Fuel Filter THread

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

kmam
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Fuel Filter THread

Unread post by kmam » March 24th, 2019, 1:44 am

I am having some problems (again) which seem to be caused by crud getting into the carbie from the fuel line. I intend replacing the metal cased filter that screws into the carbie with a connection for a rubber fuel line and then running a common in line filter. I need to fit a male thread to tag to connect the fuel line and can either fit it in place of the existing filter or fit it directly to the carbie. I am not sure what thread the carbie and filter are so I can find a suitable part. Can someone please tell me and also if either of them is tapered?
Howard

Daimler Ferret Mk 1/2
AM General M151A2
Austin Champ

Mark
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Fuel Filter THread

Unread post by Mark » March 24th, 2019, 5:20 am

The thread is straight in the hole for carburetor inlet, I think it is 1/8"--27 NPT so OJT might be required with a nipple.My terminology might need to be corrected
mark

1968 m274A5
1960 m151
1981 m151A2
1964 m416
1971 m416

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » March 24th, 2019, 9:47 am

The threads in the carburetor are straight thread and NOT tapered pipe thread. This is why there was a special fitting on the carb originally that had straight threads and a flat brass nut with a nylon sealing washer on the carburetor side and female 1/8" pipe thread on the other side for the filter to thread into. What happens is a lot of people just thread the filter directly into the carb since the thread count is the same and it will thread in, the problem is that the filter is tapered pipe thread and now it is enlarging the hole in the inlet of the carburetor. I have seen many times where this splits the top of the carburetor, especially on the old Holley carbs. Once the filter is screwed into the carb body and if it is screwed in tightly then the original fitting is probably no longer going to work. If you keep trying to put new filters in there eventually the carb will break or it will start leaking at that point. You can get a male hose barb fitting that has 1/8" pipe thread and put it in the carb but do not use teflon tape as that will lubricate it and probably cause it to tighten to tight and break the carb. What I did on mine,I still have the original fitting and filter, is I took the original filter and drilled out the insides of it so it is straight through and then reinstalled it. This way it still looks original and I added the inline filter in the inlet line. If you are running an A2 be sure to put your inline filter somewhere away from the exhaust manifold, Most people mount them right before the carb which is right on top of the exhaust manifold and then they wonder why they have vapor lock. :roll: :roll: While I prefer to have the filter after the pump on an A2 everywhere after the pump is near a heat source. At the pump outlet you have the lower radiator hose and higher up you are right in the hot air from the radiator and then you have the exhaust manifold. If you prefer to have it after the pump then close to the lower radiator hose is the best option.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

kmam
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread post by kmam » March 24th, 2019, 5:43 pm

Great info, thanks to both posters. I like your suggestions Rick and will go down that path...
Howard

Daimler Ferret Mk 1/2
AM General M151A2
Austin Champ