Project Jigsaw

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

njjeeper
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Re: Project Jigsaw

Unread post by njjeeper » February 8th, 2016, 9:47 am

So this weekend marked the first time the Ferret moved on its own. Sadly, it was dark out but you get the idea. Here is the video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwTqSKO-fY0

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » February 8th, 2016, 11:30 am

Fantastic! How did you go about getting the turret off? I know you were looking into building a three point hitch hoist. And is that an automatic?
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

njjeeper
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by njjeeper » February 8th, 2016, 12:58 pm

I got the top off using a tree branch and a chain hoist :) That's where it was driving out of the garage to.

Its not an automatic but its close. Its called a pre-select transmission. So there is a gear change pedal you have to operate but it has a torque converter so you can stop in gear. 5 forward gears and 5 reverse gears. Not sure I want to go 50 mph in reverse, but the Ferret will do it!

eflexter
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by eflexter » February 10th, 2016, 5:43 pm

Where have you been getting parts?

I have been wanting a Ferret or similar for a long time, but my restoration of a '57 Land Rover made me decide against it. Parts were plentiful on Ebay-England but the shipping was WAY expensive.
1967 M151A1

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » February 10th, 2016, 6:43 pm

njjeeper wrote:I got the top off using a tree branch and a chain hoist :) That's where it was driving out of the garage to.

Not sure I want to go 50 mph in reverse, but the Ferret will do it!
Oddball: These engines are the fastest in any tanks in the European Theater of Operations, forwards or backwards. You see, man, we like to feel we can get out of trouble, quicker than we got into it.

1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

WC Matt
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by WC Matt » February 10th, 2016, 8:42 pm

eflexter wrote:Where have you been getting parts?

I have been wanting a Ferret or similar for a long time, but my restoration of a '57 Land Rover made me decide against it. Parts were plentiful on Ebay-England but the shipping was WAY expensive.
Pat Egan is the only US dealer in parts for Ferrets (last time I checked) other than ebay.

The transmission was designed that way because the ferret being a recon vehicle, would sometimes need the ability to advance in the opposite direction....Rapidly. Daimler's precursor to the Ferret, the WWII Dingo, also had that capability.

Matt

kmam
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread post by kmam » February 10th, 2016, 8:57 pm

Good job! How do you like the jetsream that blows out from the radiator? Although maybe it is diffused without the rear armour fitted...

Howard
Howard

Daimler Ferret Mk 1/2
AM General M151A2
Austin Champ

eflexter
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by eflexter » February 11th, 2016, 1:45 pm

I know there are a few armoured recon vehicles that have steering wheels in the front and the back. Seems like the Saracen is that way. Maybe they use common parts on all of the vehicles.
1967 M151A1

WC Matt
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by WC Matt » February 11th, 2016, 5:00 pm

eflexter wrote:I know there are a few armoured recon vehicles that have steering wheels in the front and the back. Seems like the Saracen is that way. Maybe they use common parts on all of the vehicles.
I think that's the Saladin ( armament carrier-not apc). The German 8X8 armored cars used during & post WWII also had the dual driver's positions fore & aft and a sort of "hydro-static"(?) transmissions similar to the ferret's in so much as you can go as fast in reverse as you can go forwards..

Matt

njjeeper
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by njjeeper » February 12th, 2016, 11:08 am

Parts are not super easy to get if you are impatient but if you can wait its not too bad. I'm waiting on a fuel pump from AUS right now and honestly the wait is not so much fun. That fuel pump is preventing the gas tank from going in, which is holding up a bunch of other stuff.

I think if I was in the market for one of these I would be looking to buy one that's 100% complete with the major assemblies working. It would cost more but its a lot easier to make something look nice again than it is to fabricate/find parts. Much of the wear items are available and shipping isn't too bad. However, if you needed a bevel box or a hub or something large, you may be out of luck. Also, there is very little interchange between Ferrets and other vehicles so its not like you can use spares from other vehicles.

These things are real straight forward once you understand them. The big challenge for me on this was that I didn't take any of it apart so the process of putting it back together was magnified significantly over any other resto I have done. Add to that complexity the situations where the assembly didn't work when it was removed or was reassembled wrong before I got it and you get some real head scratchers :)

While I wait for the fuel pump I will be getting the rest of the electrics working. All the dash indicators are now working, its charging the batteries and it has tach and speedo cables. Next is the lighting(headlights, turn indicators, etc) and I think its going to be a challenge. The wires on the ferret are all the same color for the most part with labels at the ends but the lights/blinkers on this were all removed with a pair of wire cutters. This means I have to party with the multi meter to find each circuit branch for each light. Its also missing the brake light relay so I have to fabricate a replacement from a 24 volt relay. All hail Lucas and his wiring!! :)

TJ

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » February 12th, 2016, 7:02 pm

All hail Lucas, the Prince of Darkness! A test light is easier and quicker for finding the hot wires and you don't have to be staring at a meter, you can see the light from anywhere. And if you are working on a turn signal a digital meter can give you fits trying to see if you have a connection or not. And a meter will nt give any resistance to make a turn signal flash it it is not an electronic flasher. A test light will.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

HILLBILLY-06
Sergeant Major of the "G"
Sergeant Major of the "G"

Unread post by HILLBILLY-06 » February 13th, 2016, 7:24 pm

i made a 24v test light out of one of my brake light bulbs from the 151 days. just soldered some wires on it and tinned the ends hard, then sharpened them with some sandpaper. it worked great too. Also you don't have to even look at that bulb to know it came on, it was bright... LOL
"FAMOUS LAST WORDS".... "HEY YA'LL, WATCH THIS"

njjeeper
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by njjeeper » February 16th, 2016, 2:00 pm

That's a darn good idea using the light rather than the meter. I got a lot done this weekend and in the dark hull, reading the meter was a pain. A light would have been so much simpler. Lol...sometimes the its the easy things that evade us :)

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » February 16th, 2016, 5:24 pm

With Lucas electric on the job you will get used to the dark hull and feeling your way around.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

njjeeper
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by njjeeper » February 23rd, 2016, 5:14 pm

Some pics to go with this update. The new fuel pump is in and that let me install the gas tank. It now runs off its main tank so the last obstacle to being on the road is crossed. All thats left is to finish installing the fenders and boxes and the lights. Brake light circuit has been rebuilt despite missing some components I had to fabricate. I am really trying to get this ready for the MTA show is April....now PICS!