A place to post pics and descriptions of ongoing restoration projects

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Horst
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Restauración A2

Unread post by Horst » January 24th, 2021, 11:32 am

Thank you for the info!

bondo = putty, whatever the correct name is, the military would probably not use it, that made me think some civilian owner did it

www.m51bodypanels.eu is Richard, also a member of this site, he imports CMDs panels to Europe.
Horst

1972 USMC M151A2 w/ROPS (ex Barstow) and M416
1962 M201 and trailer
1966 GTO,1982 E350 Skoolie, 1987 SJ413, 1987 911
Gone: 2xM35A2c, Unimog 404S, Hanomag AL28, DKW Munga

rupert's
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by rupert's » January 24th, 2021, 12:36 pm

Horst wrote:
January 24th, 2021, 11:32 am
Thank you for the info!

bondo = putty, whatever the correct name is, the military would probably not use it, that made me think some civilian owner did it

www.m51bodypanels.eu is Richard, also a member of this site, he imports CMDs panels to Europe.
Right! Talk to Richard, I remember now, a long time ago.

Regarding the putty, I do not know if the military used it, at least in this car if it has been used, in fact I am sure that at some point it has received a blow and needed a repair, the hood was clearly repaired, the grille front also and in this photo you can clearly see a mismatch that later I had to square ...
It is seen that the repair was ... regular.
There it is, between the grille and the fins you can see that it does not fit, there is one side wider than the other ...
https://www.g838.org/download/file.php? ... &mode=view

Sorry my ignorance ... guys is it another place for selling panels?

rupert's
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by rupert's » January 24th, 2021, 1:27 pm

We continue with other substitutions.
This piece is the bottom part of the taillights, both were eaten from rust, I am going to upload the images by one, since I did the same operation on both sides
12.jpg
Draw, cut and weld the piece until it is perfect, then I add a small piece of sheet welded by points only in the joint area, in this way, when welding I do not depend only on the weld bead, but there is behind a little more force, I do not know if I explain myself, this I have done in all the unions ... I do not know if I explain myself
11.jpg
I punctuate it and finally fill the joint gap with solder and file ...
13.jpg
Then it's up to the dashboard, the area that goes under the glass fell off just by touching it, rotten. Changing the dashboard was not feasible, besides being very expensive it is not worth it just for that damage, I looked for a solution and this seemed the best.
21.jpg
Measure, cut, weld, file ...
22.jpg
Little by little, point by point I welded, taking care not to expand the sheet and not eat the one from the car itself.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rupert's
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by rupert's » January 24th, 2021, 1:43 pm

Then I continued to cover small flaws.
I also had to replace a small piece of tube in the center of the dashboard
IMG_5299.JPG
IMG_5366 (1).JPG
Then I continued to cover small flaws.
I also had to replace a small piece of tube in the center of the dashboard
IMG_20170506_184947.jpg
yyyyy more holes plugged
IMG_5323.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rupert's
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by rupert's » January 24th, 2021, 1:54 pm

Some pieces arrived ...
Conductor y acompañante...
IMG_5483.jpg
The rear bumper was made by me and the antenna mount came in the car, but it seems that it is not original, it seems that someone made this mount at some point. It does not have the drills that what I see on the internet usually have, it is also very heavy, I do not know if the original will be so heavy.
IMG_5481.jpg
And finally ... I have made this one, custom, with a piece of sheet metal and a lot of patience, with a slightly peculiar technique, but it has given an acceptable result, there I was trying to see how it stayed.
IMG_5478.JPG

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » January 24th, 2021, 5:08 pm

Nice work, especially on that floor section. I looks like you possibly used regular hammers? I have done work like that with forming hammers and sand bags, easier to get the rounded edges.

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-panel ... hIEALw_wcB
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

rupert's
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by rupert's » January 24th, 2021, 5:42 pm

rickf wrote:
January 24th, 2021, 5:08 pm
Nice work, especially on that floor section. I looks like you possibly used regular hammers? I have done work like that with forming hammers and sand bags, easier to get the rounded edges.

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-panel ... hIEALw_wcB
Rickf! It's the first time I've seen this technique ... I hadn't even thought about it. I did it with a normal hammer, the truth is that it cost me a lot of work and time. If I had seen this, perhaps the plate that goes under the tank could have been made like this, instead of how I have made it more ugly, I will upload it later.

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by lpcoating » January 24th, 2021, 9:52 pm

Very impressive work. That was a major restoration!

Guy
M151 Body Panels - http://www.m151bodypanels.com/

'68 A1 - Under full resto

rupert's
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by rupert's » January 25th, 2021, 2:50 pm

Structural repairs are coming to an end, only the back part is missing that I will do after sandblasting.
At this point I finished plugging some minor holes that were missing in the bodywork and prepped everything for sandblasting.
IMG_20170521_124158.jpg
After 1000 tests, I last tested all the panels to verify that everything was correct
IMG_20180429_194525.jpg
Here seeing that everything fits, the lid of the toolbox with the seat support and the space for the batteries, with the floors in place! all right. I also tried the fuel tank with the driver's seat but I have no photos, I think I lost several photos in the last change of mobile phone.
Vamos con el chorreado de arena.
There are few companies that do sandblasting in my area, I found one that did it with water but without corrosion inhibitor, I rejected

In the end I was lucky and a friend left me an old working diesel compressor and the place to sand it without disturbing anyone, so I bought myself a small low-priced, low-quality sandblaster as I was only going to use it at this time.
IMG_20171201_133913.jpg
In case anyone is interested in knowing my experience with this sandblasting machine ... I will give you a summary. If you can avoid it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seriously, being an economic tool it gives many problems, I will tell you some ...
The hose breaks from the passage of the sand, I remember that I ended up with a too short piece of hose hahaha in the end I always had to have the deposit near me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The nozzles of the gun wear out easily, even the gun was worn out inside, ah! and also the T that joins the air with the sand under the tank I had to replace it.
I also remember that it was very uncomfortable because the mask to protect you from the silica (very very important) is uncomfortable and the fabric hood to protect your head and eyes from sand splashes seems like a joke and takes a lot of vision. In addition, the glass becomes opaque and must be changed from time to time.
Spend a pallet of sandbags to sand the whole car and all the parts, it takes about 3 full days, 2 days for the car and 1 day for the parts ... Take and collect everything. I spent a week on vacation, it was hard work. Of course everything possible with the help of my father who was always there to give me a hand!

All prepared! let's go to the mess!
IMG_20180630_072345.jpg

rupert's
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by rupert's » January 25th, 2021, 3:15 pm

As I said before! my father always there! in repairs too! : D: D also deserves mention of him!
IMG_20180701_104336.jpg
The truth is that the result is very impressive! used to seeing the car full of rust everywhere, suddenly you sand it and the sheet metal looks so clean that it seems incredible. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
IMG_20180701_132136.jpg
IMG_20180701_132214.jpg
The first day I did the back, it had many gaps that were difficult to access and time went by, obviously, every day the last thing when I finished priming quickly so that moisture has no option of damaging the sheet again
IMG_20180701_183837.jpg

RAFINDER
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by RAFINDER » January 25th, 2021, 3:23 pm

It is looking magnificent, it has a lot of work. Congratulations.
I'm sorry, but I use it to read and write the google translate.

rupert's
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by rupert's » January 25th, 2021, 6:23 pm

The next day it was the front end.
IMG_20180705_113137.jpg
IMG_20180705_113009.jpg
I used Hempadur brand naval primer that contains epoxy and cink, it is a specific anti-corrosion primer and with a lot of hardness, if you can't put a mark I erase it, I can say with complete confidence that the primer is very hard and has an acceptable thickness. I am happy, I also think that a good primer is basic to avoid future problems, the bad color, that you can have problems to cover with another color.
IMG_20180705_174829.jpg
IMG_20180705_133834.jpg
Impeccable and rust-free, from this moment the characteristic smell of the car also changed. :shock: :shock:
the pieces were also sandblasted.
IMG_20181003_161404.jpg

rupert's
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by rupert's » January 25th, 2021, 6:35 pm

As I said before, all the pieces have been sandblasted and then primed, all the suspension arms, deposit, I don't know ... absolutely everything, I'm not going to upload these images because I think I can avoid uploading these photos, there are already many, they are missing many and I think that those of these pieces can be avoided, if someone wants to see something of this for anything I upload the corresponding image.

rupert's
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by rupert's » January 25th, 2021, 7:44 pm

When I was in previous repairs I had to remove a reinforcement that has under the rear floor, on the shock absorbers, this part was also rusted and had holes in some areas, also I did not like the idea of leaving that rust under there since the sand He couldn't get in there either if he left it on.
In the end I decided to cut this sheet off, and now that it is primed and clean of rust I have to leave it as close to its previous state
I cut the plates with the shape they had, and I adapted an angle to everything around it as best I could and welded it
IMG_20181117_131908.jpg
also to the upper part of the shock absorber support (it was like this before) and for a longer part I used a piece of tube, perhaps aesthetically it may seem that it is not right, but it is a piece that I did not find anywhere and I also think that It has been very strong and then it will not be seen ...
IMG_20181117_161713.jpg
IMG_20181118_140255.jpg
From here I started to weld pieces of the ground, well I will explain the process that I have followed.
First we have to be sure that the piece sits well everywhere and is well squared with the pieces that surround it, then mark where the welding points go and decide the separation, I did them very close together, too much, but once I started and I had to continue. I advise to make them a little more separated.
After marking them both on the car and on the piece to be welded, you have to make the holes to give the points and then file the primer on all sides, 2 sides of the piece and 1 side of the car structure.
IMG_20181201_121352.jpg
Well, for the welding and the ground to be as perfect as possible when we start to weld everything has to be correct and it cannot be moved at any time, because of the heat of the welding the sheet deforms a little, to avoid this As much as possible, I made small holes to hold the floor temporarily with sheet metal screws, in this way ...
1st screw in several places, in this photo you can see some screws, although they are red but there they are
IMG_20181201_125951.jpg
2º doy puntos de soldadura cada vez en un lugar diferente para no calentar mucho la misma zona
3º como la pieza esta sujeta con tornillos el calor no la deforma, según avanzo voy quitando tornillos y poniéndolos en otros lugares y así hasta que cada vez hay menos tornillos y está todo soldado.

Se entiende lo que explico en el hilo? Intento explicarlo todo para que se entienda, si no se entiende me gustaría saberlo porque me estaría metiendo el trabajo para nada, tal vez por el traductor...

rupert's
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by rupert's » January 25th, 2021, 8:06 pm

2nd I give welding points each time in a different place so as not to heat the same area too much
3º as the piece is fastened with screws the heat does not deform it, as I advance I remove screws and put them in other places and so on until there are fewer and fewer screws and everything is welded.
IMG_20181201_135827.jpg
We continue with a seat support
IMG_20190209_174651.jpg
Here you can see what I was saying about randomly fastening with screws before welding ...
IMG_20181202_092800.jpg
IMG_20190202_140226.jpg
This is where I come today! Another day I will continue with the task, maybe tomorrow I have another time, now, thanks to the covid you can only go to work and do the shopping ... for sure tomorrow I will take another time to continue.