1992 Mercedes-Benz 250 GD - Former German Army Truck

Military vehicles other than M-151s that might be of interest to our members

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

m75
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: 1992 Mercedes-Benz 250 GD - Former German Army Truck

Unread post by m75 » June 29th, 2021, 6:27 pm

If you don't mind, what was the cost for purchase and delivery to the Port of Los Angeles?
Jim Peterson
SGM, 31B Retired 2015
1961 M151 -Sold
1974 M151A2, Working It!

mrdibbles
Colonel
Colonel

Re: 1992 Mercedes-Benz 250 GD - Former German Army Truck

Unread post by mrdibbles » June 30th, 2021, 10:45 am

Jim,
Below is a good link providing some information re: importing. It does not cover specifically costs as much as it does the process and then need, or lack of needing, a registered import agent (aka: RI).

I personally did not have a good experience with importing, and my RI was not very customer friendly, but he was both the importer and the seller (and he held on the cards). I purchased the vehicle sight unseen (which I never advise). Luckily that worked out for me and I received the vehicle in the condition (or close) to what was disclosed. Of course there were things the seller said about the condition that I would not have said... but that's what you get with sight unseen.

If I were to do it again I would buy one already here in the US, I would lay hands on it, and I would buy it with title in hand. When you import a vehicle, and register it in the US for the first time, the title process can be lengthy. I have been waiting for mine to arrive for over two months. Not fun.

I don't want to say openly what I paid but it is fair to say they are expensive. I will provide a link below for examples that have sold in the US so you can judge for yourself if they are costly or a value. Mine drives better and more comfortably than my 2020 Jeep Gladiator though... which is saying something for a 1992.

In the link below you'll see the price range and note that prices have increased considerably since 2017-2018. As people are realizing how expensive Land Rovers are becoming the prices of these have started climbing too (given their relative value against Rovers). I wish I could have bought in 2017... I paid 2021 prices, and imported it during a pandemic when containers doubled in pricing and ships were in short supply, which is not altogether the best timing.

Link to import information:
https://clubgwagen.com/forum/viewtopic. ... st#p176562

Link to auctions on BAT that have sold:
https://bringatrailer.com/auctions/resu ... benz+250GD

Matt
1992 Mercedes-Benz 250GD Wolf - Former German Army
St. Augustine, Florida