The Stolen Car I bought from a dealer !!!!

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

csmith
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

The Stolen Car I bought from a dealer !!!!

Unread post by csmith » February 26th, 2015, 1:54 pm

While this is not 151 related I thought I would share this with the forum so it will not happen to anyone else. It’s a long read but worth the time.

Back in Dec 2012 I set about replacing the Toyota 4 Runner my daughter wrecked when she was T-boned (those who have been on the forum may remember the thread about the wreck), struck at 45 mpg into the driver side door and while the car was almost folded in half she walked away without a scratch. It was a 07 Limited and I was so impressed with the way the car handled the wreck I wanted to replace with another just like it.
My search took me beyond my home market and I happened to find a 08 just like I wanted on the internet located in Raynham Mass at Mastria Subaru. Brother Fil from the G8 lives close by so he agreed to go take a look for me and give it a test drive. It checked out in Fil’s opinion so we negotiated a fair deal and bought the car.

Fast forward to November 2014 when I take the car to a local Toyota dealer to get a key fab (which we never had) and they call me to the service department to tell me the VIN is not in the Toyota system! We go out to the car to recheck and make sure they have the correct # off the dash, which they did and start looking at the VIN stickers on body panels. We noticed the VIN sticker on the passenger door is peeled up on one corner, I peel it off and behold there is another VIN under it! We find a similar situation on the front quarter panel; pull it off and same deal! So we go inside, run the VIN we find on the original stickers and it is legitimate but no longer valid as it was listed as a salvage title in 2011 and removed from the grid. Toyota cannot touch it now so I go home and call the sales manager at Mastria Subaru whom I dealt with directly on the purchase. I basically blow’s me off, denies any responsibility and tells me to call the State Police which I proceeded to do.

I call an attorney friend of mine that owns a used car dealership and we meet with the VA. State Police that inspect the car and set up a follow up meeting with someone from the National Insurance Crime Bureau. During the next meeting the NICB agent finds the VIN stamp on the frame and accesses the cars computer and confirms the second VIN we found is correct to the car, that the car was stolen in 2011, is in fact a 2006 NOT A 2008 AS SOLD, and Geico has an outstanding salvage title on the car. It was immediately impounded, gone, no longer mine!

On Dec 3rd I get my attorney to send a demand letter to Rick Mastria requesting the complete refund for the price paid for the car, transport fees, tax & titling fees, attorney fees and cost for new tires I spent about 4 months earlier. At first they did not respond to the letter within the requested time and ignored my attempts to reach Mr. Mastria directly. At this point I decided to handle this directly without my attorney to reduce any future fees, and I felt quite capable of dealing with this myself. It should be noted that Rick Mastria owns 6 major branded dealerships and is a second generation dealer and holds himself out on his website as being accessible, giving his direct phone number and email. Nothing further from the truth in my experience, he would never come to the phone or respond to my emails, instead he turned me over to his COO. In my opinion he is a coward, which I would say to his face if he were in front of me or had the balls to take my call.

They ended up turning this over to their insurance agent and then came back to me with a low ball offer which was completely unacceptable, one thing they wanted was a deduction for mileage used at .18/mile which I argued was not valid as they sold me a car a 2 years older than advertised (body style was the same in 06-08) and I actually prepaid any depreciation in overpaying for the car. I also argued for the other fees requested.
At the end of the day I settled in early Feb for the cost of the car and transportation fee, less mileage, they refused to pay tax and titling, attorneys fee, or for the tires. To get more would have required a law suit which would have taken who knows how long and lots of attorney fees. Had I lived in the Boston area and could have visited him personally I am sure I could have gotten more. Every dealer I spoke to in my market about this told me they would have given me all my money back if it happened to them.

Lesson learned. Just so you know I saw a car-fax which was clean and the car titled in VA when I titled it, as it had in Mass and PA after it had been put back on the market as a clean car. The counterfeit VIN had been plugged into the national main database for VIN’s. The NICB agent said it looked like the work of a very large car theft ring working the NY area in 2010-2011 that was busted up by the Feds.

The only way I could have known or found out was to have bought the car from a Toyota dealer, or taken the VIN to a Toyota dealer to run, who would have been able to access Toyota’s database and verify the VIN. I ended up losing a few thousand dollars but thankfully I bought from a Dealership and not an individual or fly by night used car dealer, then I would have been out the lot.
So if you ever buy a car from a dealer not the brand of the car itself, have a branded dealer run the VIN, it’s the only way to know as dealers cannot access others brands databases.

I am not finished with him yet, while I agreed to the settlement as final monetarily he failed to gag me so I will spread this story wherever I can. There is also a local Big 3 National TV affiliate in his market that is interested in the story which I am going to pursue. Bad work spreads quickly and if I can stop the sale of a few cars to his dealership it more than makes up for my loss.

Pass Door Vin Sticker

Driver Front Qt Panel Vin Sticker

Impound, bye-bye!
1976 M151A2 4 Color Cammo Mutt, aquired August 09
1976 or 7? M151A2 "Miss Sandy" Driver, aquired May 2010
Former owner M151A2 "Miss Saigon" Vietnam Rescue Sold Sept 09
Fond appreciation for the M151 Breed!!

Fil Bonica
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: The Stolen Car I bought from a dealer !!!!

Unread post by Fil Bonica » February 26th, 2015, 3:45 pm

At least one chapter is closed!
Good luck on trying to Tweak them in the press.
Fil Bonica
K1ABW

HILLBILLY-06
Sergeant Major of the "G"
Sergeant Major of the "G"

Unread post by HILLBILLY-06 » February 26th, 2015, 4:07 pm

We have to take any out of state vehicles we purchase here in Alabama down to the main office of the court house building, which also does the title transfers and such. They inspect the VIN numbers on the spot before going through the title and tag process, but I don't know what "inspect the VIN" means in the actual form of the term. That is, I don't know if they run the numbers through a data base system or just eyeball it and say OK. I aint really sure.
"FAMOUS LAST WORDS".... "HEY YA'LL, WATCH THIS"

Aswayze
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Aswayze » February 26th, 2015, 5:34 pm

They do the same thing here in Kansas. It is sort of a nuisance but the guys who do it are VERY squared away and most certainly would have caught your situation ASAP.

I almost always end up needing to go to the "special inspections" place since I buy weird vehicles, those guys are even more on the ball, the first time I brought a deuce up there the guy walked out and knew immediately what it was and right where to look on the frame for the number. Not used to non-collectors knowing that sort of thing!

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » February 26th, 2015, 8:35 pm

Aswayze wrote:They do the same thing here in Kansas. It is sort of a nuisance but the guys who do it are VERY squared away and most certainly would have caught your situation ASAP.

I almost always end up needing to go to the "special inspections" place since I buy weird vehicles, those guys are even more on the ball, the first time I brought a deuce up there the guy walked out and knew immediately what it was and right where to look on the frame for the number. Not used to non-collectors knowing that sort of thing!
So where does he look for the VIN on a 151? :roll:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » February 26th, 2015, 8:41 pm

I can't believe the law is not going after the dealer for sale of stolen property. And that is just one of several charges they could pin on him. A dealer that big is going to know when something like that is going down. What happened to the car that the stolen VIN came from? I would bet he knows more than he will ever admit.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

Aswayze
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Aswayze » February 26th, 2015, 10:51 pm

They are pretty happy to just use the budd# on the 151s. They are pretty cooperative in general when it comes to these little fellas.

csmith
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by csmith » February 27th, 2015, 7:33 pm

rickf wrote:I can't believe the law is not going after the dealer for sale of stolen property. And that is just one of several charges they could pin on him. A dealer that big is going to know when something like that is going down. What happened to the car that the stolen VIN came from? I would bet he knows more than he will ever admit.
Rick, I went to the local police who knew him and said they were going to investigate. I believe they opened a file because the COO told me he was working with the local police. I contacted the FBI because it is interstate stolen goods but they seemed not to care. The Mass Attorney Generals Office was not interested because I had an attorney retained at the beginning. The Virginia State Police special agent who handled it here and impounded the car tried to contact the NY State Police because the car was stolen in NY but they would never return her call. Apparently the rule of law does not matter much any more and simple car theft is no big deal.

As I said if I was local he would have paid everything, I would have made so much noise he probably would and paid me to go away. He stuck me because I was an out of towner and he knew it would cost me to force his hand beyond what he was offering. He will get his in the long run. It's over, done, and I am all the wiser for it.

The thing that pisses me off the most is I bought the car because of its safety package, side curtain and side seat air-bags were standard on the Limited in 08. The 06 did not have them, had she been in another similar wreck she would have been seriously injured or died. That bothers me more than any of this. The 06 car was identical in all aspects to the 07 and 08 except for the safety package, since they were listed on the sales sheet and the factory spec sheet for the 08 I thought they were there.
1976 M151A2 4 Color Cammo Mutt, aquired August 09
1976 or 7? M151A2 "Miss Sandy" Driver, aquired May 2010
Former owner M151A2 "Miss Saigon" Vietnam Rescue Sold Sept 09
Fond appreciation for the M151 Breed!!

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » February 27th, 2015, 9:37 pm

I would get some of your local politicians involved. Make them earn that money and lifetime benefits they get for free. I would think a couple of well placed calls from a senator or congressman would wake up the police in several states not to mention the FBI since they are already under the microscope for doing everything BUT there jobs.Don't let up, the phone calls and letters are free. They may have busted that ring but there are many others out there and I still say the dealer knew more than he is going to tell, until the feds get involved. Then he will talk I am sure.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

cavm151
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by cavm151 » March 5th, 2015, 1:24 pm

Sorry to hear about your stolen car fiasco.
Since the ID plate of a M151 is held on with just four screws, and many are now being sold without an ID plate, how many of us are driving stolen property???
1967 M151A1
vintage military electronics

Flyingvan911
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by Flyingvan911 » March 6th, 2015, 2:18 am

I'd stamp the Mutt's VIN somewhere else on it. Somewhere not easy to see unless you know where to look.

sherwan_88
Major
Major

Unread post by sherwan_88 » March 6th, 2015, 5:08 am

My general rule for buying cars is

1. Take the license plate number and run it in the states excise and taxation public database.
2. Run that chassis number and license plate number through the police for any priors regarding the vehicle.
3. Match the license plate registered chassis number with the cars chassis number. The particular cars manual has a complete guide where to find it and how it would be stamped, engraved or welded plate.
4. If its any model later than the year 2000 run a universal obd scanner (costs about $50) and pull the vin number on the ecu.

If everything matches up, government dues are paid and cleared of any reports. Proceed.

In the past years with glut of afghan refugees, their primary means of business was of smuggling cars across the border or scrapping stolen ones for parts locally.
Sherwan

1982 M825 (Former)
Muttless at the moment. :(
The Last Of Its Kind. A Ton Of American Steel.