This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

m75
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

A2 Spindle Woes

Unread post by m75 » April 1st, 2019, 11:21 am

Not an April's Fool Day entry BTW.

I shared with Rick yesterday the stoppage I'm experiencing with removing the left-rear spindle for greasing the bearings.

Prior to this I serviced the right-rear, and the brake drum and spindle remained together when removed, and I didn't have to remove the prop shaft. Easy, right?

Moved to the left side. Wheel off, brake drum off (without spindle this time, which remained on). Removed adjusting nut and washer and pulled. No dice.

OK, well since the spindle holds the stub axle shaft through the splines, I'll drop the prop shaft and push the stub axle out the back of the backing plate. What? No, it won't pop out either.

So, I applied a three-arm puller to the spindle, which will (in theory) pull the spindle while at the same time push the stub axle out the rear of the backing plate, right?

Nope. Nothing moves.

Curious, as I know of nothing left that mechanically should prevent the spindle and stub axle from both popping out of the assembly.

I have applied "motivation" to the puller, hoping that a sudden strike might persuade it to come loose, but again, no.

Since rebuilding the bearings, seals, sleeves, support arms and brakes, the truck has only been driven back and forth in the driveway to allow for cleaning. No road work. Not even application of service brakes (pending a bleed of the system). Stored inside, no freezing weather, no exposure to wet.

Ideas?
Jim Peterson
SGM, 31B Retired 2015
1961 M151 -Sold
1974 M151A2, Working It!

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Re: A2 Spindle Woes

Unread post by m3a1 » April 1st, 2019, 12:26 pm

I believe I sent you a link earlier....tutorial with photos. Did you review it?

Start here and it kinda meanders around to final reassembly. http://g838.org/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=8354&start=75

Your theory is sound. Remove the whole unit from the control arm. Obviously this means removing the brakes in order to get to the bolts.

Get it up on a table and look it over very very closely. If you still don't see anything that is obviously wrong, then what is wrong is hidden from view and that means a bearing issue that went unresolved. I'm thinking it has spun and debris is the culprit.

Pullers can only do so much (as you have already found out). Something down in there is obviously very much in need of your attention. I know you know the following already but I'm going to write this for people who will read this thread much later on.

DON'T USE A HAMMER!

(I know how you guys LOVE to use hammers.)

AND DON'T COOK YOUR HUB!

(I know how you guys love to use torches.)

Go to the hydraulic press after putting a protective nut on the end of that shaft. The nut is used to support the threads and give the end of the shaft more mass. The nut should be screwed down flush with the end of the shaft or even ever-so-slightly below it. Your press should engage the end of the shaft only. It should not be pressing on the nut in any way. (Yes, boys and girls, you can actually compress and stretch the threads on threaded shafts, bolts and whatnot.)

Take the time to line up your press very carefully for a perfectly straight push and you'll get the best push possible.

If your nut went on smoothly and if it doesn't come off just as smoothly you'll know you have compressed your shaft somewhat. Doubtful, but it could happen. Better to be safe, than sorry and this nut is an easy way to dodge a bullet or find that you have crunched something that shouldn't be crunched.

If you don't have a press, do the Harbor Freight thing and you'll have a new tool. I get along fine with the smaller, less expensive one which, as I recall, was about $89 out the door.

Cheers,
TJ

m75
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by m75 » April 1st, 2019, 1:43 pm

Update, and thanks for the recommendations.

The overnight tension with puller applied didn't show any results. I reversed the adjusting nut and used the (deleted) method to persude the flange to give it up. The pieces finally separated, no with apparent issues resulting to the threads of the stub axle.

I saw no obvious reason for the two elements to lock together when viewed individually. I moved the stub axle over to the still-disassembled right side and found that it (the left side axle) worked just as well there as the right side assembly. I then placed the axle back into the left spindle and saw that it would not seat fully, about 80% down but stopping there. It also started to lock in again, and had to be convinced to come out again.

So, it appears that I have a problem with the left side spindle. I'll replace it and let you know what develops. Since I have to order one, it will be a few days before I see the results.
Jim Peterson
SGM, 31B Retired 2015
1961 M151 -Sold
1974 M151A2, Working It!

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » April 1st, 2019, 7:01 pm

You used a hammer, didn't you....? :roll:

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » April 1st, 2019, 7:16 pm

Using a hammer on the puller is perfectly acceptable and is actually the ONLY way to get most wheel hubs off of tapered axles. Also used for frozen motor pulleys. When I say hammer on puller that is within reason. The pressure of the puller means usually just a small shock form the hammer on the puller rod will pop most frozen items loose.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

m75
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by m75 » April 1st, 2019, 8:38 pm

All done, replacement spindle installed.

I could blame Rick for all this, as I was experimenting with his recommended Meat Flavor Injector-modified grease gun to service the wheel bearings.
That works well, by the way, good job Rick!
Jim Peterson
SGM, 31B Retired 2015
1961 M151 -Sold
1974 M151A2, Working It!

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » April 1st, 2019, 11:48 pm

Should I tell him, Rick? Or will you?

:lol:

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » April 2nd, 2019, 9:05 am

m3a1 wrote:Should I tell him, Rick? Or will you?

:lol:
Not sure what you mean but I don't remember ever talking about a meat flavor injector method of servicing bearings. I think I know what you are talking about, A hypodermic needle style grease fitting putting grease in the bearing? If so then that did not come from me. I always prefer the proper way of packing the bearing by hand or with a bearing packer.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » April 2nd, 2019, 10:57 am

Perhaps he meant using the word "hammer" :idea:

And you know what happens and who shows up when you use the word "hammer" :roll:
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus