Major General

Re: Early Brake Lines

Unread post by raymond » March 3rd, 2019, 9:15 pm

Now back to my original points

Lengths of brake line are readily available locally for reasonable prices
So are the nuts
So are the tools
They can be bent to shape fairly easily
Support the tee when tightening or loosening the lines as the mounting bracket is easily broken off
You can do it yourself for a fraction of the price of buying ready made lines, and that includes purchasing the tools.
Don't use the cloth loom unless authenticity is a must as the loom traps dirt and moisture
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » March 4th, 2019, 12:12 am

Was hoping to get away with not having to make them... wasn't too confident and I wanted to make absolutely sure they worked. In the end I ended up having to buy the tools anyway but used a 12in section from AutoZone that had the flares on the ends so I ended up only having to make two doubles. No leaks far as I can tell and the brakes seem to be working like they should although I have yet to test at higher than driveway speeds.

Still have cloth on the lines. Will probably take off in the near future.
1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » March 7th, 2019, 9:13 pm

Everything appears to be okay with the lines. I did find that I do have a leak at the banjo. Amounts to about 1 drip per day. Will see if I can tighten up on it again one more time this weekend. Does have new washers. Fingers crossed. Thanks all.
1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

Barlow L
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by Barlow L » March 7th, 2019, 11:00 pm

Surveyor wrote:Everything appears to be okay with the lines. I did find that I do have a leak at the banjo. Amounts to about 1 drip per day. Will see if I can tighten up on it again one more time this weekend. Does have new washers. Fingers crossed. Thanks all.
For the last 10-12 years. replacement copper washers have been a nightmare at my day job as well as this old iron. They were just to hard. It had gotten to the point I just reused the originals with never a problem.
Someone here, I believe it was Rick a while back suggested annealing the new washers. It WORKS well.

Lee

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » March 7th, 2019, 11:52 pm

It was me and it does work assuming the washers are actually pure copper and not some alloy made from recycled god only knows what. It is always worth a try though.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone