice to meet and say hello to other forum members, met several of you that way. When I signed up I don't even remember thinking about disclosing where I live, I think it was a blank to fill in and I answered the question. I suspect a lot of folks just forget to answer it as opposed to intentionally not answering. I do not ever remember how the set up form is laid out...

Why don't we just as Rainman suggested "making the request for a location more prominent in the registration process or making it a "sticky" to underline it's importance".... That itself will likely take care of most new members adding their location.......
1976 M151A2 4 Color Cammo Mutt, aquired August 09
1976 or 7? M151A2 "Miss Sandy" Driver, aquired May 2010
Former owner M151A2 "Miss Saigon" Vietnam Rescue Sold Sept 09
Fond appreciation for the M151 Breed!!

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » September 20th, 2014, 9:50 pm

Well I said I would stay out of this one since I started a similar thread a while ago at the request of some members and I got the very same res ponces. And it got nasty towards the end just like this one is doing. What you all seem to forget is that not I, Mr. R or Raymond can change any of this so it is all moot point. If this is what Jim wants then this is what it is going to be. If you want no rules then you will have a Pirate 4x4 forum but about M-151's. Is that what you all want? I don't give a rats ass about the location thing one way or the other. If a location is posted I will offer specific info on parts location or member help, if it is not listed I will just say "parts are available, Check our Wiki for dealers" I do not have time to be asking everyone about location. The one exception is if it is a new member and for the very reasons listed, they probably forgot, just as I have on other forums. Now, keep it clean or it gets locked, unless that is if you do want all the rules to go away and go the Pirate route. In that case I will go away because I want no part of that. Thanks HTN for pointing out the rift, wait until all rules are eliminated and see what happens to self policing then. The self policing worked good when we were a small group, we are not a small group anymore and a lot of those original members are gone.

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

old dodge guy
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by old dodge guy » September 20th, 2014, 11:46 pm

For what it is worth, my suggestion is to strongly urge a person to give a general description of where they are, but not make it mandatory. Yes, it does make it better for us corresponding back and forth, but is it really that important? Leave it to the discretion of the member and ask where in a PM if needed. It does help to have the state in the profile. BUT......I would go no further!!!!
On most sites I WILL NOT disclose my town. This is for several reasons. 1. No one would know where Rock Port, Missouri is or ever care! My "far ....far Northwest Missouri' is more descriptive any way and does not make you look up where the heck Rock Port is anyway! 2. It is somewhat for security. I am not worried about the gov, they already know where I am. :lol: It is scammers and spammers I worry about. They are very sophisticated and I do not want to help them find me! 3. I have been around the internet since the old dial up Modulator/demodulater days....MODEM...... the old ones where you would dial the number and then put the phone handset into the machine to let it work. :shock: I have been taught all these years by computer security gurus to never EVER give out this type of information. It was a good rule then and better now.
Yep, I am a dinosaur of the internet, and hard to change this habit.
BTW, not too worried by you bunch of guys to see my home town, but would not on many other sites. :D :D
So, my opinion, leave it pretty much alone!
Still crazy after all these years.
The OD bug bit me in 1970......and I have never been the same

WC Matt
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by WC Matt » September 22nd, 2014, 5:13 pm

Put me down for agreed as well.....

Matt