I'm your Huckleberry-Longwinded post

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

salt6
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: I'm your Huckleberry-Longwinded post

Unread post by salt6 » January 17th, 2015, 2:45 am

If the military doesn't give it a name then officially it doesn't have one. M60 Patton, M1 Abrams, and the UH 1 Iroquois for example. Now what the troops call them is something else.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

George Orwell
-------------------------------------
"I once was one of those men."

salt6

http://www.mg42.us

GerryM
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by GerryM » January 17th, 2015, 10:55 am

The mechanics called them 151,s the drivers called them Jeeps. I called mine a 151 due to being in the same platoon as the mechanics.
The co,s driver called it a jeep so did the CO. A Rose by any other name is still a Rose.

Cobra5
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Cobra5 » January 20th, 2015, 7:32 pm

On the cover of a PS magazine, issue 146, dated Jan 1965 the cartoon character refers to the M-151 as a jeep. Looking through these magazines they refer to it as a 1/4 ton truck. Here's a link to a site called radionerds and they have most of these magazines loaded on their site. You can pick through and down load any of them for free. Worth a look if you have time and good internet. http://psmag.radionerds.com/index.php/Main_Page

Emmett
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by Emmett » January 21st, 2015, 8:09 pm

I guess I can toss my 2 cents in here as well In "78-'79, Patrick AFB, we had the 2nd MOB stationed there. I was an OV-10 Crew Chief.
The MOBsters were always driving around their vehicles. Of the many vheicles they had, the ones I remember most were the Deuce and a half (M-35) and the cool Jeeps (M-151). I always wanted to drive both and they wanted to play with the OV-10s.
So, as an ignorant A1C OV-10 Crew chief, we refered to them a Jeeps.....
I never got the whole MUTT thing. Probably just another "rewrite history" issue.

retiredpara
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by retiredpara » January 22nd, 2015, 10:29 am

Emmett,
I haven't thought about that plane is quite a while! I got to jump an OV-10 once. Fun! You fly along, then all of a sudden the pilot takes it straight up in the air, and you and two guys fall out the tube that you were scrunched into. Good memories!

whiterabbit
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Unread post by whiterabbit » January 22nd, 2015, 12:10 pm

I came into the Army in 86' near the end of the M151A2 service period. We had 'em in the states and in Germany and I was even assigned to a few. It was always called "the quarter ton" or the "jeep". I never heard it called a MUTT while in the service.
"It’s the unconquerable soul of man, not the nature of the weapon he uses, that insures victory." Gen. George Patton

1986-2014 Ordnance Corps RETIRED!
XVIII Airborne Corps Combat Affiliation
Go Ordnance!
1972 M151A2
1978 exMOD 109 Land Rover S3 (sold)
1942 WLA
M274 (sold) Big mistake. Sigh....

Mr. Recovery
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Mr. Recovery » January 22nd, 2015, 1:01 pm

I joined the Army in 1960, I was in Germany from 1961 till 1964, the 151 1/4 ton was issued to us "NEW" in 1961, we called them 1/4 ton's or jeep.

This photo is from our year book.

1960 M151 Run 1
1963 M151 Willys DoD 10-63 in Baltimore
1989 Alley Cat. "work in Progress"
NRA Life Member
American Legion Post 275 Fl
US Army 6 years 2nd Armored Cavalry Bindlach Germany
Colorado Army Nat. Guard 5 years
Md Air Guard 15 years active duty on C-130's

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » January 23rd, 2015, 11:03 am

Folks, it's now a week ago that I asked if anyone had evidence that the Mil used the term "MUTT". So far, the nearest was Mark, who mentioned the article in Ford Times in 1961. Unfortunately, that magazine doesn't count as a military source.

But there WAS a military-issue document that did use the term "MUTT" and that was a US Army "PS" magazine. This is usually the document that owners use to confirm that the Mil used the acronym. But is it the FULL story???? More to come soon............. :D
Ken

Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » January 23rd, 2015, 6:02 pm

Well, you know it is an older one since it is before Connie became PC. (Politically Correct for those OLD guys.)
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

retiredpara
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by retiredpara » January 23rd, 2015, 9:49 pm

Yeah. I never trusted that single page as a good source. The artist would use different font for Connie's point, then use an asian font with asian characters? It almost looks like the name of an Asian company at the bottom of the page. Does anyone have an actual hardcopy of this? And yes, I see the dudes in the background with the conical straw hats...

Ken, love ya brother, but let's see what you got. No need to wait. I spent almost 25 years in a uniform and never saw the term, and I would be one to remember it. Post it up. If it is official anything past it's development phase, I will be surprised.

Mark
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Mark » January 25th, 2015, 1:30 am

Ken; did it have anything to do with the vrc-12 series?
mark
ps I think there is a tm about it
mark

1968 m274A5
1960 m151
1981 m151A2
1964 m416
1971 m416

Doug Black
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by Doug Black » January 25th, 2015, 10:56 am

This 1963 Army training film for the VRC-12 radio family clearly states "M151 Jeep".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUh2jSvvBVM
1964 Kaiser M151
1966 Stevens M416
1967 Stevens M416

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » January 26th, 2015, 12:59 pm

But there WAS a military-issue document that did use the term "MUTT" and that was a US Army "PS" magazine. This is usually the document that owners use to confirm that the Mil used the acronym. But is it the FULL story???? More to come soon.............
Ken

Ok, so no-one has come forward with the "MUTT" evidence? Well, the short answer is.....there isn't any. Despite Ford's repeated use of the term, and still persisting with it as late as 1963, there is no evidence in any of the correspondence I've seen between Ford and the military that the term MUTT was used by the Mil. In fact, all the documents I've seen from Ford to the Mil have not used the term "MUTT", instead referring to the vehicle as "The M151 1/4-Ton Truck".

Ahhh....but what about that "PS" reference to the Mutt shown above? It doesn't count. For those of you fortunate enough to have a copy of the Japanese book "Farewell M151" by Yasuo Ohtsuka, you will know that he used an extract from "PS" magazine.....the "It's Your Baby" clip.....but he translated the words into Japanese. He also added the term "MUTT". It was Yasuo's use of that well-known commodity...."artistic license".

Here's what the REAL PS issue looked like before Mr Ohtsuka's enhancement:-

So there you have it. No evidence yet.........but the challenge is still on..... if anyone has proof of use of the term "MUTT", I'd love to see it.

Ken
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

retiredpara
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by retiredpara » January 26th, 2015, 2:40 pm

Ah Ken, You sly 'ol dog you! :wink:

The sad thing is that Dave Doyle, Steve Turchet, John Adams-Graf, all of MV magazine, and all of the 503ers will never concede this point. And they are the ones who picked up on the obscure Ford reference and then used it as military terminology.
I am sure that all of the above are great guys, love to have a single beer with them, ( I quit drinking). But Mr Doyle used the Ford piece as "Proof", when it never was. He even cites it as proof in his "book" when he refers to "controversy surrounding the name", (my paraphrase).

If you want to you call your jeep a mutt, go for it, but it is not historically accurate. Whenever I see someone use the term, I figure they are too obstinate and ornery to care about the truth, or just a newer guy into the hobby who has fallen for the propaganda. I couldn't blame the latter, but come on guys, who knows better what these were called then the men who were accountable on paper, in the supply chain, for them, drove them, maintained them, ordered parts for them using formal Army/USMC/USN/USAF systems, etc. We all saw the hand receipts, the property books, the TACOM letters, the PS magazines, the driver's licenses we were issued, etc. And we have been saying for years that MUTT was NEVER used. It is a made up, phony term!

I personally would hope that people that post here would want to be more than MV owners, but rather, students of history. Part of that is squashing the use of the term MUTT like a bug! There are many guys who accumulate things, not many who are true collectors in the sense that they know of the development, fielding, use, modifications, variations, etc. In regards to the M151 series of 1/4 ton trucks, learning about how they were issued, maintained, the publications that pertained to them, the why's behind the what's, so to speak, all make someone a knowleadgeable collector and a true ambassador of these little jeeps and the men, and some women, who used them, maintained them, etc.

And wow! How priviledged we are to have guys on this site that know these little jeeps inside and out! Ken with his in-depth knowledge and copies of the actual records, Rick with his Tier-One operator status on the mechanics of these things, as well as Fil Bonica, Mr Recovery, and others who are give great mechanical advice. The guys doing their restorations that keep posting updates like Aswayze, Vinzike, (sorry if I got the name wrong Sir), and others who fabricate and weld and do amazing things. You can go to a lot of enthusiast type web sites, and never have a group of similar experts that we do here, all for free!

Great job Ken! And now, when will you be changing your screenname to simply, "Guru", or Swami", or something?! :lol:
Last edited by retiredpara on January 26th, 2015, 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Rainman » January 26th, 2015, 2:52 pm

:D
M151 World Land Speed Record Holder