Sluggish when starting

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

CaptB
Corporal
Corporal

Sluggish when starting

Unread post by CaptB » September 4th, 2019, 3:18 pm

My Mutt has now been running great for two months an used nearly every day. Read somewhere that when starting it was a good idea to turn over the starter a few times with the ignition off before switching on the ignition, can only assume that this was to pump fuel into the carb before ignition. Anyway I started to do this and it seemed to work ok, however i have noticed recently when I turn over with the ignition off no problem, when I turn on the ignition the starter seems to struggle to turn over the engine. The battery voltage seems ok any ideas

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Sluggish when starting

Unread post by Hambone » September 4th, 2019, 4:00 pm

How is your timing?

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » September 4th, 2019, 4:58 pm

Either timing or the batteries are going bad. When was the last time you checked the water level in the batteries? (if they are serviceable). Turning it over with the switch off will only serve to flood it but if you have weak batteries it can help to get it turning by not having the spark fighting the starter.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » September 4th, 2019, 5:29 pm

I believe the turn over with ignition off was a suggestion by TJ for straights or a1's with an electric fuel pump. It was to get the oil pumping and pressure built up somewhat before turning the ignition on. Especially for vehicles like mine that currently only get started once per week or less. Ignition on, full choke, and gas to the floor after a couple rev's with the ignition off and it starts up every time.

1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » September 4th, 2019, 7:31 pm

CaptB..... it's always a good idea to hold down the clutch pedal with your left foot when you start the vehicle. Doing it that way means that the gears in the power train don't have to turn over in cold, thick oil.

The early M151 had a bracket attached to the clutch pedal which actually engaged the starter button when depressed. Unless you still have that bracket (which I doubt), then you'll need to do it with your 'clutch-foot'.
Ken
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » September 4th, 2019, 11:11 pm

Hey, let's check those grounds and electrical contacts from time to time, people. These are old vehicles that haven't seen a lot of real military maintenance in quite a while and to be fair, the military had these when they were new, so if you are the entire maintenance team and you're keeping yours going all by yourself, pat yourself on the back. Things will happen.

Along with the obvious culprits already mentioned, you may just have a starter switch that is corroded (yeah, that push-button thingy on the floor). It's just a simple wedge on a spring that you're depressing between two contacts. Not only can those bits get corroded, if the spring gets weak or the button isn't springing back up crisply because it's filled with junk, some arcing can take place and burned contacts mean less conductivity, less conductivity can mean low voltage, which can result in...sluggish starting.

Cheers,
TJ

P.S. You really have no problems until you have something at least as big as a half track. The saga continues around here....

CaptB
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by CaptB » September 5th, 2019, 12:16 am

Thanks guys, the timing is ok and the starter switch is also ok so looks like its time for some new batteries I will update when I have fitted them.

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » September 5th, 2019, 2:05 am

Cajon friend, " Especially for vehicles like mine that currently only get started once per week or less." I think you mean once a year . lol

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » September 5th, 2019, 10:23 am

Pretty religious about firing it up every Friday afternoon but you are right, my ocd tendencies and this project's timeframe don't like each other. Higher Power decided I needed a lesson in patience I guess. :D
1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

Cobra5
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Cobra5 » September 5th, 2019, 10:46 am

Load test each of your batteries if you think the starter is turning too slow. Just because they have ok voltage doesn't mean they are good.