Rusty Traveler

A place to post pics and descriptions of ongoing restoration projects

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Redlight
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Rusty Traveler

Unread post by Redlight » January 22nd, 2018, 3:52 pm

Recently they was a quick Auction on Ebay. However I did not act quick enough to bid and purchase it. However the deal fell through and it was reposted. I purchased the jeep on a trailer and I am now the new owner on a M151.
It needs a lot of work.
The first thing is to retrieve it from New London Ct and bring it to Reading Ma (Just north of Boston) Any one up for a road trip? The trailer The trailer tires are down and I do not know if they will hold air. New London is about 2 hours away from home so I am looking to make the move at one time. I am thinking of A U-haul for the jeep and tow the old trailer empty to save the tires. Or B look to see if AAA will tow the jeep on a flat bed. I have road service with a 200 mile package. Any comments?

I have attached some more pictures. Please comment on what you see. Image
ImageImageImage
Any comments on the Data Plate info vs what you see regarding: age, type etc. While it has turn signal they seem to be after market and not GI, so I think it may be a plain M151 and not a M151a1.
ImageImageImage

I welcome any comments as long as they are not cruel. I have a M151 now and have been working on trailers and other vehicles over the past 30 years. I am now retired and I need to keep busy. It most likely be for sale when I am done. I know that I will not get my labor costs back but I am happy to see another M151 survive.
Thanks
Redlight.

m75
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Re: Rusty Traveler

Unread post by m75 » January 22nd, 2018, 3:57 pm

Data plate looks too fresh, poorly stamped and lacks the acceptance stamp. Not too unusal though.

The taillights look like the later ones used on our Gama Goats, replacing the small red "door" of the first series. We used those until we could "acquire" the M151A2 style light assemblies.
Jim Peterson
SGM, 31B Retired 2015
1961 M151 -Sold
1974 M151A2, Working It!

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » January 22nd, 2018, 4:43 pm

That looks like a very nice find. Congratulations! And what looks like a very substantial trailer. Congratulations on that one too.

Yeah, I sure wouldn't trust those tires (and in any case, you can see they are far too tall) and you're probably looking at a bearing pack x4 but it sounds as if you already know the drill.

I just went through all that on a trailer I recently acquired for my sister who will be taking it from Texas to Ky. Every minute I spent on it was time well spent even if I had to do bearings in 38 degree weather. By all appearances, it had not had a bearing pack since its manufacture in 1994. :shock:

Now is an excellent time to bring up the value of having a magnetic light kit on hand for such occasions. Harbor Freight sells a decent kit for a very reasonable amount. Buy it and you'll sidestep all the hidden problems on the trailer until you're ready to fiddle with it and then have the kit for your next big adventure.

Bottom line is, if you're using that trailer without putting some preventative maintenance in it before you go, you're risking your whole investment. Watch an episode or two of RoadKill on Youtube and you'll be in the mood. :D

Keep us posted on your efforts. Misery loves company!

Cheers,
TJ

Redlight
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Redlight » January 22nd, 2018, 6:43 pm

Thanks for the comments.
I am assuming that the light kit refers to magnetic tail lights for the trailer?
I wonder if the manufacturer serial number could be correct? 2P 5506 I think would be a hood number but I do not know if it is a VIN number. I could not see from the ground if the cowl plate was there. On my M151, the plate is on the frame under the radiator.
Thanks
Redlight

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » January 22nd, 2018, 9:08 pm

so I think it may be a plain M151 and not a M151a1.
I'm going to guess an a1 and not a straight. Main reason is I think I make out the supports under the front fender turn signals. A lot of the other pieces look like they are from a later model such as the top cover of the air filter, the seats are not the screw type, later parking brake, later front bumper, later hood latches, etc. Of course these could have all been placed on a straight after the fact but I'm still going to roll the dice on an a1.

The trailer brake lights look like they belong on the m151 and not the other way around.
Redlight wrote:Thanks for the comments.
I am assuming that the light kit refers to magnetic tail lights for the trailer?
I wonder if the manufacturer serial number could be correct? 2P 5506 I think would be a hood number but I do not know if it is a VIN number. I could not see from the ground if the cowl plate was there. On my M151, the plate is on the frame under the radiator.
Thanks
Redlight
Possible original hood number or made up. Could wet sand the hood down as rickf or muttguru suggests to see if you get those numbers to show up. Could have been/be used as vin number as well.
1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » January 23rd, 2018, 6:49 am

Surveyor wrote:.......Possible original hood number or made up. Could wet sand the hood down as rickf or muttguru suggests to see if you get those numbers to show up. Could have been/be used as vin number as well.
The plate is a blank M151 plate stamped up with M151A1 details (2P is an M151A1). That number may be correct but we need to see a picture of the body-tag first.
Lift the hood, look on the firewall, between the two hood hinges. Write down the details on that little metal tag that should be spot-welded to the firewall and let us know what it says. I can then probably tell you whether it is in fact a 2P-series vehicle.
Ken
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

Rustman
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by Rustman » January 24th, 2018, 7:49 am

Looks like a nice one. I see rust in the same places as they all seem to get it. But how bad? Do you have pictures of the underside? As I dig into mine it's both worse and better at the same time then I expected. At first I was chipping off half inch thick Bondo. But as I dug in, I found a lot of that was just smoothing over where patch panels were laid OVER the existing metal and that not all of those are over as bad of rust as I first thought.

Matt

Redlight
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Redlight » January 24th, 2018, 9:25 am

Thanks for the comments. The jeep is about 2 hours away so it will be a while before i get to take a picture of the body tag. The drivers side floor boards are gone(even with the hard top) and the left rear bumperete is also gone. Any one have any experience with "AAA" towing? Will they take the trailer as well?
Thanks again.
Redlight

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » January 24th, 2018, 11:16 am

Yes, when I spoke of a light kit, I was referring to a removable, magnetic trailer light kit. In my opinion, that's a necessary piece of kit in this hobby.

Looking forward to see more on your project!

Cheers,
TJ

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » January 24th, 2018, 12:55 pm

It has to be registered and broke down for AAA to tow it........................ That said it all depends on the tow truck driver and how he wants to handle it. The people in the main office do not see the vehicle, all they get is a registration for a broken down vehicle so you could use the registration for any of your normal cars as long as the driver goes along with it. The trailer, depends on what size truck he brings and if it will fit between the rails on the bed. Looking at that trailer I am thinking probably not on a standard rollback.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Redlight
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Redlight » March 5th, 2018, 7:07 pm

Greetings,
I finally was able to return to my jeep after some bad weather. I cleaned it up some and inflated the tires on the trailer and the jeep. Plans are being made to ship it the 150 miles home. I do not trust the trailer to make the trip without a problem,.
I was able to take sume pictures of the Budd Plate.
I read the ORD # 8754459
BUDD# 61796
Can someone help identify the Carburetor? Is this a standard model?
It also had a unique passenger seat.
I assume that this is used on the ambulance model. It sure makes it easy to get into the rear seat.
This is were it sits right now. Hoping that good things fall of the other trucks and on to mine.
Last picture before it heads home on a few weeks.

Ken ---any info from the Budd plate would be greatly appreciated.
Redlight

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » March 5th, 2018, 7:33 pm

Redlight wrote:................I read the ORD # 8754459.......BUDD# 61796.
Ken ---any info from the Budd plate would be greatly appreciated.
Redlight
Hello Redlight.....
many thanks for the picture of the tag. From that number, here's what you should have:-

- It's a Ford built M151A1;
- Built under Contract DA20-113-AMC-07507-(T)-(MYP);
- Delivery date around August 1967;
- If it was delivered to the Army,its hood number should be in the 2P 60xx range. That dash dataplate, although not the correct one, may well have the correct hood number on it, copied from a damaged or illegible original plate.

I noticed that it has the folding ambulance seat. If it was originally an M718 ambulance, it would have been delivered several months later than the above date and the other information would be slightly different, too.

If you look at the rear body panel, look for multiple holes drilled in the panel where the ambulance body extension would have been attached. There would also be several holes in the floor inside the vehicle where the stretcher rails etc would have been fitted.

Does this help?
Ken
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

Redlight
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Redlight » March 5th, 2018, 8:39 pm

Thank you Ken,
I found a old tired data plate on the floor by the right rear wheel housing. It would support you idea that the data plates were exchanged and the data restamped. The deliver date is marked as 8/67. I will look for the extra holes when it gets home.
Thanks again.
Redlight

Redlight
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Redlight » March 17th, 2018, 5:50 pm

It is now home. I received a call last week that the storage location was sold and I needed to remove the jeep by Wednesday March 21. Quickly located a method to retrieve the jeep. Below are some pictures of the adventure.
Hand come-a-long the jeep onto (Not into) the trailer.
When we went to load just the jeep found that the drive train was locked up. Most likely the hand brake is rusted on.
On the trailer ready to leave Westbrook Ct. on the way to Reading Ma.
In my driveway at home ready to unload.
Hand unload from the trailer. wife remained inside waiting for a crash into the garage.
Just as it is off the trailer.
It now sits at home waiting for better weather to remove from it transport trailer, and restoration.
Sunny day but cold. High temperature today is 29 degrees. Needs to be at least 50 before I can work outdoors, no heat in the garage.
More to follow.
Thanks for looking.
Redlight

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » March 17th, 2018, 6:49 pm

With a transport trailer that long why didn't you take the 151 off of it's trailer, drag the 51 trailer up on the transport trailer backwards all the way to the front and hang the rear of the 51 trailer over the front as far as you can and still have turning clearance and then pull the 151 up to the 151 trailer and over the hitch. Looks to me like there was plenty of room and that way you didn't have all the drama of trying to load a loaded trailer onto a trailer. Looking at the pics it looks like you could have pulled that 151 trailer all the way to the tires against the front rail which would have left a ton of room to balance the load with the 151. It's home now which is all that matters but if for some reason you ever have to do that again keep that in mind.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone