Restauración A2

A place to post pics and descriptions of ongoing restoration projects

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Re: Restauración A2

Unread post by m3a1 » June 20th, 2021, 2:35 pm

I'm having difficulty 'reading' your photos. You mentioned you have the stock heat diffuser (shield) in place, is that correct?

Keep in mind, the stock heat diffuser really only works well if there is air flowing over it and I'm not talking creeping along in a parade but actual driving. To my way of thinking, it's part 'heat shield' and part 'heat sink'. Call it what you will, it is a necessary component.

If anyone has one of those new-fangled point and shoot temperature gauges if would be interesting to map the changes in temperature along the length of the exhaust system, if only to establish what is normal.

We've heard from various individuals about the heat in that area, On my truck, I never experienced anything that I felt was unusual, or even problematic. Other fellas complain about high heat there. Is this difference just a matter of personal concern or are we really talking about serious heat? Hard to tell.

And yet, with each person's observations, we don't know if they're running a lean condition or have any restrictions to their exhaust system which could very easily cause higher exhaust temps. So, it's hard to tell what's going on with any one person's truck without full disclosure.

All that aside, your installation looks very nice and tidy and, at least for that panel I'm betting you will have excellent results. Just remember, if the vertical panels are uncovered, some heat will inevitably migrate up to your horizontal panel so don't be alarmed if your results aren't quite as good as you expected.

Cheers,
TJ

rupert's
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by rupert's » June 20th, 2021, 3:18 pm

m3a1 wrote:
June 20th, 2021, 2:35 pm
I'm having difficulty 'reading' your photos. You mentioned you have the stock heat diffuser (shield) in place, is that correct?

Cheers,
TJ
Yes ... Everything is original and in its place, and the air continues to flow as before, if you look at the car from below it looks like in the image, maybe the photograph is taken very close.
It is simply a personal concern, it is nothing important, and it was not a very alarming heat, but that plate between the two seats was getting very hot, more than I wanted.
Soon I will see how much it gets hot with this insulator, I wanted to share it because it is a topic that was discussed here.
Greetings

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » June 20th, 2021, 7:02 pm

Well, as I mentioned before mine got hot enough to melt the plastic bag holding brake hardware. And this was not a wimpy bag, it was the original equipment bag from the 70's. Great for keeping a cup of coffee hot on cold days though.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

rupert's
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by rupert's » July 21st, 2021, 5:41 pm

After testing the insulation I can say that the area between the two seats gets hot but you can touch it with your hand without burning yourself, it is an inexpensive thing and it gives an acceptable result. All the best