Restoration Continues...

A place to post pics and descriptions of ongoing restoration projects

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Mutt Hunter
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Restoration Continues...

Unread post by Mutt Hunter » December 19th, 2019, 12:37 pm

Hi folks, and Merry Christmas. I wanted to post a quick update on my project, as it seems to be progressing well. Before i post the pictures, i wanted to say thanks to each of you that have provided invaluable advice and counsel (Rick), sold me parts (Guy and Elvis), given me parts (Hambone), created a mechanical work of art and heart of the project (Brant), and a warrior-like tenacity and craftsmanship that is near-impossible to find these days (Lindsay).

My A2 came from the southern-most part of California. Based on anecdotal history, it had two long-term owners after its retirement. One was an Air Force retiree and the other was a commercial pilot. It wasn't cut and had very little rust, which makes me think it never left the arid area of CA and Arizona. Based on the fact that i found blue paint under all the other coats of paint, my assumption is that it was a USAF jeep and probably spent its entire life at Davis-Monthan AB...and then was sold to the two guys that lived in the Southern CA/Mexico border area.

Its titled as a 1968 ford...which its not. Based on studied analysis and your advice, its an AM General. Because its pre-emission, I guess its in the 1970-1973 range, but i've yet to find a data plate or number stamped anywhere. The data plate that was on it was hand-stamped, and based on its age and condition makes me think it was a blank "real" data plate (because it doesn't have the look and feel of the reproduced ones) that one of these guys found and then stamped themselves. I've scoured these forum pages looking for ideas on where to find the number, but every place suggested has turned up as a dry hole.

Anyhow, here are a few pics. And thanks again to all that are helping indirectly from afar--and to Lindsay who's taken over for me for the next couple weeks to do some body/paint work. He's an amazing friend and an amazing craftsman. He would have made one hell of a soldier.

Initial Condition on Delivery:

Working with Lindsay to Strip her down:

Back to my place for media blasting:

Priming her in un-relenting florida heat.

An amazing restoration of the powerpack by Brant, ready to go, just prior to shipping to me:

And finally to the beginning stages of body work at Lindsay's new shop. Have i mentioned he's pretty good at this?

More to follow in the days/weeks ahead. I hope to meet everybody in Mt. Dora in February. I'll have some parts with me for you guys to fight over. :D
United States Army - 1986-2012
35th Sig Bde (Airborne)
82nd Airborne Division Artillery
B Co, Joint Communications Support Element (Airborne)
1st Infantry Division
US Special Ops Command
Commander, 3rd Joint Communications Squadron (Airborne)
US Central Command

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Restoration Continues...

Unread post by Hambone » December 19th, 2019, 1:08 pm

Looks like you had a solid jeep to start, most turn into swiss cheese after blasting, looks like you are on your way to a nice resto. Keep us posted on your progress, glad I could help.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » December 19th, 2019, 6:33 pm

Curious as to what media was used for blasting... soda?

I certainly hope that fella learns to use a respirator or he's in for big trouble.

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » December 19th, 2019, 8:04 pm

He had the best respirator you could have, and a 100 too. :lol:

Mutt Hunter
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by Mutt Hunter » December 20th, 2019, 10:37 am

Funny you should bring that up--i wasn't in a chem/bio suit that day, but i wasn't taking any chances either. Any time I've ever fired up a grinder, a sander or anything that gets 50 year old, CARC infused dust flying, i'm looking like this:

That's a shot of me from my observation station about 20 feet away from the blaster dude. I kept asking him why he didn't wear anything...and every time he sort of poo-poo'd the idea. And on the blasting day, the dangers were more acute because the media they were using was a really fine silica sand...like playground sand but way more fine. And trust me, its one of the messiest things I've seen in recent memory...there's no truth to the "dustless media blasting" hype.

dee
35th Sig Bde (Airborne)
1st Infantry Division
US Special Ops Command
US Central Command

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by lpcoating » December 20th, 2019, 11:05 am

Is that a water based blast system? If so, how is the metal kept from flash rusting?

Guy
M151 Body Panels - http://www.m151bodypanels.com/

'68 A1 - Under full resto

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by lpcoating » December 20th, 2019, 11:07 am

I just noticed the guy with the garden hose spraying the body. Again, flash rusting isn't an issue?

Guy

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » December 20th, 2019, 12:02 pm

Not sure what they used in this case but I've researched it before. If they were using a dustless water system there is an inhibitor which is injected into the water stream. It prevents flash rust for about a week or so.
1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

Mutt Hunter
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by Mutt Hunter » December 20th, 2019, 12:11 pm

I should have taken pictures of their big-ass trailer that had the blast media tank and other chemicals on it. The process: what they did was blast, and then spray it down from another tank on the trailer as they went along that had a chemical rust inhibitor in it. I can't remember what that chemical was called, but it had a distinct smell to it. It was a two-man crew that worked in tandem. As soon as one major part or component was done, the second guy came along with his chemicals. When they were done, the whole thing got another healthy dose of the garden hose-delivered rust inhibitor.

Bottom line--i didn't really trust it because i'd never blasted anything before. I primed the underbody as soon as it was dried on the rack early the next morning--probably 14 hours later; and then took the truck home and began work to prime the rest of the jeep that same day.

Any small spots of flash rust that popped up on the surface that next day (and a few did indeed pop up) were sanded and then immediately primed with rust-inhibitor laced primer.

Trust me, starting with a pretty clean, generally rust-free jeep was a real blessing and i intended to keep it that way.
35th Sig Bde (Airborne)
1st Infantry Division
US Special Ops Command
US Central Command

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by lpcoating » December 20th, 2019, 12:33 pm

That makes sense. I asked as I was curious and have no experience with that type of product. It would be interesting to know what the chemicals are as the work is being done outside and the waste is going into the ground. Laws vary by state but in NY, the EPA would be all over that type of process.

Guy

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » December 20th, 2019, 12:41 pm

Just a quick search of one such company lists theirs as

Effective for up to 72 hours
Non-Toxic & Non-Hazardous
Acid & Phosphate Free
Water-Soluble
Biodegradable
Non-Flammable

similar to Holdtight 102.
1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » December 20th, 2019, 1:42 pm

In other words, probably soda, in water.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » December 20th, 2019, 2:04 pm

You can see the fine sand on the ground in a couple of the pics, it also looks like it was wet blasting with water and sand? If so that eliminates the dust and what you were seeing was water mist. That would be the only way they would be allowed to use sand outside of a contained booth. Even inside booths I think sand has been outlawed for dry blasting due to silicosis.

Nothing like working with a spotlessly clean slate! Any welding that needs to be done is a dream, the welds look like they are poured on. :D
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » December 20th, 2019, 6:04 pm

I always recycled my sand and by the time I was done it was very fine. Not moon-dust-fine rather like finely ground black pepper. At that point, the media you are pushing is so dense it requires a great deal of pressure to move it at a speed where it's still cutting. They must have a really nice set up. :mrgreen:

Mr. Recovery
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Mr. Recovery » December 20th, 2019, 7:56 pm

Did it look like this? :)

Dan.
1960 M151 Run 1
1963 M151 Willys DoD 10-63 in Baltimore
1989 Alley Cat. "work in Progress"
NRA Life Member
American Legion Post 275 Fl